Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
TAG_Keri
TAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: sony PRS-T1, Prs350, Kindle3Gwifi, MiGear
Odd USB problem

I have a fully updated PRST1, but since the last update a USB problem has cropped up. When I connect the reader to the USB port on my PC the [USB Connected 'Data Transfer Mode' Tap the Icon. To read or charge press Home button]. screen comes up.
I hit the Data Transfer Mode bar and I'm sent to the home screen. Just as if I had pressed the Home button. I have to disconnect the usb and immediatly connect again and get the USB Screen again. Then I hit the Data Transfer bar and I'm in Data Transfer Mode. Tried it on other pcs and different USB ports and different usb cables. Happens every time.
Anyone else's T1 with this odd behavior? It's not a biggy, just annoying.

Last edited by TAG_Keri; 03-30-2012 at 11:13 PM.
TAG_Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
camperbc
Enthusiast
camperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five wordscamperbc can name that ebook in five words

Device: PRS-T1
Yup, this is happening to me lately too, but as you say, it's not a biggy. I would like to know why though.

Glen
camperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
IMHO it is a timing issue - in order to go to "transfer mode" regular disks (sdcard, extsd, udisk) have to be cleanly unmounted first. Everything happens asynchronously and in different parts of Android. If something did not happen in time or out of sequence during unmount procedure - you will see what you see. The reasons could be many - difficult to tell without studying logs from your system, but anything like Link2SD, too many books, un-flashed buffers, stubborn program which has files open or is running from SD card could be the reason
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
TAG_Keri
TAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animalsTAG_Keri is kind to children and small, furry animals

For Rupor:
No SD card, I only keep 2 or 3 books on the reader at any one time. I keep my books backed up on the PC. I always eject the reader before I remove the cable. My external HD is only used for backup, so it's very rarely connected, and even then I eject it before removing the cable. I have tried it with all my books so I doubt it is an .epub or .txt issue.
It's no problem really, just wondering if anyone else had this. It's confined to the T1. The Kindle, 350 and the MiGear are OK. My OS is Win7 Ult.
Thanks anyhow for your time in replying.

/Hangs head in shame to admit I own an MiGear, but it was my first Reader and I wanted a cheapie to see if I liked using Readers.
// My story and I'm stickin' to it

Last edited by TAG_Keri; 03-31-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

If this is un-rooted reader you need to check you USB cable, this is the most likely cause. If cable is OK - see what kind of software you have on your PC/MAC. I've seen reports of all kind of problems with improper USB drivers from various packages giving people headaches...
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
TAG_Keri

Nah, It's unrooted. Tried different usb cables. On my new laptop (Sony Vaio Z) I did a clean install of Win7 Ult and fully updated all MS patches, and no programs/games installed. Disabled my AV. same thing. It didn't happen before the last Sony update. I had the badly behaving T1 of eternal scrolling and dictionary popup, which the patch solved so the update was welcome. As long as I have the workaround of unplugging the cable and reinserting it I don't mind.

Last edited by TAG_Keri; 03-31-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Is it directly into the PC or a hub - that sometimes causing some funny behaviour...

Or is it just me ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle

In my custom firmware which enables Android Apps2SD on PRS-T1 I had to re-write a lot of the code which deals with USB on the device end. It gave me tremendous headache to repeat all tricks Sony is playing (at least all I was able to learn about) - now I am wondering what was I fighting
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
TAG_Keri

No USB hub, direct to PC or lappy ports. 6 & 3 USB ports respectively. No it's not you, I had trouble with a USB hubs on my last PC OS XP. Very iffy to use, sometimes they would work other times not so good. I'm in the same boat as CamperBC as wanting to know why.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
Hartsock
Enthusiast
Hartsock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have seen the same behavior, but for me it does not seem to have any effect on the data transfer. Even after tapping to go to data transfer mode and going to the home screen instead, everything transfers just fine. Hard to figure just what is going on.
Hartsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #11
TAG_Keri

I found some time and fiddled around for a while with the T1. Connect with the USB. Press the data transfer bar and HOLD for 2-3 seconds, not tap it. Seems to work.
Thanks everyone for replies.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
gicking
gicking began at the beginning.

PRS-T1 also USB problem...

hello all,

I seem to have a similar USB problem with the PRS-T1. Here's the situation:

- PRS-T1 rooted with Rupor's "Minimal Root Package". But since I had issues with hanging device and USB mounting (see below), I unrooted it via SD card

- when I connect the reader via USB, drive "SETTING" is reliably mounted, but "READER" is not --> not a cable issue. Without "READER" partition, I cannot upload etc.

- I have a Mac running OSX 10.8.4, and before rooting everything worked fine

Any idea what I may still try? Any help is appreciated!

Geetings, Georg

PS: here's a screenshot after connecting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	108282  

Last edited by gicking; 07-15-2013 at 05:42 PM.
gicking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
gicking
gicking began at the beginning.

problem solved

hello again,

formatting both the SD card and the internal memory worked --> all data is gone, but now I can mount the reader again

Have a nice day!
Georg
gicking is offline   Reply With Quote