Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
yowzah
yowzah began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T3, Sony eReader
Reader not showing up in Connect

Just got the ereader today at lunch. Love the display; love the size.

However, I'm having trouble loading my own content. The ereader does not seem to be recognized by the Connect software. The manual says to unplug the USB and wait a while if that happens. This didn't help.

One other, possibly related, issue is that I cannot connect to the Sony Connect store. ("Unable to connect to ebook store. Check your network settings...") Since I'm at work, I'm going through a proxy, but I do not see anywhere in the Connect software's settings where I can set up a proxy for internet connection.

Any ideas how I can get the software to recognize my eReader? (I will most certainly try again when I get home with a non-proxy connection.)
yowzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
yowzah

P.S. I'm running on XP Pro SP1 (Is it possible that SP2 is required? It does not say so in the manual.)
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
First check if it appears in the device manager as an USB device. If not, then either you don't have proper drivers installed or something is wrong with the USB connection.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
yowzah

Home now and all is fine on this computer. So, it's not the eReader's problem.

On the work computer, I have used other USB devices via that connection. But I do suspect you're right that it will not show up as a USB device, just based on the other symptoms. Will check when I get there. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
yowzah

All is well today on the work computer regarding the ability of Connect to recognize the reader. When in doubt, reboot, I guess.
Advert
Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
alreds
alreds began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505LC, iPad2, iPhone5, Kindle KB, Kindle PW, Kindle Fire
I finally took the plunge and got the PRS505 and I'm very happy with it, however my only problem so far is with the eBook Library. My computers do recognize the reader when I plug in the USB cable and the reader icon appears on the left hand panel as well, however when I proceed to try to authorize the reader to open my account with the eBook Library, then the blue icon with the spinning arrows appears and after spinning for several minutes I get the message (error code 3-007) "failed to authorize this PC to the eBook Library please contact Customer service".

I have contacted them several times, and although they have been very polite I'm still not authorized my reader to the eBook store. I was wondering if someone has had the same problem and was able to resolve it. Thank you in advance for your responses.
alreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
when i first got my 500 and installed the software the reader never showed up when i plugged it in nor would it charge. it turned out that the drivers did not get installed properly. i fixed it by simply uninstalling the software and reinstalling it. the 505 is a little different so i dont know if this will help your or not but its worth a try
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So when did Sony start supporting eReader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have changed the thread title from "eReader" to "Reader" to avoid others being as confused as Jon. I had to read through the post to see that you intended to talk about the Reader rather than the eReader software (formerly Palm Reader.)

There are several old threads that explore what the stylized "A" in front of the word Reader really is on the Sony.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
So, why would the Reader show up once, then about ten minutes later, not do so?

I had an issue earlier today when I was running a hotsync operation with my Treo, but then CONNECT recognised the Reader.Ten minutes later, after a number of reboots of both laptop & reader, I have no luck.

Any ideas?

Another dumb query? Why does the damnable "Windows hardware manager" dialog box keep popping up every other time I connect my reader?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
So, why would the Reader show up once, then about ten minutes later, not do so?

I had an issue earlier today when I was running a hotsync operation with my Treo, but then CONNECT recognised the Reader.Ten minutes later, after a number of reboots of both laptop & reader, I have no luck.

Any ideas?

Another dumb query? Why does the damnable "Windows hardware manager" dialog box keep popping up every other time I connect my reader?
Did you plug into a different USB port? Let the manager install the driver and you should be good to go.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote