Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #76
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
I'll still be using my T1 until it dies, but when it does, I'll probably just switch to another Kobo device. Kobo has a pretty big presence here in Canada, and they're easily attainable. Whatever the most up to date version of the Aura or the Touch, that'll probably be what I go for. But I can see this thing lasting at least two more years.

I really do wish there were more options, though!
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #77
drdtyc
drdtyc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T2
Off topic slightly.

I prefer Sony T2 ereader because it can zoom into diagrams or charts of many business ebooks which I frequently read. These ebooks are either in EPUB or PDF formats.

I tried Kobo Touch once. It could zoom into diagrams in a PFD ebook only. But it could not zoom into diagrams of a EPUB ebook.

How about other models of Kobo or Kindle?

What ereader alternatives can I choose from to meet this specific diagram-zooming requirement after my Sony T2 dies ?
drdtyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #78
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdtyc View Post
Off topic slightly.

I prefer Sony T2 ereader because it can zoom into diagrams or charts of many business ebooks which I frequently read. These ebooks are either in EPUB or PDF formats.

I tried Kobo Touch once. It could zoom into diagrams in a PFD ebook only. But it could not zoom into diagrams of a EPUB ebook.
Kobos with current firmware can zoom into images in "kepub" books. Kobos have two rendering engines - the Adobe engine is used for epub format books, and can also understand the Adobe DRM. The other engine is written by Kobo themselves, understands Kobo DRM, and supports zooming into images. The engine used is determined by the type of book.

There's a plugin for Calibre that automatically turns your epub books into "kepub" books when you copy them to the device, so the Kobo engine is always used. AIUI kepubs are basically epubs with a different file extension.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #79
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post

There's a plugin for Calibre that automatically turns your epub books into "kepub" books when you copy them to the device, so the Kobo engine is always used. AIUI kepubs are basically epubs with a different file extension.
are you sure about that, I would offer long odds that it is not the case. the Kepub format has never been fully reverse engineered , mostly 'cos no once can see the point of bothering to do it.

if you are correct, please provide some evidence
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #80
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
are you sure about that, I would offer long odds that it is not the case. the Kepub format has never been fully reverse engineered , mostly 'cos no once can see the point of bothering to do it.

if you are correct, please provide some evidence
You're right, the plugin source code looks like it does do more than a rename.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #81
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'll probably just use a Nexus 7 but I might pick myself up a Kobo sometime it's always handy to have an e-ink just in case you need the battery life, I find reading on a tablet just as easy on my eyes though with lux installed and it's far simpler to transfer files over wifi.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #82
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
After waiting and hoping for a long time for Sony to come to their senses I switched to Kobo Aura HD.

I still hang on to my Sony PRS950, because I love the design of that device, but I will only use it as a backup device if the need arises.

I am still prepared to return to Sony if they produce a reader that can compete with modern front lit devices though.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #83
ExEmGe
ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Since my 300 seems to be giving notice, I've bought a Kobo touch. Not as intuitive in use as the Sony was but as I get the hang of it I think I'll like it. I only want it for reading so if I need any special features I can use a tablet. If anything I think the screen and speed are better on the Kobo. Certainly at 29.99 GBP it seems good value and a new Sony would be twice the price
ExEmGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #84
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
To be fair, your Sony 300 is what, 4 or 5 years old? The Kobo Touch is only 2-3 years old, and consequently the screen and processor on it are newer, so it'd be a huge surprise if you didn't notice a little improvement.

The same is true if you were to spend a little more cash (£99) and buy the newer models. The Kobo Glo would feel a little bit faster than your Kobo Touch, same thing if you'd opted for the latest Sony T3, it'd probably look and feel a little bit nicer and faster than the Glo.

At the same time, £29 for the Kobo Touch hits a pretty sweet spot. The fact is, you are getting it for far cheaper than it's worth, and not everyone wants or needs the very latest device. Enjoy your bargain!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #85
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
why PRS350 is still going strong. Trying to find a reason to upgrade to the newer back light enabled reader.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #86
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
After much dithering, asking many questions, looking at tablets, apps, other readers, and even my iPad, I finally decided on a dedicated e-reader. Much as it pains me to give up on my Sony T-1 (tired of carrying a paper clip and the screen is getting a little dimmer), I've just gotten a KPW. I was looking forward to buying a T-3 this summer during a trip to Montreal, but it just doesn't make sense to me now since Sony is abandoning ship. I was very close to buying a Nexus 7, but a tablet would be a major distraction to me.

After a few days, I can say that I've fallen in love with the screen and find the contrast a big improvement. With the Amazon leather cover, it's way heavier than the Sony, but I like the protection as I use it a lot and take it everywhere. I miss the ease of Calibre sorting, but have resigned myself to converting and sideloading a few books at a time into PW collections as I get ready to to read them. I am also happy to see that library borrowing is no problem, a big issue with me as I am blessed with three library systems to choose from and get a lot of my books that way.

Much as I like my new reader, though, how I miss Sony. I won't beat this dead horse further, but it's a shame that they mishandled marketing, distribution and development for what should have been the leading ereader in the field. Oh, well.

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #87
longhair75
longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.longhair75 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I am also sad to see Sony abandoning us. The Kobo site is not as user friendly, they seem to have sorted their books into fewer categories, the prices are higher and I understand there is a 3% foreign transaction surcharge for those of us who do not live in Canada.

I will convert my account when the time comes, and download the Kobo ap for our phones and tablets. I have just bought a Kindle PW, and will be using that for new purchases. I am pretty sure my Calibre software will allow me to convert all of the non-DRM protected epubs I have in my library to the Kindle format.

My PRS 600 and PRS 300 are still hanging in there pretty well, and I have a PRS T1 that is almost new. I will still be able to read my Sony DRM protected content for a long time before needing to buy a Kobo.

I agree with our friend Plumadona: Sony let the leading edge slip through their fingers. It is too bad.
longhair75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #88
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair75 View Post
... and I understand there is a 3% foreign transaction surcharge for those of us who do not live in Canada.
That should not be the case currently. When Kobo first came into existence they billed out of Canada. Because of this banks/credit card companies treated it as a foreign transaction and tacked on foreign exchange fees. Kobo did not charge or receive any of that money. Several years ago Kobo set up a U.S. billing arm (and I assume billing companies in various other countries they do business in) so that the transaction is now a U.S. (or whatever country) domestic transaction and there shouldn't be any surcharge.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 AM   #89
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
I started with a 505 then to a 600 and finally a T1. I do a lot of travelling and when the T1 case cracked I went for a Kindle PW. I have to say I have no regrets. I certainly don't miss having to reboot the Sony at least on a weekly basis. This was an occasional problem on the 505, very frequent on the 600, and FW upgrades made the T1 better eventually. Some things I miss, the Sony could zoom in so any maps etc were easily viewed, I could create a series in Calibre and export to my Sony. I still haven't got that working on the Kindle. I'm not even sure it's possible, and I don't see that as a serious issue. My only regret is in not looking at the Kindle sooner.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #90
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumadona View Post
After much dithering, asking many questions, looking at tablets, apps, other readers, and even my iPad, I finally decided on a dedicated e-reader. Much as it pains me to give up on my Sony T-1 (tired of carrying a paper clip and the screen is getting a little dimmer), I've just gotten a KPW. I was looking forward to buying a T-3 this summer during a trip to Montreal, but it just doesn't make sense to me now since Sony is abandoning ship. I was very close to buying a Nexus 7, but a tablet would be a major distraction to me.

After a few days, I can say that I've fallen in love with the screen and find the contrast a big improvement. With the Amazon leather cover, it's way heavier than the Sony, but I like the protection as I use it a lot and take it everywhere. I miss the ease of Calibre sorting, but have resigned myself to converting and sideloading a few books at a time into PW collections as I get ready to to read them. I am also happy to see that library borrowing is no problem, a big issue with me as I am blessed with three library systems to choose from and get a lot of my books that way.

Much as I like my new reader, though, how I miss Sony. I won't beat this dead horse further, but it's a shame that they mishandled marketing, distribution and development for what should have been the leading ereader in the field. Oh, well.

Plumadona
Glad you are happy with your paperwhite.

I must say though that I am very happy with my T3. I have had it for a couple of months at least and not had to reboot once. The reader and lighted cover together are more compact and seem to weigh less than my T1 without cover and a lot less than my T1 with lighted cover. And at $109 for both, the price seems right. You should sneak a peak at one when you visit Montréal.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote