Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 AM   #31
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I also made a hollowed out book as a case for my Reader. Rather than cut up a book that I might want to share with anyone else, I went to the library and bought one from the used book sale for 25¢.

It took a bit of playing to get it to fit well. It is actually pretty snug. I realized that pulling it out by the notch that I cut for the power button might put too much torque on it and could possibly break the substrate in the screen. I added a piece of ribbon that lays under the Reader to allow ease of removal. I retained the first few pages so that it did still look more like a pbook. I also double-sided taped business card windows from a planner into the front cover to hold memory cards and the like. Since then, I found some self-adhesive pockets made for 3.5" diskettes on clearance at Office Depot for about $1 for a pack of 5. These also work well for card storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book01.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	16484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book02.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	16485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book03.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	16486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book04.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	16487  
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #32
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
I also made a hollowed out book as a case for my Reader. Rather than cut up a book that I might want to share with anyone else, I went to the library and bought one from the used book sale for 25¢.

It took a bit of playing to get it to fit well. It is actually pretty snug. I realized that pulling it out by the notch that I cut for the power button might put too much torque on it and could possibly break the substrate in the screen. I added a piece of ribbon that lays under the Reader to allow ease of removal. I retained the first few pages so that it did still look more like a pbook. I also double-sided taped business card windows from a planner into the front cover to hold memory cards and the like. Since then, I found some self-adhesive pockets made for 3.5" diskettes on clearance at Office Depot for about $1 for a pack of 5. These also work well for card storage.
Looks good, but doesnt the ribbon get kind of annoying, since it looks like it sticks out over the screen somewhat?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #33
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Looks good, but doesnt the ribbon get kind of annoying, since it looks like it sticks out over the screen somewhat?
I actually normally keep it slid up a bit so there isn't as much sticking out and then it doesn't sit in front of the screen.

All in all, I would much rather deal with adjusting a bit of ribbon than risk destroying the screen of My Precious.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #34
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I actually normally keep it slid up a bit so there isn't as much sticking out and then it doesn't sit in front of the screen.

All in all, I would much rather deal with adjusting a bit of ribbon than risk destroying the screen of My Precious.
Oh, the joyful tearing of velcro when I pull out my reader would probably reduce you to tears
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #35
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Oh, the joyful tearing of velcro when I pull out my reader would probably reduce you to tears
Ick, I absolutely LOATHE the sound of velcro tearing, dunno why, it just sets my teeth on edge for some reason.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
If you run the ribbon out the other side instead, it might look like a bookmark. (Off the bottom would be most traditional, but I think horizontal placement is better to minimize torque on the screen.)

I'm still thinking about trying this with a hand-bound journal. It's been suggested that I make origami out of the inner bits, or save them as note paper. I probably won't have time for this project until Winter Break at earliest, so I will continue to think about how I might do this.

Since I'd be making a case for my Iliad, I'd also have to rig something to turn the unit on and off without removing it from the case. I might try making a switch extender from polymorph plastic. I'd still have to remove the unit to recharge it, unless I make an access slot for the "travel hub" port... hm....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #37
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
So, um, pictures?
Yes yes .... I promise. I have so much do to before I fly to California tomorrow. But, I will do it .... promise.

Quote:

Nice ideas there. I think you might also run two strips of ribbon from the middle and out each end (bookmark style) ... although that might torque it a bit to.

However, if you stuck some flashing in the back (I'm just so big on flashing these days), you could paint it white to match the pages, and then a single ribbon would probably be enough to break the hold with out causing much torque.

Gah .... I hate getting all these new ideas just when I don't have TIME to try any of them.

Dammit.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #38
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Fake Book company

After dropping my reader and denting it slightly i decided to look for a more protective cover. I love antique books but could not bring myself to hollow one out. I did a search on the net and came up with this site http://www.originalbooks.net/acatalo...a_storage.html I notice they do a CD case that could be modified but I also emailed them and asked if they would make bespoke cases for the Sony 505. I will update you all when i have received an answer.

Kev
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #39
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a true life horror story - when traveling to Kazakhstan last week I had a carry-on trolley bag with me containing my clothes and a small notebook bag for the various gadgets like a notebook (duh), the DS, and of course the Sony reader in its hollow book cover. I arrived a little early at the airport so I had some coffee and then read for a bit. When next I looked up I noticed I was now a little late (got lost in the book) so I jammed the reader and the mars bar I was going to eat into the outer zippered trolley compartment, and started towards the check-in desk.

The lady behind the counter made a fuss about the size of my trolley bag and so, annoyed but resigned not to argue with idiots (the bag is well within size limits) I said "fine, check it in". I opened the bag, grabbed my notebook bag and put the trolley on the belt after closing it again. She labeled and sent off the trolley, produced my boarding pass, I went through security, and then it struck me.

I am Jack's cold nervous sweat.

The reader was still in the trolley. On the outside. With a mars bar, which seemed less important at that time and I don't know why I thought of it. There was nothing I could do. The trolley bag was undoubtedly traversing the underground maze of Schiphol, where unidentified, undoubtedly underpaid and uninterested people would throw it around, jump on it, maybe even do unspeakable things on top of it before ramming it into the airplane's storage hold, after which it would bounce around in an unheated compartment for 6.5 hours before receiving the same treatment from the local equivalent of baggage monkeys in Kazakhstan.

I took a deep breath. Then I went and bought a book at the kiosk. Gotta have something to read. It was a very uneasy flight. I consoled myself with the thought that the dummy book which I used had a thick, hard cover, I had constructed it well, and while the reader is now tethered to one side of the dummy with velcro there is quite a bit of moving space inside the dummy book - I have hollowed out the other end but didn't get around to putting in holders for memory cards yet.

I went through security, waited nervously for my baggage, and yanked open the zipper. The mars bar was crushed and twisted. With trembling fingers I grabbed the book. It looked okay. Opened it. The reader looked fine. I flicked the on switch. It turned on. I examined every inch of the screen. Flipped through a few pages. And enjoyed the rest of the week, although I didn't get to read a lot. Turns out it is really hard to read when your eyes are crossed from all the vodka you have been drinking.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #40
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I was actually palpitating here reading your story AZ.......So glad it was okay!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #41
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I was actually palpitating here reading your story AZ.......So glad it was okay!
Me too - but I'm on tenterhooks about the fate of the Mars bar. Was it consumed or discarded?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #42
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
oh my. that was painful to read. i don't know if i would survive the stress if that happened to me. i am relieved that it had a happy ending though. it's really a testament to your hollow book making skillz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Me too - but I'm on tenterhooks about the fate of the Mars bar. Was it consumed or discarded?
that's a good point, so what *did* happen to the mars bar ???
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM   #43
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover

Squashed bar is still edible bar, at least that is my policy
Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #44
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I was also a little afraid the bar might have melted...all over the Sony...even tho it was in case.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #45
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I was afraid that this was going to end with you watching a baggage handler reading your PRS-505 as the plane pulled away.

Have you had any problems with airport security? I would expect them to get very suspicious if you're carrying a book with the insides cut away.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote