Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
My current plan

I'm going to wait until the news shakes out of CES about release dates, prices, etc. on some of the new readers in the works (particularly Plastic Logic and the Skiff reader). If those don't have a breathtaking features-to-price ratio compared to the Sony 900, I'll go ahead and order one of those.

I know I said at one point that I would trial the Kindle DX, but have decided that I just don't think the screen size is worth the ugly (IMO, of course) and lack of touchscreen. I saw a great quote in a book on, of all things, raising goats. To paraphrase: "The appearance of a goat obviously has nothing to do with milking qualities or hardiness. But if you are going to be looking at something every day for a number of years, you may as well enjoy the view if it otherwise meets your needs."

Last edited by ziegl027; 01-05-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: a colon and the letter "p" does interesting things here.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Sounds like a good plan. I had the same one a couple of months ago and gave myself a cutoff of the end of the year. If I hadn't I'd be waiting for the end of CES, then I'd wait until the Apple tablet announcement rumored for the end of the month, then I'd wait for the spring releases, then I'd have to hold off until ..... ahhhhhhhh

Anyway, I ended up ordering the 900 after people finally got a hold of them and started putting out some reviews, and the $40 off at Best Buy helped too.

I like the goat quote too! A colon and a "p" ... let's see...
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
tapar
Connoisseur
tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.tapar is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3g, Kindle Paperwhite v1
That is one thing I really dislike about technology. It is really hard to commit to buying anything when 'really soon' there is likely to be something new and better. I love my kindle 1 but after playing with a few kindle 2's I would love to upgrade. The question is what to get and how long to wait for 'next gen' stuff to come out before I take the leap.

I definitely feel obligated to wait and see what is coming next and with CES, I just really hope the cool new tech I end up drooling over won't take forever to go to market so I can actually buy it. It can be frustrating to know there is a device out there that you think might be perfect but then you have to wait for them to finish developing it and see how close they come to living up to it's potential. It is even worse when you hold off buying anything for months and months and then the product you were waiting for is subpar and not implemented well.

I have the same problem with computers, I want to upgrade but I keep hearing that "any day now" intel is going to announce new stuff and drop the prices on the current stuff. It seems like the only way to ever get anything is to jump in and just do it.
tapar is offline   Reply With Quote