Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
ElLoco
ElLoco began at the beginning.

Device: booq
[Old Thread] Join books with same tags into one folder.

The question is that. I have several books in different formats, to try them, and when I import to Calibre (where I have the preferences to put in a single folder those of the same author and title), each one is of the author but changed name, or separate title, or join with the author name. I change metadata for each one with the same data and they are uniform. But how Can I do to join the files in a single folder? If I copy a single folder directly and start Calibre, does not find the new files. Any ideas?
ElLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want to merge entries, then highlight them and press 'm' to merge into the first selected entry.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLoco View Post
The question is that. I have several books in different formats, to try them, and when I import to Calibre (where I have the preferences to put in a single folder those of the same author and title), each one is of the author but changed name, or separate title, or join with the author name. I change metadata for each one with the same data and they are uniform. But how Can I do to join the files in a single folder? If I copy a single folder directly and start Calibre, does not find the new files. Any ideas?
Sounds like you're mucking about in Calibres library path? That way lies much hairpulling and, eventually, much madness. Little to none hilarity will ensue. Really. Just don't.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Don't touch calibre's private files (read my .sig for details).

If you want to put your ebooks, of any/whatever format, into a single folder, use "Save as..." (which should be called "export") to do that. Then you can put them wherever you want, and do whatever you want with them. But calibre's internal files are its own, and should not be messed with. Just pretend they're a black box.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
@ElLoco - itimpi gave you the best direct method.

Here is a little more detail and an image as a guide. In the GUI find the book in your library with the best metadata, highlight that book then highlight any books you wish to merge into one folder/book. Once they are all selected right click and drill down according to the attached image. This will combine all formats in one book/folder (the first selected) and delete the remaining folders. The plus here is you only have to perfect the metadata on one format then combine the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merge_books.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	58603  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-21-2010 at 09:18 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
ElLoco
ElLoco began at the beginning.

Device: booq
Thanks a lot for the all the answers. I discover by myself how to do that. But I have not posted an answer, till now, because matters of time. Anyway if someone don't know how to to do that, here are your post. ;-)
ElLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
burnshroom
burnshroom began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 70 / Android / Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElLoco View Post
Thanks a lot for the all the answers. I discover by myself how to do that. But I have not posted an answer, till now, because matters of time. Anyway if someone don't know how to to do that, here are your post. ;-)
Thanks for this thread. I did not know about pushing "m" to merge the duplicates in my library, this has helped a lot!!!
burnshroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
And I didn't know the bit about only having to tidy the metadata on the first book. So I'd also like to thank both ElLoco and dwanthny for this thread.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrynkiw View Post
And I didn't know the bit about only having to tidy the metadata on the first book. So I'd also like to thank both ElLoco and dwanthny for this thread.
For most metadata fields, you don't even have to tidy the metadata in the first book, if it's tidy in the second book. Just delete it from the first book and the metadata in the second book will be used for that field. (This doesn't work for date fields, since you can't delete the date, but it works for comments, series, author, title, tags, publisher, etc.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote