Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
Current version

Would it be an idea to have a sticky locked thread, the title being Current Calibre version X.X.XX. The post could just contain a link to the D/l site.

Whenever a new update is released the thread title could be updated by a mod so everyone can see the current version.

The reason I suggest it being here is I, like a lot of users, trawl through MR forums most days so would soon find an upgrade is available, I rarely visit the project or wiki pages. I know the program checks for upgrades on startup but I tend to leave it running 24/7 so I do not get the advisories.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A better solution would be to get the main Calibre program to check periodically (probably daily) rather than just at startup if it IS left running 24/7. That would avoid the need to visit the forum to find out.

Calibre already has a scheduler running to handle periodic fetches of news, so adding the version check as another task type to the scheduler should not be that hard.

Last edited by itimpi; 11-17-2009 at 04:19 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I could certainly implement a periodic check, however there is an RSS feed with calibre updates available on the website, it would probably be easiest to use that.

In any case, please open a ticket for the periodic check and I'll implement it for the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Ticket created (#4040).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I could certainly implement a periodic check, however there is an RSS feed with calibre updates available on the website, it would probably be easiest to use that.

In any case, please open a ticket for the periodic check and I'll implement it for the next release.
This is the option I use in Firefox: Sitedelta

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4337

Just point it at the webpages you want to monitor and it checks every day/hour/week or whatever. For Calibre I set it to watch: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/Changelog
every 4 hours.

It also watches the changelog pages of most of my software. Recommended.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert