Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That is also my version and I got it the day of the preview release.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
well it looks like beta is no different from the official version according to version numbers and inability to upgrade from beta 3.02 to official 3.02 (I also was not able to update to official 3.0.2 after beta 3.0.2 was installed - the update menu was greyed out)
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twister: I'll reply here as well, but, no, you don't have to do anything with the hacks, the update will apply without any issues (with my hacks, at least).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
Hard to say...browser seems faster... but I hardly ever use it, but WHOA! The NYTimes just loaded immediately!
Yes. I've had 3.0.2 for 3 days and the browser speed improvement is tremendous, both with WiFi and 3G connections. Plus, many more web sites work. I wish I could name them, but before 3.0.2 I didn't bookmark when I hit a problem (usually the too many pages message).

A remaining problem with some of the sites that interest me (slate.com, tnr.com, weeklystandard.com) is that the article font cannot be made as big as I like without running off the screen. Also, as JMikeD alludes to above, the article font can be gray rather than black. However, I just found a work-around for both the font size and gray-scale, posted by jozicka in the Links Every Kindle Owner Should Have thread:

Quote:
http://www.google.com/gwt/n

it will try to format any given page to mobile version (+ option to disable images)
This doesn't just make the home pages at tnr.com and slate.com K3-friendly. When you click on the links, the K3-friendly magic is retained.

I just tried this on one of my favorite more obscure sites, swaminomics.org (go there to get a feel for the real India). The home page is rendered nicely, but when I click on articles, I consistently get the message "Something didn't work quite right and we are unable to show the page you requested right now. Rest assured. Google engineers are already springing into action to solve the problem." I don't know if I feel totally assured, but I do appreciate the creative folks at google, even if they are going to eat dinner at the famous free cafeteria first before the promised springing. Heck, I'll even be satisfied if they go home to the spouse and kids and spring onto it tomorrow
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #20
xmun
xmun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
New Kindle with 3.0.2.

I just received a new kindle 3 wifi from amazon and it came packaged with the 3.0.2 firmware; is there any way to jailbreak or SS hack it?
I tried the normal procedure but they failed and no new folders appeared in the memory.
xmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They were tested on v3.0.2, so, unless you have a different build number than the rest of us, there shouldn't be any issue...
Old 10-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmun View Post
I just received a new kindle 3 wifi from amazon and it came packaged with the 3.0.2 firmware; is there any way to jailbreak or SS hack it?
I tried the normal procedure but they failed and no new folders appeared in the memory.

I "inadvertently" upgraded to 3.02 in the last day or so. Inadvertent because while I placed the xxx.bin file on my K3 on Tuesday, I did not run the update menu item. But clearly it, the k3 automatically, decided somewhere in the last day or so to install it.

Be that as it may, just within the last 15 minutes I installed the jailbreak and then the screensaver hacks in order to have a screensaver with my personal info displayed. Both worked with 3.02 - mine is a wifi unit by the way.

So, I'd say you can hack 3.02.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #23
xmun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I "inadvertently" upgraded to 3.02 in the last day or so. Inadvertent because while I placed the xxx.bin file on my K3 on Tuesday, I did not run the update menu item. But clearly it, the k3 automatically, decided somewhere in the last day or so to install it.

Be that as it may, just within the last 15 minutes I installed the jailbreak and then the screensaver hacks in order to have a screensaver with my personal info displayed. Both worked with 3.02 - mine is a wifi unit by the way.

So, I'd say you can hack 3.02.
Thanks, I must have done something wrong. I'll try again
Old 10-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #24
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzerga View Post

3.0.2 is official
Is it really ?
That version is still not downloadable from the official Amazon Source Code Notice page .

Last edited by AthenaAtDelphi; 10-17-2010 at 05:38 AM.
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 AM   #25
xmun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmun View Post
Thanks, I must have done something wrong. I'll try again
Still not working. Followed the forum post step by step and still no new folders appear in my Kindle.

Just to confirm, the firmware revision number is: 3.0.2 (529960105)
Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
It's probably my imagination, but the text looks a bit lighter on my K3 after the update.
For those of you who perceive that the text is lighter with 3.0.2, are you running the Font hack? Or are you seeing this with the standard K3 fonts?

I turned off my WiFi to prevent the update until I hear more about the text issue as I like mine the way it is and I'm not having any issues and don't use the browser. For me there is no incentive to update if the fonts are going to be adversely affected. BTW, I'm using the standard fonts as the hack didn't work well with my fonts so I uninstalled it. I'm hoping 3.0.2 only affects the text if the font hack is installed.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-17-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!

FYI, the fonts haven't been updated (ever, in the K3 case). The updated eink controller driver may have some effect on the perceived contrast though. (Or not.)
Old 10-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #28
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
It is in the UK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaAtDelphi View Post
Is it really ?
That version is still not downloadable from the official Amazon Source Code Notice page .
Here is the Kindle UK software page, which states 3.02 is the official latest software:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...deId=200487920
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #29
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Thanks church mouse .

Now this is weird :

The highest FW version on the Source Code Notice page is 3.0.1 .
And on the Kindle Software Update -- New Release Available page, you can only download an early preview of version 3.0.3 .

Where can I download version 3.0.2 ?
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 AM   #30
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AthenaAtDelphi View Post
Thanks church mouse .

Now this is weird :

The highest FW version on the Source Code Notice page is 3.0.1 .
And on the Kindle Software Update -- New Release Available page, you can only download an early preview of version 3.0.3 .

Where can I download version 3.0.2 ?
Yes - pretty strange. Yesterday 3.0.2 is the official firmware update, and now today it it no longer available and the 3.0.3 beta firmware is the flavor of the day!! Makes you wonder what was wrong with the 3.0.2 firmware that made it official for, seemingly, less than 24 hours!

Athena - I downloaded the 3.0.2 file yesterday and can email the file to you if you would like. Of course, by tomorrow, the 3.0.3 file will probably be the official firmware if you can wait that long.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote