Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Copy/move implementation from previous Madshelf version was ugly and quite non obvous (It was copy/cut/paste on files). Does anyone have ideas or maybe a working example of easy to use file operations on such devices?
I interpret this a request for ideas of how to implement file management functions with only number keys for input.
Off the top of my head, the concept that comes to mind is a modal menu pick using a spike.
http://www.rosevines.org/blog/2008/6...ange-text.html
The way it would work would be that under a <file management> menu/pane one could select <tag>,<copy>,<move>,<delete>.

File management would be a three step process:
1- Select tag mode
2- Navigating the file system, each long-pressed file or folder would get added to a list of files on an internal "spike" file. This list could span the entire file system.
3- When done building the transfer list, selecting <copy>,<move>,or <delete> would present the file list and prompt for confirmation before actually carrying out the batch operation.

I know modal operation is not generally considered good UI design on PCs but, Linux or no Linux, ebook Readers aren't PCs.
<shrug>
Anyway, the spike concept is a pretty clean way to carry out repetitive functions, no?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Anyway, the spike concept is a pretty clean way to carry out repetitive functions, no?
Yep, it looks like the sane variant, though it will need a lot of work in madshelf. Thanks for idea (I dislike modes too, but there's just no way to avoid it).
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You're welcome.
Wish I could help more but I haven't coded in decades.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #19
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you want OI to work exactly like the documentation describes then you need to go back to the officially released snapshot instead of an undocumented one. Unfortunately, that introduces a complication. The August snapshots modified the storage filesystem to jffs2, and the released snapshot does not support jffs2, and neither do any of the Hanlin clone firmware packages. So, that means to go back you need to reformat the storage filesystem back to FAT16.
I am a bit concerned by this. I guess there must be benefits to using the jffs2 file system rather than FAT, but BeBook users will be familiar with the hassles of reformatting the internal memory of their devices - it's really hit and miss.

In the past I have tried various OI snapshots, but as I mainly use FB2 and like the CoolReader implementation on BeBook, I have tended to use the BeBook firmware to also maintain the Mobi and ePub DRM capability - just in case. I was looking forward to a later version of OI to really try to move accross, but the file system reformat is something I am not sure I want to go through.

You may find a lot of other users feeling the same way. If you want to ensure maximum flexibility for OI, perhaps you should stick with FAT, but I guess your development may be such that now you depend on features of the jffs2 system? Just a thought...
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #20
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
You may find a lot of other users feeling the same way.
Please only talk for yourself.

Quote:
If you want to ensure maximum flexibility for OI, perhaps you should stick with FAT
And wear out internal flash. I see you really care for the longevity of devices.
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I am a bit concerned by this. I guess there must be benefits to using the jffs2 file system rather than FAT, but BeBook users will be familiar with the hassles of reformatting the internal memory of their devices - it's really hit and miss.
The only advantage of FAT is portability, and one of it's disadvantages is poor reliability as you just mentioned. You can read more about what is going on with the OI file system in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50192

EDIT:
Oops, I see your concerns were already replied to by a much more authoritative source

Last edited by Dave_S; 09-18-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #22
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The only advantage of FAT is portability, and one of it's disadvantages is poor reliability as you just mentioned. You can read more about what is going on with the OI file system in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50192

EDIT:
Oops, I see your concerns were already replied to by a much more authoritative source
Yes it was answered, but I'm afraid the lack of a link to the explanatory thread and the fog of sarcasm made the answer next to useless. I didn't know putting forward an opinion using the conditional "may" would be seen as me speaking for others. And without the link you so kindly provided above, I had no idea about the longevity issues being addressed. Now that I've read the information I can see the point of the filesystem change, and I can see that switching fimrwares should still pose no problem, especially as I store my books on SD. But anyone familiar with the Hanlin V3 clones will know the problems some users have had when reformatting the internal memory.