Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #226
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
@ hellmark, check it again yourself please... sil_lis removed my question in the quote, then said "i dont see a question in your last two posts" obviously trolling assuming he was trying to make a joke of my frustration for being ignored. Not discussing this further with you or anyone else, sorry not worth my time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
It will be fun to watch if there is enough interest in the Android rooting community, a couple of years after the first nook. If the Reader is successfully rooted, I expect Sony to end up selling a lot of hardware and very little content. The people will buy Sony Readers for the sake of rooting them and installing better reading apps, such as FBReaderJ, CoolReader, Nomad Reader, etc.
Agreed, I recently discovered there is a small community of people who have been working on the Nook Simple Touch reader. The biggest limitation of the device is the lack of hardware buttons, and you can have to install an application that overlays the android hardware keys on the screen, not a very good experience. It does work and they got numerous applications, outside of other reading apps (which is biggest value added in my opinion).

Compare that with the potential for rooting the new Sony Reader with the hardware buttons. It will be the best e-Ink device to run Android applications.

Furthermore, imagine the possibility for some sort of official "Market" for Android based applications optimized for an e-Ink display -- there already is an ever growing Android developer community out there after all.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #227
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
@log: I don't usually jump into these things, but this really bugs me. These are the 2 previous posts I believe Sil_lis was referring to. There is no question there that I or anyone else can see. Where is the question that was ignored?

Quote:
Great work, thanks for posting here Tim.

Some new/noteworthy things I discovered scanning through manual:
Page 13 "Turn on USB storage" screen which is basically every on Android device I've seen that lets you access the SD card.
Page 48 - 1000mA rechargeable battery
Quote:
It was posted in July, this is part of the FCC approval process.

This is not the "official" manual that will be shipping with the product, but it does give us some hints of what's coming.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #228
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
@ hellmark, check it again yourself please... sil_lis removed my question in the quote, then said "i dont see a question in your last two posts" obviously trolling assuming he was trying to make a joke of my frustration for being ignored. Not discussing this further with you or anyone else, sorry not worth my time.

uh, no, you are acting like a needy adolescent....maybe you are.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #229
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
You had not asked that question prior to when you became upset. Please review your posts. You may have started to ask, but nothing actually was posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
@log: I don't usually jump into these things, but this really bugs me. These are the 2 previous posts I believe Sil_lis was referring to. There is no question there that I or anyone else can see. Where is the question that was ignored?
Yes, those were the questions that I was referring to.

Quote:
As I explained in post 220, the reason why I only posted the first part was because I didn't think that you were referring to what you were about to say.

Also, for the future: you waited just one hour and 15 minutes before deciding that people were ignoring you; you can expect even a day for a reply to an actual question because the people on the forum don't live in the same time zone.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #230
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Log, You posted twice before complaining. Here is every post of yours in this thread?

Post #1740695 (note the 10:40 edit timestamp, did you accidentally remove it?
Quote:
Great work, thanks for posting here Tim.

Some new/noteworthy things I discovered scanning through manual:
Page 13 "Turn on USB storage" screen which is basically every on Android device I've seen that lets you access the SD card.
Page 48 - 1000mA rechargeable battery
Last edited by log; Today at 10:40 AM.
Quote:
It was posted in July, this is part of the FCC approval process.

This is not the "official" manual that will be shipping with the product, but it does give us some hints of what's coming.
And complaining on #1740784. And First time you mention the question.
Quote:
Wow, just because I'm a new member I'm getting ignored? Not enough "karma"?

Can some here please confirm or deny that any previous version of the Sony Reader actually has the screen shown on page 13 ... "Turn on USB storage" screen??

Quote:
Very funny. How about you stop editing peoples post when you quote them next time?
Quote:
Thanks porkupan.

This, as well other evidence such as the hardware buttons, menu/popup UI in videos, and a confirmation by one the largest gadget news website on the internet -- we have seen more than enough to convince me that the new Sony Reader is indeed running on the Android OS.

If it doesn't convince others, you will have to wait until more official announcements will come from Sony, don't trust the mobileread newbie who found a needle in a haystack.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #231
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well then you need to describe exactly how to see that screen because as I said I've never seen it or anything like it (logo or not) and I've using and programming Android for over a year now on a variety of devices.

Not saying it doesn't exist, I'd love for you to detail how I see it though. (maybe it is only while charging?)
I have an HTC Magic "MyTouch3g", and a Eken M002. The Mytouch has Cyanogenmod 6.1.0, but I've had all the other available versions on it before, as well as OpenEclair. The Eken, I have the SlateDroid Mercury beta, and have previously had the factory roms on as well. On either one, I plug it in to a USB cable, and in the status bar I will get an open for debug mode or USB storage, because I have dev mode enabled. When I don't, it just gives me the option for USB storage. I select it, and it gives me that basic screen, to mount or not.

On a friend's G2, he just plugs in and it gets that screen automatically
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #232
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have an HTC Magic "MyTouch3g", and a Eken M002. The Mytouch has Cyanogenmod 6.1.0, but I've had all the other available versions on it before, as well as OpenEclair. The Eken, I have the SlateDroid Mercury beta, and have previously had the factory roms on as well. On either one, I plug it in to a USB cable, and in the status bar I will get an open for debug mode or USB storage, because I have dev mode enabled. When I don't, it just gives me the option for USB storage. I select it, and it gives me that basic screen, to mount or not.

On a friend's G2, he just plugs in and it gets that screen automatically
I've never seen it. I actually went googling for it and found some info on android 2.2 upgrade and people complaining about it. I've never seen it on my DroidX or Xoom (or in any of the emulators -- but that may not be relevant).

Yeah I get the USB connected whether I have debug on or off but never that screen or any variant of it.

I just tried it with DroidX. No such screen either way. Now if I pull down the USB connected Status I do get a screen that controls the USB connection with four choices: PC Mode Windows Media Sync USB Mass Storage or Charge Only. I suppose this is the equivalent screen but it does not pop up automatically.

On the Xoom there is not even a notification (perhaps because charging is not through USB)

And it is no where close to the image posted above. Fact is with any linux based o/s you would need this sort of thing when you connect via usb. It's more of a Linux thing than an android thing.

Last edited by kennyc; 09-14-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #233
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are the advantages of Android over Linux for e-ink, other than possible rooting to get to the market?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #234
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
I've never seen it. I actually went googling for it and found some info on android 2.2 upgrade and people complaining about it. I've never seen it on my DroidX or Xoom (or in any of the emulators -- but that may not be relevant).

Yeah I get the USB connected whether I have debug on or off but never that screen or any variant of it.

I just tried it with DroidX. No such screen either way. Now if I pull down the USB connected Status I do get a screen that controls the USB connection with four choices: PC Mode Windows Media Sync USB Mass Storage or Charge Only. I suppose this is the equivalent screen but it does not pop up automatically.

On the Xoom there is not even a notification (perhaps because charging is not through USB)

And it is no where close to the image posted above. Fact is with any linux based o/s you would need this sort of thing when you connect via usb. It's more of a Linux thing than an android thing.
On the Droid X, it is basically the same as the USB Mass Storage option. Motorola (which both the Xoom and Droid X are made by) do things differently with their own custom user interfaces. Stock android has it more akin to the screen showed in the manual here for the T1
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #235
kennyc

Quote:
On the Droid X, it is basically the same as the USB Mass Storage option. Motorola (which both the Xoom and Droid X are made by) do things differently with their own custom user interfaces. Stock android has it more akin to the screen showed in the manual here for the T1
Thus my point. It's not the same on every android device as was claimed and thus that screen says NOTHING about whether this device is android based or not.

In addition as I said earlier ANY linux device (which the Sony's have always been) will require some type of management for USB and SD-Card storage.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #236
Hellmark
Wizard

Quote:
Thus my point. It's not the same on every android device as was claimed and thus that screen says NOTHING about whether this device is android based or not.

In addition as I said earlier ANY linux device (which the Sony's have always been) will require some type of management for USB and SD-Card storage.
Its not the same on every Android device, but it is something unique to Android. I'm a hardcore linux user, and I've been using a lot of embedded linux devices over the years, and Android devices are the only one I've ever seen that give you an option to enable or disable mass storage when connecting to the computer via USB. Most linux based devices automatically switch to be used as a USB storage device when it connects to a USB host.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #237
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
What are the advantages of Android over Linux for e-ink, other than possible rooting to get to the market?
For using it as a standard reading device? None whatsoever. There are people around, though, who seem to feel the urge to convert any device which runs Android into a general-purpose tablet. If that's what floats their boat, fair enough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #238
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For using it as a standard reading device? None whatsoever. There are people around, though, who seem to feel the urge to convert any device which runs Android into a general-purpose tablet. If that's what floats their boat, fair enough.
And from the point of view of the manufacturer? Is it easier to make software for Android than for Linux?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #239
kennyc

No but if you want to deploy the software (i.e. bookreader) to other devices, it is likely more efficient and economical to write to android than linux.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #240
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
No but if you want to deploy the software (i.e. bookreader) to other devices, it is likely more efficient and economical to write to android than linux.
In terms of Android being used on a wider range of portable devices than Linux, I agree. In terms of the difficulty of porting applications from one Linux device to another, I don't think there's really anything in it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote