Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
vivk4halo
Skipper
vivk4halo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Battery Drain in Unregistered Nook Simple Touch

Hello Everyone,

I bought a blacklisted Nook Simple Touch for a really cheap price from my friend. Since its blacklisted, I cannot register it through B&N.com. I am not planning to purchase ebooks through B&N.com anyways, so I don't really care about not registering the NST. I bought the device to just read ebooks which I will load from my computer through the USB Cable or through the SD Card.

I skipped the registration process through the "Skip Oobe" Method and it works pretty fine.

The only problem I am facing with this unregistered device is the battery drain. The battery lasts for only 10-15 days after fully charging it while the registered Nook gives a battery life of 40-45 days. My WiFi is always turned off.

I found a similar thread in a forum already:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1475070
But I did not find a satisfactory answer to my question there.

So,

1. What is the problem in the unregistered device that makes the battery drain quicker? Please suggest me some solution for the same.

2. Will rooting solve the problem? Can I root NST without registering the device? I don't mind rooting as long as it solves the problem.

Please help me.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I _think_ what happens when the device is unregistered the OS keeps looking for owner info on the device, and since it can't find it it doesn't "sleep" properly. Therefor it draws more battery. Or something like that...

Rooting in itself probaby won't solve the problem. If there is a way to put another OS on it (I don't know if it is) that would probaböy solve it. I supect that as long as the BN OS is running things it will keep looking for that registration info.
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Battery drain is caused by the CPU not sleeping, and in turn this is caused by some app holding onto a wakelock.

It might be possible to just remove the app that is holding onto the wakelock, though there is a chance that doing so will render the nook unusable (could start crashing and require a factory reset). You need to find out first what app or apps are holding onto that wakelock, and to do so you need to install an app like Better Battery Stats , which requires root so you can install the app.

Once you know what app(s) are draining your device, you can remove them (which again, requires you to be rooted). Instead of just removing them, make a copy so you can put them back if the nook stops working. All this is untested, so you'll be pretty much on your own.

Edit: another possibility, once you figure out the apps causing the drain, is to disable those apps, rather than removing them.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-28-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Googled and came across one of many topics of this.
Rooted I suppose you can do this, and it might help.

[Assistance deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
[QUOTE=afv011;2578890]
Once you know what app(s) are draining your device, you can remove them (which again, requires you to be rooted). Instead of just removing them, make a copy so you can put them back if the nook stops working. All this is untested, so you'll be pretty much on your own.

[HELP DELETED - moderator]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Thumbs down I'm flabbergasted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivk4halo View Post
Hello Everyone,

I bought a blacklisted Nook Simple Touch for a really cheap price from my friend.
So you are openly admitting to buying stolen property! ... and then you are asking for help....

You amaze me!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Aren't they also blacklisted if they are reported as lost?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Thumbs down He knew he was buying stolen goods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Aren't they also blacklisted if they are reported as lost?
Yes, he knew he was buying stolen goods. The person selling it to him stole it instead of returning it.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

MobileRead does not permit its site to be used to provide assistance with using stolen goods.

This thread is now closed.
Closed Thread