Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #76
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The product listing on jr.com is down. Did anyone grab a screen shot?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #77
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
these small changes certainly wont make me run out and get a new one. especially as sony has released minimal support for t1. same screen etc. they might as well just have upgraded software for t1. i suspect there will be a software port to t1 available quickly after release
When I got my T1 last fall, I chose the Sony over the Nook because it had audio and physical buttons.
So what does Sony do for the T2? Right; take out the audio and physical buttons.
Way to make the Nook glowlight look more useful, guys!
B&N thanks you!

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #78
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The product listing on jr.com is down. Did anyone grab a screen shot?

Got one here: http://cme.at/wp-content/uploads/201...screenshot.jpg
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #79
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I got a red one also. I currently have the red and I love it. It's a nice, ruby red. I did skin it, just to protect it. I only put my reader in the case when I'm traveling, so I figured I'd skin it. I can still see the red at the edges though. I've had many people ask me what kind of reader it was, the red really attracts attention.
Mine's been shipped! Can't wait to see the red in person. New toy for me
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #80
Isles8008
Connoisseur
Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isles8008 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nexus 10, Kindle Paperwhite, iRiver Story HD
I have seen some close up pictures of the PRS-T2 and from what I can tell, the physical buttons are still there, just extremely low profile and fitted to their icons.
Isles8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #81
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
Disappointing. I was hoping for a higher resolution , smaller bezel and build in light.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #82
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
There seems to be no technical progress at all. The devices seem to get ever more low end instead. Why are they suddenly talking about six dictionaries only, instead of the twelve dictionaries of the previous readers? What has happened to the German, Italian and Dutch dictionaries? If they have dropped them it is a bad move by Sony as the German market is bigger than the French one. Yet we are supposed to be delighted by a free Harry Potter? A generous gift voucher for a book of your own choice would be far more welcome.
I am still angry about their decision to drop support for the BBeB books as well. Very little incentive for the existing user base to buy a new Sony reader.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #83
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Higher resolution would be nice to have. Higher resolution is one of the reasons for owning a 5" reader which has noticeable sharper text.

I wonder why the standard resolution (600px * 800px on 6") is so wide spread. Better resolution could be a big selling argument, even a technical noob knows in principle: the higher the better - which actually leads to absurd numerical values on cell phone cameras.

The buttons on the other hand look quite ok and I agree with Isles8008 that they are probably physical buttons. Sounds promising to me.

Which sounds promising too is that page turning should be less flickering. Maybe thay developed a better algorithm and/or the pearl screen hade suffered developing in that direction. Or both.
But who really knows what they mean when they write 'better'. 'Better' than what?

If the T2 wil not have audio capability that would not do harm (to me). It's an ereader. For audio I (would) use an ipod shuffle or something comparable.

Facebook connection is nice to have. As long as the information of my reading behaviour is not connected to facebook, I would say, it's OK.

There are mentioned 6 dictionaries. Not 12 as in past times. That could be a back step. But that information could be wrong because thay even do not mention german language, which will in any case be on board.
It would be a better choice to put more dics on board to make it possible to translate even the orther way round into non english languages (e.g. french --> german).

There is no mention of 3g. No difference against the T1.

Battery life should be up to 2 month. Even if the reality brings out 1 month, thats good an a clear progress.

I admit that I do not like the T1. Meanwhile I got used to android, rooting a device and to its apps. With it's (in my opinion and estimation) better frame and maybe slightly better screen, the T2 can be a great device and worth an update.

For me that sounds like an upgrade comparable the upgrade from Windows Vista to Win7.

PS: Harry Potter:
I have the impression, that the hype (not meant negative) around Harry Potter is over. I think every person who wanted to read one of this books has allready done it. What is a Harry Potter ebook for?
In my opinion that's a typical behaviour of a brand with internal conflicts.
Different divisions with different wishes and a big fear to make less money.
Which leads to a behaviour which in turn leads to loosing more money they could imagine.
They should have put it into the T1 instead.

Last edited by Analogus; 08-11-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #84
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Where do you read less flickering and slightly better screen?

;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #85
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
but why would i buy one. i am happy with the t1 and cant see a compelling reason for upgrading. the dissapointment of the reader store still bothers me. i am finding myself having to buy books from kobo as they actually have the books i want and i can search on the site. i tried searching for michael connolly the other day on reader store and got all sorts of rubbish and none of his books - how amateurish can you get sony. i might as well make kobo my next reader as that is where i get books from and it would integrate better
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #86
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Where do you read less flickering and slightly better screen? ;-)
Sorry, wrong link:
The right one (klick)
Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 AM   #87
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
I have seen some close up pictures of the PRS-T2 and from what I can tell, the physical buttons are still there, just extremely low profile and fitted to their icons.
To me they look like capacitance-touch buttons.
My experience with those on other devices is not good; blalky at times, over-sensitive at others.
(shrug)
They're saving me money, though.

On the audio: if the T2 has no audio, that means that neither Sony nor B&N nor Kobo is offering audio ebook capabilities in their primary reader. That pretty much concedes the entire audio ebook market to Amazon. Its only a couple hundred million worth of sales a year but it leaves Kindle with a big selling point to those that care.

The dictionary? The quoted translation dicts are about right: for the north american market. German is only critical for the european market.
My take is that we are looking at a NorthAm-only configuration and that the other dictionaries were dropped to make room for Facebook and Evernote. (The euro configuration will likely be different.) Given that the T1 was app-space constrained this suggests that the unspecified specifications ( ) are unchanged from the T1.

Not really sure I see how the T2 would be preferable to T1 unless you're phobic about the shiny T1 bezel. And even there the trade-offs look dubious.

The thing better hit US$79 *fast*.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-11-2012 at 07:39 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #88
Analogus
Fanatic

I'm not sure. Here another screenshot in higher quality:

KLick

or look:

Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #89
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
Whew! Actually, I don't mind if they're capacitance-touch buttons as fjtorres thinks they might be, just a long as it means I don't have to touch the screen and end up with lots of fingerprints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Hi
Annother advantage could be the new button style. The T1 buttons look and feel cheap and unfirm, the colour of the button will get removed over time (same problem as the X50 series reader).
I quite like the present buttons, but they do tend to get dirt building up round them; the new ones are an improvement. It's a shame Sony didn't take the opportunity to change the order of the buttons, though, given how many people have complained about the position when using it in different hands. I think having the page buttons either side of the home button would have been better.

All in all, it does seem rather underwhelming. The loss of the dictionaries and audio is annoying, particularly the latter - I can't read in moving vehicles, so I like to have a couple of audiobooks to listen to on journeys, and it's useful not to need another device. Given the Kobo price point, I hope these changes mean the T2 will have a more realistic price.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #90
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
The ebook-reader hardware market seems to be caught in a race to the bottom - just about who can churn out the cheapest reader with the same e-ink screen. Innovations? Hardly existent. Where are the readers that cater for different needs? 5" and > 6" readers? - almost gone from the market. Robust readers with large screens and large buttons for elderly people? - do not exist. Sealed readers that can be used at the beach and that do not die if caught by rain on the garden table? - do not exist. Readers with high definition screens and high-quality materials for those who are willing to spend more money on a premium reader? - do not exist.
Manufacturers seem to be paralysed by panic about low price tablets - just as if these were really competing with dedicated readers.

Last edited by CommonReader; 08-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote