Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
Axcbjlg
Axcbjlg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3 with 3G Firmware versiom 3.4.1
Question apt-get on kindle?

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to get apt-get or similar on a Kindle. Contrary to what I read on this blog, I cannot use apt-get. I would love to get a text editor like Nano to use from the shell, and some other useful packages.

I have a Kindle 3G, firmware version 3.4.1.

Thanks for the help!
Axcbjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can do this, but it would require chrooting into an image of an actual distro.

From the blog you referenced:
Quote:
[...] inside a chrooted Debian ARM installation I put on the device. Having Debian on the device isn't really necessary for hacking the Kindle but it does make it easier to install ARM binaries of just about any of the 25,000 packages in Debian. Yep, apt-get works on my Kindle!
Further reference: Debian_Installation_on_Kindle_Touch

IOW, no the Kindle does not have apt-get preinstalled, since it isn't actually a debian OS...

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-08-2015 at 08:46 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I sometimes use vim from here:
http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-terminal/
and sometimes midnight commander (search on this forum). I just never liked nano for some reason.

Also, I've been able to chroot into Debian to get what I want but it is easier to just build a KUAL package with the files/libraries that are dependent on them. Look into some of the KUAL extensions that were made - most started with Debian or source from Debian.

Search and read, my friend, and you will find gold here! Good luck!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axcbjlg View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to get apt-get or similar on a Kindle. Contrary to what I read on this blog, I cannot use apt-get. I would love to get a text editor like Nano to use from the shell, and some other useful packages.

I have a Kindle 3G, firmware version 3.4.1.

Thanks for the help!
Now if you had one of the K5 series (K5, PW1) -
then you could find my build of Nano right on this forum.

What other things do you include in your list of "other useful packages".

PS: You can probably install (manually) the Nano build from an old enough version of Debian -
Also something you can find directions for, on in this forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Axcbjlg

Okay, thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:47 PM   #6
Axcbjlg

I have an idea on how to get nano and stuff on my Kindle. Tell me if it would work.

I have a computer running Debian. I plug the Kindle into that computer and put the source file for nano or other packages on it. I then run the config script and make install from the Debian computer, not the actuall Kindle shell.

The only problem is that it might take a while, as the computer is very slow.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
In other words, you want to ssh from your PC to your Kindle and compile from the PC's keyboard? Sure, but your Kindle still has to run the compiler...

It should be possible to use a cross-compiler to build everything on the PC and then copy it to the Kindle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axcbjlg View Post
I have an idea on how to get nano and stuff on my Kindle. Tell me if it would work.

I have a computer running Debian. I plug the Kindle into that computer and put the source file for nano or other packages on it. I then run the config script and make install from the Debian computer, not the actuall Kindle shell.

The only problem is that it might take a while, as the computer is very slow.

Thanks again for the help.
Just use Buildroot(.org) - Nano is one of the applications that it can build.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Axcbjlg

Great, thanks. I'll check it out.

Tags
apt-get, question