Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM   #24421
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2, iPad, KindleFire and NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I can say that I don't miss St. Louis for the summer heat. Oppresive and it's almost worse at night when the humidity skyrockets.

It was a normal July day at 26C yesterday. It felt hot though as we've only had twelve days since the beginning of May at 26C or above. Which is very weird. So much rain in June that the mosquitos are horrific so that is my rant. Go to h-e-double hockey sticks mosquitos!
It's 44.44C in Phoenix today, and yes, bygod, I'd managed to arrange an appointment out of the office today. I'm positively wrung out.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #24422
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Probably not the best time to bring up our refreshing 68 F then I guess
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #24423
badgoodDeb
Wizard
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm-many, Kindle1, K3, iPad, iPhone 4
Yeah, no, probably not. Considering I just did the conversion, and 44.44C is 112 F !
badgoodDeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM   #24424
HomeInMyShoes
Ginormous Intergalactic
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Ouch. We're at 27C (80F) with the humidex around 32C (90F) and that is too hot for me. Of course, the thunderstorms with potential tornados are rolling through town within the next few hours and the temperature will be 10C cooler pretty quick.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #24425
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Probably not the best time to bring up our refreshing 68 F then I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah, no, probably not. Considering I just did the conversion, and 44.44C is 112 F !
Hearing these temperatures amazes me... I'm supposed to be the one living in ridiculously hot, steamy climes. It's a jungle, after all! But it's cooler here now than so many parts of the US, and this is Thailand's summer. Right now it's 28 degrees Centigrade... 82F! And there's a delightful breeze blowing through the apartment. I have a small fan on, blowing on the back of my computer tower just to keep that a bit cooler, but even the computer temps are reading in the comfort zone!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #24426
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Urghghghg. And I shouldn't complain--up here where I am, at the base of the mountains, is "cool." Down in the city, it's 118°-120°F. I mean, really. You haven't lived until you've puttered around when it's 122°F. I have (once had to take care of a barn full of horses at those temps. Lovely fun).

We have a place in the mountains in WYO, but the trip is a bitch (15 hours, you moronic writers for Longmire [Show], not 2!), the bandwidth available up there is TEEEENY (think dial-up days of yore), and the cats hate travelling. But on days like today...when getting INTO the car burns your hands; when trying to pump gas is literally painful...it's hard to deal with.

Hitch
Old 07-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #24427
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Lol! I was wondering if anyone else was picking up on the whirlwind t rips to Denver! While it is true that wyoming is a sub state to Colorado, those travel times ate a hoot
Old 07-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #24428
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Lol! I was wondering if anyone else was picking up on the whirlwind t rips to Denver! While it is true that wyoming is a sub state to Colorado, those travel times ate a hoot
It's absurd. You can tell that the writers are in Hollywood, or some CA suburb, where their idea of a "long trip" is a 7-mile drive to the Valley. It would be 6.5 hours from my place in the Upper Hoback to Denver, one-way. As I mentioned, it's over 15 hours from WY to AZ, from one house to the other. And that's mostly driving autobahn speeds, not 55.

They had a map on the show at one point in time, when they were looking for somebody, that seemed to show that the fictional town/county is somewhere south/southeast of the Wind River Nation, which means that the bloody drive would be not less than 3.5 hours. Each way. Not undoable, but not 15 minutes down the road, either.

This is the American West, folks. Hell, I drive more than 30 miles RT to my closest, and I mean, closest real (grocery/pharmacy) store of any kind. It's 20miles to the nearest convenience store, RT. And I'm nearly "in town." When I lived back east, in 8 hours, you could drive through multiple states. Now, I would need to drive nearly that far just to get outside of Arizona. {shrug}.

The endless Longmire boneheaded mistakes--and, man, they make a lot--are something that got on my nerves so much that I bloody blogged about it--something I never do. It's just depressing. Good cast, lovely surroundings, super base material (the books) to work from...and I know Craig Johnson, the author, is a resident, so I'm sure he didn't write that silliness. The boneheaded boo-boos constantly jerk me out of the story.

Hitch
Old 07-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #24429
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

I'm especially tickled at them using downtown Santa Fe as their local town
Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM   #24430
Rumpelteazer
Wizard
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Black, Kobo Aura HD
My Kobo is acting up, again.

I tried various things, including a factory reset and still the home button becomes unresponsive after a while (varies how long that takes to happen). It looked like hooking it up to the computer resolved the issue for a while, but that doesn't work anymore.

I'm tired of troubleshooting and fussing so I pulled out my trusty old Kindle 4 (non-touch, non-lighted) for now.

I love(d) my Kobo Aura HD; the screen, the options to adjust about anything. But I also like the stability of the Kindles. I've tried to see how much it costs to get a Paperwhite and case shipped to the Netherlands, but it's over $250. In September I'm going to Newcastle for a midweek, I might be tempted to get one then. However, usually around that time of the year the new Kindles are announced, so I might wait.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness