Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
handwriting recognition on android

I'm hoping someone can comment on whether there are good quality handwriting recognition apps available for android tablets yet.

I'm very tempted by some of the new functionality, but if I were buying a tablet I'd want to be able to use it as an ultraportable computing device rather than just a reader and I have a severe repetitive strain injury that makes typing at any length, including on an on-screen keyboard, not very feasible. I have voice recognition software on both my home and work computers, but that obviously wouldn't be very practical for sending e-mails or drafting reports on the move.

I did get to experiment with the Windows for tablet PC handwriting recognition system a couple of years ago and I thought it was fantastic, but the hardware/software never seemed to take off; the fact that the android tablets are so lightweight is what attracts me to them.

To be quite clear, I'm explicitly looking for something that can handle any reasonably neat handwriting, either straight out of the box or by learning a particular user's style, rather than something like graffiti where the user has to learn an entirely new set of keystrokes.

Thanks
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
HW on Android is no where near as good as Windows. The only tablet that I know of that does handwriting recognition is the Lenovo ThinkPad K1. The HTC Flyer does have a stylus, but no HW recognition was ever mentioned.

However keyboard entry is not the only way to enter hand written notes. Andriod has some excellent keyboard alternatives that do not require key punching.

Swype: Slide your fingers over the word and the word magically appears on the text, even if you spelled it wrong. I'm way faster with Swype than typing on a keyboard, and I'm pretty fast with a keyboard. It also has voice to text

FlexT9: Has the swype feature and handwritting OCR recognition and voice to text.

8pen: Has a revolutionary way to enter the text, just watch the video http://www.8pen.com/

There are more, but you get the gist.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
DioPen works well
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
8pen: Has a revolutionary way to enter the text, just watch the video http://www.8pen.com/
I tend use the soft keyboard for one or two word entries and my world-class hardware keyboard for everything else. I'm kind of set in my ways. But 8pen looked so interesting I had to try it. I downloaded the 8pen wordcup, a game designed to demo the entry method, tutorial style. It is pretty cool, but I think you'd have to really want to use it to learn it. It's like a chorded keyboard. Sure, you could learn to use it faster than a full board, but do you really want to?

Swype seems like a more realistic speed boost.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I tend use the soft keyboard for one or two word entries and my world-class hardware keyboard for everything else. I'm kind of set in my ways. But 8pen looked so interesting I had to try it. I downloaded the 8pen wordcup, a game designed to demo the entry method, tutorial style. It is pretty cool, but I think you'd have to really want to use it to learn it. It's like a chorded keyboard. Sure, you could learn to use it faster than a full board, but do you really want to?
I used it for about a month. It took me two weeks to get proficient in it. It's accurate and the only keyboard that allows blind typing(typing w/o looking). But in the end I want speed and I don't really have the need to blind type so I defaulted back to FlexT9. FlexT9 also has the swype technology and seems to be more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Swype seems like a more realistic speed boost.
Yes, 8pen strength is in blind typing and only requires one hand. Swyping is by far the fastest key entry, but requires two hands and you must keep an eye on the keyboard. Even faster than typing for me (on the phone--on a PC I'm way faster)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Storm27
Connoisseur
Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Storm27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3S, android phone
Thanks all - lots of food for thought there. Flex T9 looks the most promising for me - and it's made by the voice recognition people too. I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of a "true" handwriting app, but I suspect swype and flex etc would be ok with my RSI if I could combine them with using a stylus.
Storm27 is offline   Reply With Quote