Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
It just boggles my mind because it's a lot of work. And I assume most of them do it anonymously so they aren't going to get a whole lot of "feel good." Or maybe I just wouldn't get anything out of it so I can't quite place myself in their position.
If I am not mistaken, you don't understand why someone would be donating their time to what they believe is a good cause, if they do it anonymously?

Some people do good (up to everyone to interpert their own way what good is) out of conviction, not for the thanks. That itself makes them "feel good".

Project Gutenberg would not exist without people like this.

Last edited by xendula; 01-14-2013 at 05:23 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #32
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
If I am not mistaken, you don't understand why someone would be donating their time to what they believe is a good cause, if they do it anonymously?

Some people do good (up to everyone to interpert their own way what good is) out of conviction, not for the thanks. That itself makes them "feel good".

Project Gutenberg would not exist without people like this.
No, I don't understand how someone who is stealing a work can feel good about making it available to other people (they are giving away something that does not belong to them). I don't really think anyone interprets it as "good" because even if you think you have a reason for doing it, you have to know it hurts the author.

I get the difference between donating time anonymously to a good cause (and legal ones) and respect volunteers greatly.

But uploading something to an illegal site--no matter your personal feelings on "information wants to be free" ... well, anyone doing it has to know it is illegal for a reason. Anyone doing it has to know they are taking revenue from an author and to put hours and hours of work into something like that...I can't see feeling good about it, nor can I see how they can feel they are doing someone else a favor because it is not "Theirs" to give. I'm not saying they don't feel as you describe, but I don't see how they can feel that way.

But in any case, that's not what the thread was/is about, so no need to continue discussion on my reaction to it.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #33
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
But uploading something to an illegal site--no matter your personal feelings on "information wants to be free" ... well, anyone doing it has to know it is illegal for a reason. Anyone doing it has to know they are taking revenue from an author and to put hours and hours of work into something like that...I can't see feeling good about it, nor can I see how they can feel they are doing someone else a favor because it is not "Theirs" to give. I'm not saying they don't feel as you describe, but I don't see how they can feel that way.
Yet it's been going on for years, think about all the groups that spent a lot of time working on cracking software. There's a lot of pride for these people in being the one that provides something "first", even if all they're ever known by is some pseudonym.

Heck, there's enough people out there writing viruses, rootkits, trojans, etc to keep a large industry of antivirus vendors in business. And these are people that are actively doing something that will hurt a *lot* of people. There's just enough people in the world that there's always going to be some that just don't feel that they need to follow the same rules everyone else does. Trying to understand them is really probably just a waste of one's time.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No doubt, Piper, no doubt.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
No, I don't understand how someone who is stealing a work can feel good about making it available to other people (they are giving away something that does not belong to them). I don't really think anyone interprets it as "good" because even if you think you have a reason for doing it, you have to know it hurts the author.

I get the difference between donating time anonymously to a good cause (and legal ones) and respect volunteers greatly.

But in any case, that's not what the thread was/is about, so no need to continue discussion on my reaction to it.
In that case must have misunderstood you when you said (emphasis mine):
Quote:
And no, I wasn't trying to start THAT argument again. It just boggles my mind because it's a lot of work. And I assume most of them do it anonymously so they aren't going to get a whole lot of "feel good." Or maybe I just wouldn't get anything out of it so I can't quite place myself in their position.

It's just WEIRD. They could make actual money doing this sort of thing working for authors with a backlist. Or they could join communities where they wouldn't need to be anonymous and actually be thanked for helping proof/upload public domain works...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

There's a huge difference to me in putting in a lot of work for a project that is legal and respected and helps people and hurts no one compare to putting in a huge amount of work to get zero out of it and it hurts a number of people along the line. So in that regard, it's possible you misinterpreted one sentence to cover all bases when for me they are two very different things.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
There's a huge difference to me in putting in a lot of work for a project that is legal and respected and helps people and hurts no one compare to putting in a huge amount of work to get zero out of it and it hurts a number of people along the line. So in that regard, it's possible you misinterpreted one sentence to cover all bases when for me they are two very different things.
The tricky bit is that "respected", "helps people" and "hurts no one" are very subjective.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #38
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The tricky bit is that "respected", "helps people" and "hurts no one" are very subjective.
Well, I can only speak for myself (notice the words "to me"). And really unless anyone here is the person uploading to a torrent site, it's all speculation as to what motivates said person to do it. Just as I am assuming they get "nothing" for it, others are assuming they get some sort of feel good thing. But unless one of us is actually doing the uploading we're all writing fiction. They could be deranged, against government, getting paid, doing it for malice, doing it for the sheer joy of scanning copies...

My only real point was that it boggles MY mind that anyone would bother.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
My only real point was that it boggles MY mind that anyone would bother.
As you keep saying, and not letting the subject die...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote