Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Kindle 3 questions

I'm thinking about buying the new Kindle 3, however as I dont have any experience with e-readers I have some questions.

1. I'm mostly interested in reading scientific papers in .pdf downloaded from the journals' sites and libraries. I've read that there is a problem as the pdfs are not recognized as the kindle file formats and you cannot zoom without being able to increase fonts. So you then have to scroll right and left for example in order to read.
Is this fixed in the new Kindle? And if not, will a conversion to the Kindle format make me able to read it like any book, as it is implied here: http://e-bookvine.com/what-do-you-ne...t-on-kindle-3/ ?
As my main concern is papers, reading them easily would be very important for me.

2. Also this sending via e-mail thing. If I just use my wi-fi home network to send a file to the mail for conversion, will I be charged or this goes only if you use the 3G. Can I use my USB for file conversion or the e-mail procedure is needed?

3. For the 3G. I'm outside the US, is it still available for me and without any charge?

4. Can Kindle access the internet through its usb to a laptop/pc that has connection?

4. What internet access is available outside the US? Wikipedia? Some social network things like Twitter? I read some topics here, but people were not sure.

Thanks a lot
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
You expect a lot! It's an ereader. Great at reading books. For PDF's get a Kindle DX. For surfing the Internet, get a laptop or an iPad.

Use search for heaven's sake. These same questions have been asked and answered dozens of times (I am cranky today.)
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
I'm thinking about buying the new Kindle 3, however as I dont have any experience with e-readers I have some questions.

1. I'm mostly interested in reading scientific papers in .pdf downloaded from the journals' sites and libraries. I've read that there is a problem as the pdfs are not recognized as the kindle file formats and you cannot zoom without being able to increase fonts. So you then have to scroll right and left for example in order to read.
Is this fixed in the new Kindle? And if not, will a conversion to the Kindle format make me able to read it like any book, as it is implied here: http://e-bookvine.com/what-do-you-ne...t-on-kindle-3/ ?
As my main concern is papers, reading them easily would be very important for me.

2. Also this sending via e-mail thing. If I just use my wi-fi home network to send a file to the mail for conversion, will I be charged or this goes only if you use the 3G. Can I use my USB for file conversion or the e-mail procedure is needed?

3. For the 3G. I'm outside the US, is it still available for me and without any charge?

4. Can Kindle access the internet through its usb to a laptop/pc that has connection?

4. What internet access is available outside the US? Wikipedia? Some social network things like Twitter? I read some topics here, but people were not sure.

Thanks a lot
1. PDF support has been improved, but a 6" screen is not the happiest home for PDFs formatted for Letter/A4 sized paper. Kindle does not yet offer 'PDF reflow', which can sometimes help with readability on small screens (if the PDF is properly tagged) and lets you adjust text size. Kindle defaults to full-page view in portrait orientation, you can switch to landscape and view it about 40% larger in 'strips', or you can zoom to 100/200/400% with pan/zoom. None of these things is ideal; for that you need a larger screen (DX, iPad etc.).

2. when connected via wi-fi, there's no delivery charge.

3. no charge for 3g as I understand it, where available.

4. There's a hack that has worked in the past to tether via USB, but no guarantee that will be available for the new Kindle or when. Instead you should be able to share the laptop's internet connection over wifi, assuming the laptop has a connection Kindle can't access directly. I have done this sort of thing with mac, assume windows can also.

5. internet access outside US. It is restricted in some locations. Amazon has a web page somewhere that enumerates all of that - though I've seen some threads that indicate it might not be completely accurate at any given time.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-03-2010 at 07:06 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
You expect a lot! It's an ereader. Great at reading books. For PDF's get a Kindle DX. For surfing the Internet, get a laptop or an iPad.

Use search for heaven's sake. These same questions have been asked and answered dozens of times (I am cranky today.)
No I don't expect a lot. I just asked if it is good for reading pdfs.
I also asked which are its internet capabilities, I didn't say anything about my "expectations". I have a laptop and I also have a smartphone, thanks.

I searched a lot of websites and forums and I asked about the things I couldn't find. If you are cranky go outside and get a beer or something and don't bother.

@tomsem, thanks a lot for your answers. If you convert the .pdf files isn't reflow available? That's what it says in the link I gave in my former post.
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post

Cranky indeed.

I'd say GlassX posted some perfectly legitimate questions - and, as a new-ish member of the forum, could reasonably expect some answers, if only to politely be pointed to the other threads that have dealt with the same issues.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert