Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Maui Mallards
Maui Mallards began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Any update on "About the recent PRS-500 Trade In Offer"

Hi Nate the Great,

I've been anxiously delaying the upgrade of my PRS-500 based upon your ominous previous post and its been more than a "couple of weeks". Is there any new news or are you just messing with us?

Thanks!
Maui Mallards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Mallards View Post
Hi Nate the Great,

I've been anxiously delaying the upgrade of my PRS-500 based upon your ominous previous post and its been more than a "couple of weeks". Is there any new news or are you just messing with us?

Thanks!
I'm neither Nate or Great (I'm just okay) but you can read about the trade in offer in this thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Maui Mallards

Thanks daffy4U,

Yeah, I know the cool details but there was a previous locked thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27520

That pretty much said hold off on upgrading until he provided some juicy gossip. Unfortunately, its still a secret.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't have an update. I was waiting for someone who had previously hacked the PRS-550 to investigate the possibility of porting part of the 505 update to the PRS-500. (I was hoping for epub support.) Unfortunately, neither person I asked has had a chance to try it yet.

If you remember back to when the update was announced, a lot of people said it was impossible for the PRS-500 to have the same abilities, much less use the same code. I found this annoying; the two devices have very similar hardware specs. Also, I noticed that no one who I knew had hacked the PRS-500 came forward to say it was impossible.

I posted that hint because I thought the $100 was inadequate. If I had invested $300 in a reader, I would rather wait until I knew the new features were impossible rather than shelling out more money to replace it. I did not think it would take this long to get an answer. I really thought it would take only a few weeks to find out that porting the code would be impossible. I'm sorry about the delay.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Maui Mallards

Thanks Nate!

Thanks for the info. In my case, my PRS-500's battery has almost gone completely bad. It was fine for the first year but now lasts less than a week. Sony wants some ridiculous fee to replace it so trading it up for the 505 with the new credit card costs only slightly more.

With my luck, the hackers will figure out the upgrade to the PRS-500 right after my return period expires!
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Mallards View Post
Thanks for the info. In my case, my PRS-500's battery has almost gone completely bad. It was fine for the first year but now lasts less than a week. Sony wants some ridiculous fee to replace it so trading it up for the 505 with the new credit card costs only slightly more.
Maui, if you do upgrade to the 505, I suggest you also buy Sony's warranty that covers any and all damage to or failure of the 505. I bought a 3-year warranty for $70, which I consider cheap insurance for a device that I use so much (I use it not less than 3 hours every day, and often closer to 6-7 hours). Under the warranty (I think you have to ask for the accidental damage coverage, I can't remember now), everything and anything is covered, including accidentally sitting on the Reader or your 2-year-old trying to make it float in the bath .
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #7
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Wow! Thanks for the update Nate. I guess I read way to deeply into the original post. I honestly took it to mean that you might have had knowledge of an upcoming hardware refresh. That being the case I think I will likely go ahead with the trade in offer.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, offer, trade, upgrade to prs505