Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
dodai
dodai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reader for Japanese (epub3 ?)

I'm in need of an ebook reader which can display Japanese along with furigana/ruby. From what I've found out it's always possible and autonomous from the ebook reader to just create a pdf which has furigana as well as vertical formating.
But I'd like to be independent of pdf. However if I'm right epub 2 doesn't support furigana or writing from top-to-bottom. So only epub 3 would be possible. This entails the question if any of the ebook readers is able to read epub 3 or will be in the future.

Aside from the ability of displaying Japanese I found Sony PRS-T1, Pocketbook Touch 622 and the Kobo to be quite nice. The first two ones have Linux and I'd assume that it's possible to root them somehow and maybe add the support by oneself. Though I don't know if anyone has done this before and for which device the community is the biggest. And can I expect Rakuten to add this feature to the Kobo?

Another nice thing to have would be Japanese dictionaries. Any devices have one of those? And what about additional applications like Anki(droid)?
dodai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Even with ePub 3, I doubt it will work. At this time, not even web browsers can do it. There are plugins, but they usually suck. You're stuck with PDF. Find a software that generates PDF with vertical writing for you. They exist, one example is ChainLP using input files provided by Aozora Bunko http://www.aozora.gr.jp/
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
dodai

Ok, I should probably settle for PDF then. But do the dictionaries work with it?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
http://www.sony.jp/reader/products/P...feature_2.html

It appears that the Japanese edition of the Sony PRS-T1 reader does have a Japanese dictionary, and the ability to display text vertically. IIRC, even before epub3, the XMDF format allowed the Sony Reader to do this. (I don't think the US version has this ability though)

See this page for a sample of epub 3 using the Sony Reader.
http://ebooklabo.fc2-rentalserver.com/wp/?p=460 (this blog also has some info on the Kobo reader and Japanese)
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
dodai

Seems to me like the PRS-T1 is the best choice especially considering that it's easily possible to root and add some more Japanese support. Thank you for this nice blog article link.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Just a warning, I think you need to import the more expensive Japanese edition. I am not sure if it is possible to use the American edition. It may not be possible to use Japanese firmware updates with an American edition PRS-T1.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Hi

I am a Japanese. I hardly use Japanese dictionaries in my daily life but I did some test out of curiosity for this thread.

1. All of my Boox 60, Kindle Keyboard and PRS-650 (non-Japanese version) can display vertical Japanese sentences with furigana/ruby in pdf format nicely. I have created lots of classic Japanese books using the Aozora-Kindle converter web site mentioned in this thread. PRS-650 can not show Japanese and Chinese characters used in book titles and author names properly while other two can.
2. Boox 60 built in dictionary software with Japanese-English StarDict works much better than Stardict German-English dictionary. But the dictionary window stays open, hide one third of screen and thus makes itself useless with Japanese vertical sentences.
3. I have tested these classic Japanese books on my Androd tablet and found Mantano pdf reader with ColorDict software + StarDict Japanese dictionaries offer quite comfortable environment for reading Japanese pdf files. The ezPDF reader which is my favorite reader for German magazine failed to let me select Kanji words in vertical sentences.
4. Rooted PRS-T1 has a possibility of running Mantano pdf reader with ColorDict.

"Modify default installation target
Some apps like "Mantano Reader" could not be installed because the installation target points to: "preferExternal".
There are several choices to deal with that:"
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...llation_target

If Mantano pdf reader on PRS-T1 runs like on my Androd tablet, you need not to buy the Japanese version of PRS-T1 for reading Japanese books with furigana/ruby using Japanese dictionaries.

I hope someone with a rooted PRS-T1 can verify this possibility.

takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
dodai

So, I've just received a PRS-T1 for testing and will try it out these days. Thank you for your tips regarding the Mantano Reader.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
takikura
Connoisseur
takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.takikura has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle sony reader boox 60
Hi dodai,

Looking forward to hearing about your trial. If you have a difficulty of finding Japanese English dictionaries, please google huzheng and stardict and then you should find several of them.

Good luck
takikura
takikura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
nukito
Enthusiast
nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nukito ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: non yet
does the prs-t1 work with japanese dictionaries as takikura said?

Last edited by nukito; 06-14-2012 at 09:06 AM.
nukito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub3, japanese, kobo, pocketbook, prs-t1