Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
ps56k
ps56k began at the beginning.

Device: still looking
reading paper vs using an eReader

I was sitting and reading thru a magazine at the library today, and was thinking about how that experience was different than sitting and reading materials on a computer or an eReader....

For me - I think it is skimming -
full page, with 3 columns... looking for trigger words.

This is probably different than reading a book where the process is more linear and you must read thru the text completely without skipping around.

So... it was just an observation of reading style, and how a real paper document for me might be better at times vs trying to read it on an eReader.

Wonder what others have found -
what works on paper & what works on an eReader ?
ps56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I don't think you'd get the same reading experience from the current breed of dedicated e-Ink devices.
For me it works really well for "sequential" reading, but not as well for reference books, magazines, etc. It could be the software limitation of my trusty Iliad, I'd love to hear other people's experiences ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
taglines
Banned
taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taglines has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
ps56km, see the thread also here about "snail reading"......I'd love to hear your response too. Tag.
taglines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I don't think you'd get the same reading experience from the current breed of dedicated e-Ink devices.
For me it works really well for "sequential" reading, but not as well for reference books, magazines, etc. It could be the software limitation of my trusty Iliad, I'd love to hear other people's experiences ...
I think exactly the same.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Reading fiction on my Sony Reader PRS-505 is 95% similar (or in many case more pleasant) to reading paper book. It defenitely beats up reading paper back editions that tend to fall apart, have small prints, broken spines etc.
I strongly believe it depends on the ebook reader. If it was kindle I would go back to printed books because of hardware keyboard. The keyboard would destroy the reading environment for me. Also other ebook readers do not have the proper page numbers like Sony ebook Readers, so I would not be able to enjoy reading books on them.

However, when it comes to technical staff. Printed books win hands down.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #6
polyfragmentiert
Groupie
polyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshespolyfragmentiert can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SONY PRS-T1, bald tolino vision 3 HD
I just got my first reader and have been asking myself similar questions, actually. My 5 inch reader, the Opus, really does "force" sequential reading as one finds it in normal books. Skimming is, obviously, not an option, the reading area is just too small for that.

If bigger screens become available, they shoud facilitate skimming and scanning nicely, newspaper-style.
polyfragmentiert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Ereader vs paper

I'm half way through Stephen Kings "Under the dome" (Fantastic book IMHO). I bought it in hardcover because it was my only option and I couldn't wait for the ebook release. Ever time I pick up this 1074 page monster I wish I was reading it on my PRS-300. Not only is it heavy and ackward, it is totally NOT portable. Oh well at least I'm toning up my bicepts and wrists.

Regards, Daryl
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I have a bad habit of skipping ahead when reading fiction, and the sequential nature of ebook reading helps prevent me from doing that.

For technical literature it's not so good - I still print PDFs of scientific papers to take home with me. I'm reading one book that is too long to print, so I'm struggling with the .pdf on my n800. Not fun. A large-screen color device with a good quick .pdf and .html reader would be perfect for scientific articles, though.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
IcePick
IcePick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrayman View Post
I'm half way through Stephen Kings "Under the dome" (Fantastic book IMHO). I bought it in hardcover because it was my only option and I couldn't wait for the ebook release. Ever time I pick up this 1074 page monster I wish I was reading it on my PRS-300. Not only is it heavy and ackward, it is totally NOT portable. Oh well at least I'm toning up my bicepts and wrists.

Regards, Daryl
I had exactly the same thoughts while I was reading the new Wheel of Time book.
IcePick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
LauraLynn
Enthusiast
LauraLynn is on a distinguished road

Device: iPod Touch, Dell Axim X30 & EB1150
I read ebooks on 2 devices: an Ebookwise and also my Dell Axim X30. I LOVE them! I will only read a paper book now if it happens to be in the house and I'm out of reading material for either of my readers.... not likely to happen LOL!

As for reference reading. I LOVE the Ebookwise for that. I'm currently reading a book on grassroots marketing for my business. With the Ebookwise I'm highlighting and inserting pages for note taking. Then when I'm done, I can go back and just read what I've highlighted and my notes!
LauraLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick View Post
I had exactly the same thoughts while I was reading the new Wheel of Time book.
I am having this issue now,with A Suitable Boy,I find myself constantly wishing I had it in ebook format for either the kindle (so I could read on ipod touch) or the sony reader.....and then it dawns on me how accustomed I've become...to the ease of reading on it...I think alot of regular books,that I can't get in ebook format are going to become read at home only books-as a friend commented the other day "so do you only read that at home on rainy days" or "is that your new weight for your upper body exercises" ..about a few books on my nightstand...

a friend was packing to go on vacation,and she mused at how much of it was reading material...and many of us told her to digitize her materials,to get an ereader or just read on the iphone.I simply ADORE how much I can take with me on a trip to read,and be able to fit it all in my purse
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I find that the experience is roughly the same for print only fictional works. For technical works, PDF on a laptop rules the roost imo, as I can add notes and copy data more easily to my laptop. For magazines, print offers a much much nicer experience, same for newspapers imo.

Hypertext is great on a newspaper, but they aren't sufficiently interactive as of yet. The ereader and website newspapers of the future will have incredibly interactivity, but at the moment they aren't 'that' much better than a traditional print newspaper which is easy to read in multiple columns.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I much prefer paper books vs. most ereader format eBooks. I cannot stand the way most eReader eBooks are formatted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote