Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Major issues with eBook Library v2.2 - Sony Support Acknowledges

When I installed eBook Library v2.2 on my laptop it gave me an error that said it could not connect. The library aspects of the software worked fine, but it couldn't connect to the internet (thus, it couldn't connect to the store). I tried all sorts of things (including the suggested fixes at Sony's support site), but none worked. Eventually, I uninstalled v2.2 and reinstalled v2.0 but when I did so I learned that my computer was no longer authorized (luckily, I'd backed up some of the files that I manually deleted following the uninstallation so I was able to restore those files and the authorization). Since then, I've tried several times (doing several different things) to try to get it to work. No luck.

So, over the weekend, I contacted Sony support. They gave me several additional things to try (including specifically authorizing Internet Explorer to communicate with a few particular sites). Still no luck. I was told that if those methods didn't work, I should call support. Which I did yesterday. The support staff was friendly and helpful and I still have one more thing to try from the list that he gave me (I simply ran out of time last night...my family actually wanted me to pay attention to them...the nerve...).

But here's the interesting part: The Sony support representative that I spoke to said that Sony had logged about 4,000 support queries on this exact problem and that Sony was still working on a real solution but so far don't know what is causing the problem!

---Michael
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Something similar happened to me. I tried all tricks in their web site and even reinstalled the eBook Library. It did not work so I sent Sony an email and their answer was that their system was temporarily down and to wait. So I waited some hours and then could log in normally without problem.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #3
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I've run into the same problem, too, and have found that if I do not have the Reader plugged in to the USB port and/or I have iTunes running, I can't connect to the bookstore. If I shut down iTunes *and* plug the Reader in, though, it'll connect regularly.

I've tested this out by trying a the different combinations:

READER UNPLUGGED:
With iTunes opened - Library cannot connect to bookstore
With iTunes closed - Library cannot connect to bookstore
READER PLUGGED IN TO USB:
With iTunes opened - Library cannot connect to bookstore
With iTunes closed - Library CAN connect to bookstore

One important note: if you've forgotten to plug your Reader in or have left iTunes open and cannot connect to the bookstore, once you've either plugged the Reader in or closed iTunes, you'll have to close the Library and then reopen it to connect, but every time I've tried it, it works.

I do not know if other programs that connect to online stores, such as Real Player or Windows Media have the same effect as iTunes does, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Hope that helps some!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the sugggestion. I finally had a chance to try it (I even shut down all of the iTunes processes) but still no luck. eBook Library talks to the Reader just fine, but it still won't connect to the store.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Is this XP or Vista, I wonder... (Not that I can help, as I've no experience of Vista, but I wonder if this is some form of firewall, blocking the Sony app from making outgoing network connections.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

XP (SP3). I've tried the installations and runs with my firewall (Norton Internet Security) enabled and disabled. I've specifically allowed eBook Library access (by modifying the firewall rules). I've put the websites that eBook Library accesses (according to Sony support) on the allowed list within my browser (per Sony's instructions). Nothing works. But 2.0 was able to connect just fine. And, when I uninstall 2.2 and reinstall 2.0 I am able to connect again. So, it appears to be something in 2.2.

And don't forget that the Sony tech told me that they've logged 4,000+ calls on the same issue...
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
XP (SP3). I've tried the installations and runs with my firewall (Norton Internet Security) enabled and disabled. I've specifically allowed eBook Library access (by modifying the firewall rules). I've put the websites that eBook Library accesses (according to Sony support) on the allowed list within my browser (per Sony's instructions). Nothing works. But 2.0 was able to connect just fine. And, when I uninstall 2.2 and reinstall 2.0 I am able to connect again. So, it appears to be something in 2.2.

And don't forget that the Sony tech told me that they've logged 4,000+ calls on the same issue...
I wonder if this is SP3 related.
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wonder if you've tried to run Fiddler using 2.0 and log it, then 2.2 and see what the difference is.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

I doubt that it's really an SP3 issue as 2.0 works fine in an SP3 environment.

What is Fiddler?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I doubt that it's really an SP3 issue as 2.0 works fine in an SP3 environment.

What is Fiddler?
It is a tool that monitors your network traffic. It lets you view the requests being sent over your internet connection and the responses received. http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

It is a good way to see the conversation an application is having with a server. I was planning on using it to reverse engineer the eBook library app and create one for Mac.

BOb
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #11
Scl2051
Scl2051 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Fixed Library

I downloaded the Fiddler program and now can access the library.

I did a little work with the fiddle program and have come to the conclusion that when I enabled the client connections (Sony eBook library) to be used to "improve performance" (faster connection) the library connot connect. Could this be Sony's big "problem"?

Last edited by Scl2051; 08-26-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Scl2051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scl2051 View Post
I downloaded the Fiddler program and now can access the library.

I did a little work with the fiddle program and have come to the conclusion that when I enabled the client connections (Sony eBook library) to be used to "improve performance" (faster connection) the library connot connect. Could this be Sony's big "problem"?
Can you be more specific? Are you saying there is some setting in the Sony software to "improve performance"? And when you turn it off the Sony software works?

BOb
Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Scl2051
Scl2051 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
No, nothing in the sony software will make it run correctly. I was messing with the settings in the Fiddler program to find the problem. All you need to do is install the fiddler program, run it and than open the sony library and you should have a connection. Since then I have not recieved the cannot connect message.

Last edited by Scl2051; 08-28-2008 at 12:26 AM. Reason: not finished
Scl2051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #14
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

I also downloaded, installed, and ran Fiddler 2. So long as Fiddler 2 is running, I can access the eBookstore. If I close Fiddler 2, my ability to access the eBookstore stops. I didn't make any changes to anything; I didn't even look at the results that Fiddler 2 was giving me. I just ran it and was able to connect.

Weird.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong

Oops. Spoke too soon. When I run Fiddler 2 I can access the eBookstore and browse just fine. But I can't log onto my account! When I try, after I enter my email address and password, eBookstore displays its lovely purple rotating arrow icon ... forever. If I close Fiddler 2 I will immediately get the can't connect message. I've tried different variations of when in the process I start Fiddler 2, but none seem to work.