Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Aspen
Aspen began at the beginning.

Device: Velocity Cruz
Can someone tell me how to fix this? Downloaded wrong format?

I have a Cruz and I am very new to the eReader world.....and starting to hate it already. I have downloaded a bunch of free ebooks to be sure I understood how to do it before I paid for my first book last night.

I thought I could use the first ebook purchase coupon at Kobo, so I downloaded it from there. I didn' think it would be a big deal since I bought my eReader at Borders and was told that it uses the Kobo eReader format or whatever.

Turns out not only did none of the coupons work (apparantly they were only for a specific *list* of books ) now I can't get the darn thing onto my eReader in a format that I can read. It downloaded as an epub, and I guess my first clue of a problem was that I couldn't get it to download to my eReader........said it would only download to Kobos but that I could read it in Adobe Digital Editions. I have that on my laptop and I have Calibre so I assumed that I could take it from my laptop and move it to the eReader. Put it on an SD card and moved it to the eReader, but FBREADER, BORDERS APP and LAPUTA and ALDILKO--none of them can open it.

SO FRUSTRATED

I still believe I can do this but don't understand HOW!
Aspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I am far from an expert on this but the Cruz is an Android tablet??? right??

So I believe one of the things you could do is install the Kobo Books Android App and then access your book through that.

http://www.kobobooks.com/android

There's probably other ways to do it .. but that's one.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Aspen

I tried to do that abookreader but all it gives me from there is the barcoded thing that you need a phone to scan or it tells you to go to the marketplace.

I don't have access to the entire marketplace, but hubby says if someone knows the file name for the app, he can possibly find it elsewhere online. It should end in .apk but we don't know it's name, and KOBO only seems to want android phones to get it.

Hubby almost bought a Droid 2 the other day, which he claims would have solved everything because he could access it with his phone and move it over to my reader, but he decided to wait on changing phones likely till after the holidays.

Other than that we are at a loss.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Using my phone barcode scanner I got this URL:
http://market.android.com/search?q=p...obooks.android
I dont know if it'll work, but you can try to direct your tablets browser to this address.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Aspen

Thanks for trying. I hoped that would work but it said "not found error 404"
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Aspen

Just read the post below mine about Kobo having DRM....never read that anywhere else before and I thought I researched fairly well about DRM and nonDRM sources since I have not done any research on the legality of removing DRM and am uncomfortable with the entire issue at present. I have to say that this makes me hate the entire eReader world even more.

There is just nothing about this learning curve that has been fun or even smooth. The ONE freaking book I really wanted to have for vacation tomorrow can only be read on my PC....boy sure am glad I have an eReader then. SHEESH!
Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
SO FRUSTRATED

I still believe I can do this but don't understand HOW!
The Velocity Cruz is an Android based device. The website claims it can display ePub, PDF, HTML, and text files. If the file you bought is an ePub file, it should theoretically display the format.

You stated you previously got free ebooks to make sure you knew what you were doing. Did they work as expected? What format were they in? How did you load them on your Cruz?

I assume you tried to follow the same steps with the purchased title?

One problem you might be having is DRM. Free titles generally don't have it. They can be "side-loaded" onto devices that can read that format, and should display largely as expected. Titles protected by Digital Rights Management require special steps to be read, as you must prove you actually bought and paid for the title. What the steps are will depend on where you got it and what you plan to read it on.

For Kobobooks purchases, it appears you need Adobe Digital Editions to make the transfer to the reader: http://www.kobobooks.com/ade

Calibre won't do it. It's a "protected" file Calibre can't open. Calibre has no provisions for handling DRM. ADE is able to do the magic that confirms you have a legitimately purchased title and open it up.

But even with ADE, there's still a potential problem. Kobo's instructions assume you will be using ADE to load the book to a supported reader. The list Kobo says are supported is
  • Kobo eReader
    PRS-300 Reader Pocket Edition
    PRS-505 Reader Digital Book
    PRS-600 Reader Touch Edition
    PRS-700BC Reader Digital Book
    Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro
    Asktak (EZ Reader, EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Mentor)
    Barnes & Noble Nook
    BeBook (One, Mini)
    Bookeen (Cybook Opus, Gen 3)
    COOL-ER Classic
    Elonex eBook 600
    HanLin eBook (V3, V5)
    IREX Digital Reader 1000S
    Neolux NUUT

The Velocity Cruz isn't on the list.

It sounds like you either have a corrupted download and an invalid file, or you have a purchased ebook you can't read on your device unless you can remove the DRM "protection".
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
Just read the post below mine about Kobo having DRM....never read that anywhere else before and I thought I researched fairly well about DRM and nonDRM sources since I have not done any research on the legality of removing DRM and am uncomfortable with the entire issue at present. I have to say that this makes me hate the entire eReader world even more.
You can assume most purchased titles will have some form of DRM. It has nothing to do with the ereader devices, and everything to do with misplaced notions on the part of the issuers of the books that they must be encumbered with protection to prevent piracy. There are a few havens of sanity, like Baen Books Webscriptions program, that do not apply DRM, but the larger world hasn't yet gotten the memo that it's self defeating and turns off customers.

You can probably find advice elsewhere on MR about removing the DRM. Meanwhile, I'd suggest urging Velocity to go through the steps needed to be a device Kobobooks supports.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Publishers determine whether a book does, or does not have DRM. Kobobooks sells books in multiple formats. This includes both DRM ePUB files and those that are not DRM. They also have a proprietary DRM for books from Publishers that want DRM but are loaded to applications or their readers though sync. Kobo apps (like mine for Android) only load non DRM ePUB files and books encoded with Kobo's proprietary DRM through the sync function. . When I shop from my application, I can see if the book has DRM or not. The kobobooks site does not have this information available when I am shopping from my computer.

Have you contacted Kobo help about this? Give the information about your Cruz, the book, and the format.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Aspen

Just emailed them so I guess we'll see if they can help. I mean it is ridiculous.....they are Borders eReader, I bought my device at Borders, and it comes with a Borders app.....and it doesn't open this darn file.

Anyway thanks for the help. I assumed since it listed the formats the book was published in, and because my reader accepts those formats, that it would be simple. It didn't say anything about DRM, but I was using the internet and not my application to search for it.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Chin up, you just need to get it set-up correctly. The thing is, you don't really have an eReader, you have an Android tablet.

Can you access email from your Cruz reader? If so, I believe you can put that email address in here and then use your reader to open the download link.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a..._download.html

You might try asking in the Android section here or calling Kobo/Borders Customer support.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the plus side--once you have purchased a book from Kobo you can have both the ePUB versions and the versions through sync--but maybe not both on the Cruz . Check your Kobo/Borders library on the Borders website. My Android app automatically syncs the books I have in my "I'm Reading" list on the (Kobo) website with my Android Application on my phone. It syncs as soon as I open the application, and again when I close it.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #13
Aspen

Quote:
Can you access email from your Cruz reader? If so, I believe you can put that email address in here and then use your reader to open the download link.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_a..._download.html
Hadn't set up my email yet, but once I got it set up, I really thought this one was going to work. Turns out the download link is only good for devices that have the Marketplace installed.........good lord!

Quote:
Check your Kobo/Borders library on the Borders website.
It only shows the free ebooks I downloaded from Borders.....doesn't show the book I bought at Kobo at all. Which is odd since it seems like it should show the new book.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Ahhh, grasshopper--one machine--two sync accounts. Kobo purchased books and Borders purchased books do not play nicely on the same reader or app when we are talking sync. Your device can only sync to one or the other--not both.

On a reader (as opposed to an application on a tablet or phone), folks get around that by using one store for sync and loading the other books (whether purchased from Kobo, Borders, Whitecoulis, or Sony--just to name a few) as ePUBs though ADE or Calibre.

Last edited by taming; 11-12-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
Do you have access to the txtr app? It's not pretty, but it supports Adobe DRM.

The current version of Aldiko doesn't support DRM, but their next version should.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote