Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Graham Coulson
Magic mushroom tester
Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
Question Will e-book readers eventually go back to paper books?

By all accounts, e-books are so popular they’re outselling paper books and we constantly hear cries of sheer delight from people who simply love their e-reader. They’re all the rage at the moment.

BUT… is it just a short-term craze? … Will the mania cool? … Will a growing number of current devotees slip back to increasingly reading paper books, ultimately to then consign their once beloved e-reader to the recycling dump? Not me, I hear you cry!

I’d love to know what other people feel and why. If you can give your reasons for why you feel the way you do, it’ll promote a really interesting debate.

Graham Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
With an ereader I can have an entire library with me wherever I go. This includes reference works as well as pleasure reading.

The only issue I tend to have with electronic media is that it is awfully easy to "edit" so I worry about "drift" especially in supposedly factual and historical material over time.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've found that I can't bring myself to read on paper any more - even when I want to (because I want to read something that I have in print, or can't get in ebook form). Not really sure why, tbh. So, no going back for me.

It's like suggesting that I'd go back to physical media for music - no chance!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I can't imagine it being a short-term craze just because of the conveniences ereaders offer. For myself, I have a double whammy. I have almost reached the magical age of 50 and need reading glasses and really good light to read a book. Also I have type II diabetes (not controlled as well as it should be at the moment) and my vision goes blurry at times because of that.
For me, it is so much easier to read from either my NC or my Nook Touch--I will never give up on ereading!

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool nope

i sure hope not, imho, the convenience is too great and offsets any drawbacks and complaints that i've heard or read about that people always seem to come up with.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I can't think of any good reason to read a paper book again. I have hundreds of ebooks in my personal library, and my public library keeps adding more and more ebooks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i sure hope not, imho, the convenience is too great and offsets any drawbacks and complaints that i've heard or read about that people always seem to come up with.
You can't get the genie back in the bottle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Coulson View Post
BUT… is it just a short-term craze? … Will the mania cool? … Will a growing number of current devotees slip back to increasingly reading paper books, ultimately to then consign their once beloved e-reader to the recycling dump?
This is like asking if paper is a short-term craze and will people go back to using stone tablets.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This is like asking if paper is a short-term craze and will people go back to using stone tablets.
I do miss borrowing books to make a rubbing.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You can't get the genie back in the bottle.
what they said!

This does not mean that I have abandoned paper books altogether.

All series started in paperback form will be continued in paperback form and I will still make the occasional used book purchase. As for stand alone books, however, the paperback price will have to not only be less than the e-book price, but it will have to be a book that I want or have to read right now.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Or if people will stop using computers and go back to typewriters!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'm going back to paper... Then I'm selling my car to get a horse and buggy, and replacing my ipod witha wind-up Victorolla.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I used to travel for a living in the mid to late 80"s. I would have killed for an ereader back then. Flying with a suitcase full of books was a pain.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Coulson View Post
BUT… is it just a short-term craze? … Will the mania cool? … Will a growing number of current devotees slip back to increasingly reading paper books, ultimately to then consign their once beloved e-reader to the recycling dump? Not me, I hear you cry!
I doubt it. People have been reading off devices for a long time already. But only once the e-ink screens became affordable, did the general public start to notice it. And about everybody I spoke to/chatted with, mentioned that reading a pbook was something they would avoid, if they could help it.

It has gathered a momentum that can't be stopped. Even if the publishers would decide, en masse, to stop producing ebooks, the "scene" is now so advanced, that most people would know where else to find their ebooks.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I never really read paper books, I can count on one hand the number of paper books I have read. Driving 70+ miles to a Barnes & Noble only to see they don't have the book I want or going online and getting the book I want within seconds ? My library has never had a book I wanted either, paper book were to much of a hassle to bother with.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote