Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
pfwy
pfwy began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Best Calibre settings for converting ePub to KF8/AZW3

Hi, I'm new to this game and trying to figure out the best conversion settings - how much do the "Page Setup" settings affect conversion from ePub to AZW3/Mobi? I have Kindle PW2, however Amazon state that the screen size is 768x1024 pixels however the Kindle PW1&2 settings in Calibre say 658x940 pixels - help!

Also is it better to convert to Mobi or AZW3 when including a new "dyslexic" font?
pfwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
MOBI does not support embedded custom fonts at all.
AZW3 is always the better format, as long as your device supports it. Which is all of them except the K1/K2/DX(G) and non-updated K3.

Page setup only affects the maximum resolution for images -- calibre will downsize images to save space when converting. AFAIK calibre's settings are fine.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 01:42 AM   #3
pfwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
MOBI does not support embedded custom fonts at all.
AZW3 is always the better format, as long as your device supports it. Which is all of them except the K1/K2/DX(G) and non-updated K3.

Page setup only affects the maximum resolution for images -- calibre will downsize images to save space when converting. AFAIK calibre's settings are fine.
Thank you! As "Part 2" of the question (which is a follow on) in terms of font scaling, it's quite confusing, Calibre says it should be 16pt however it appears small on screen and if I go up one size it is far too big - any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfwy View Post
Thank you! As "Part 2" of the question (which is a follow on) in terms of font scaling, it's quite confusing, Calibre says it should be 16pt however it appears small on screen and if I go up one size it is far too big - any suggestions?
If you're using AZW3 as the output format, you should disable font size rescaling altogether and resize the fonts via the PW2 font menu.

BTW, one of the latest PW2 firmware updates added OpenDyslexic to the font menu. I.e. you'll no longer have to embed a dyslecic font, unless you prefer a different font.
If your PW2 still has the old 5.6.5 firmware (or an even older firmware), you might want to install the 5.6.5 jailbreak before installing the latest firmware since later firmware versions can't be (easily) jailbroken.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:58 AM   #5
pfwy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If you're using AZW3 as the output format, you should disable font size rescaling altogether and resize the fonts via the PW2 font menu.

BTW, one of the latest PW2 firmware updates added OpenDyslexic to the font menu. I.e. you'll no longer have to embed a dyslecic font, unless you prefer a different font.
If your PW2 still has the old 5.6.5 firmware (or an even older firmware), you might want to install the 5.6.5 jailbreak before installing the latest firmware since later firmware versions can't be (easily) jailbroken.
Hello Doitsu,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I have 5.7.4 installed on the PW2. What does jailbreaking do? As for the new dyslexia font - it is horrible very hard ofr me to read. I will try the no scaling and see how I go.
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I have 5.7.4 installed on the PW2.
In that case you're out of luck, because the jailbreak only works with the 5.6.5 firmware.

Quote:
What does jailbreaking do?
Among other things, it'll allow you to install a font hack that you can use to override any of the default Kindle fonts.

BTW, you easily embed fonts in AZW3 books with Calibre.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The topic makes it sound like converting ePub to some format specific to the PW2. It should be changed.

Maybe something like...Best Calibre settings for converting ePub to KF8
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
pfwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The topic makes it sound like converting ePub to some format specific to the PW2. It should be changed.

Maybe something like...Best Calibre settings for converting ePub to KF8

Hello, I don't know how to change the heading on a post: I'm still a novice.

Is there a way to force ebook conversion in calibre to change all font sizes to 1em? It seems that Calibre is fond of em sizes.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Is there a way to force ebook conversion in calibre to change all font sizes to 1em? It seems that Calibre is fond of em sizes.
EM is a base relative size that scales

If you don't want Calibre to resize, remove the tick in Preferences: Common Options

Remember Books that Have been converted remember the settings used. Make the same change on the conversion (starting) screen or use the control to forget the previously used settings
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Click the Report Post icon to the right of your post (the first in the thread):

Then submit a moderator request to have the title changed to "___whatever___".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
pfwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
EM is a base relative size that scales

If you don't want Calibre to resize, remove the tick in Preferences: Common Options

Remember Books that Have been converted remember the settings used. Make the same change on the conversion (starting) screen or use the control to forget the previously used settings
Hello TheDucks, actually I want to remove all scaling so that the PW2 font size smaller/larger buttons work properly. When "turning off scales" in Calibre and putting the dyslexic font on as replacement sometimes it converts text too small / big. So I thought if there is a way to normalise to 1em then i can just use the PW2's internal scaling using the buttons for larger/smaller. That way it doesn't matter the book I am reading, i know i can read properly. Is it possible to do that?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hello TheDucks, actually I want to remove all scaling so that the PW2 font size smaller/larger buttons work properly. When "turning off scales" in Calibre and putting the dyslexic font on as replacement sometimes it converts text too small / big. So I thought if there is a way to normalise to 1em then i can just use the PW2's internal scaling using the buttons for larger/smaller. That way it doesn't matter the book I am reading, i know i can read properly. Is it possible to do that?
Automatically, I don't think so.

The publisher used absolute font sizing pt, px. You can resize (scale) during a convert, but not change (nor do you in every case, just most).

Return the book with a complaint. That will get their attention

If you don't want to rattle cages , you could use the editor to edit the CSS

I have a set of saved searches that replace named font sizes with MY values without touching other things a conversion does
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Do you really want all font sizes to be 1em? That would mean that even chapter titles and if the title page is done in text (not just a graphic) would also be 1em.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:44 AM   #14
pfwy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you really want all font sizes to be 1em? That would mean that even chapter titles and if the title page is done in text (not just a graphic) would also be 1em.
Most ebooks don't have the easiest style sheet in the world to use. Often with 5+ styles. If I knew of a way to identify easily what one is for what that is one thing, but it appears that Calibre renames these upon conversion... It's really the base font that I want to be standardised so that all of my books have the same settings, but even using font key and base font it appears to differ book to book even when using the same dyslexic font.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Most ebooks don't have the easiest style sheet in the world to use. Often with 5+ styles. If I knew of a way to identify easily what one is for what that is one thing, but it appears that Calibre renames these upon conversion... It's really the base font that I want to be standardised so that all of my books have the same settings, but even using font key and base font it appears to differ book to book even when using the same dyslexic font.
The best way to handle this is once the conversion to KF8 is done, use the eBook editor to go in and fix the CSs to remove any font size commands in the CSS that apply to the base font size and you'll be good to go.

Tags
azw3 conversion, epub, font, pixel, pw2