Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
paaThaka
Connoisseur
paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PDF/epub contents indexing on iPad or Android tablet?

I've finally given up. I'm going to buy a glossy screen IPS tablet, regardless of the reflections.

Now my next decision is deciding between iPad 64GB (+64GB of cloud storage) or Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T 64GB (+64 GB SDXC card, once the Asus firmware update fixes the incompatibility with 64GB cards).

To me both screens are high resolution enough. Both are fast enough. I prefer Android (esp. with full Chrome + Firefox including their research oriented plugins) instead of iOS, but I'm willing to limp along with iOS + Safari, if my other requirements are fulfilled.

What I really need, is contents indexing for my 64GB+ worth of research PDF files, books and epub titles. Not just titles indexing, but full text contents indexing for a lightning fast search.

So, after having tried searching for PDF indexing in both Google Play Market and iTunes store and having found nothing, I'm turning you for help:

Does anybody know of a file contents indexing software (PDF + epub support) for either Android or iOS?

I'm not looking into buying a basic ebook reader for manual book reading.

I'm trying to buy a research reading / annotation / mark-up / search database tablet for my whole research files library. Kinda like my desktop research computer on-the-go, but in tablet form, with a fully indexed files contents database.

It this possible now on Android or iOS?

Or do I have to wait for the Windows 8 (non-RT) tablets, after all, such indexing software are available for Windows 7?

All help and ideas are welcome on this.
paaThaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I am a researcher and use an iPad for reading and annotating research articles. One of my favourite apps is iAnnotate, which is an annotation app with tons of features and, I believe, also full text search. I keep my entire research library in iAnnotate, synced with my work computer via Dropbox.

Depending on whether you work in Windows or on a mac, you might also want to consider Papers or Sente for iPad, which have corresponding mac and/or Windows programs. I primarily use Sente, but they don't have a windows version. Both programs combine PDF management, annotation and cite while you write. Here is a pretty decent review:

http://www.joachim-scholz.com/academ...gement-system/

http://www.joachim-scholz.com/academ...ment-system-2/
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
paaThaka
Connoisseur
paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paaThaka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Brilliant, thanks for the tip.

iAnnotate (full version) should be coming to Android as well. That would be a real saver for me.

Now if I could only get Zotero to work on Android properly. The current Android Zotero apps aren't worth much, imho.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
brufi
brufi began at the beginning.

Device: ilard book
iAnnotate is on playstore now
brufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
GoodReader is an awesome program for handling PDF on iOS. If you need to deal with PDF, get an iPad. The screen aspect at 4:3 is better for PDF then 16:9. Also, you can use GoodReader which is a very big plus.

http://www.goodiware.com/goodreader.html
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
just wait until W8 comes out.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Look into Papers from Mekentosj if you are into science articles.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
paaThaka
Connoisseur

Reviving this thread. Any New changes?

Windows 8 was a total failure for me. Most software I need is not available on Windows8RT (please, learn a difference between Windows8, WP8 and Windows8RT).

Also, the Windows8 "tablets" are 1.xkg luggable behemoths with barely 6 hour battery life. No thanks.

Any changes on Android or iPad?

Any way to increase the storage capacity of iPad or Android tablets (using WiFI HDs or some alternatives) that remain 100% searchable and indexable?

Last edited by paaThaka; 12-16-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by paaThaka View Post
Reviving this thread. Any New changes?

Windows 8 was a total failure for me. Most software I need is not available on Windows8RT (please, learn a difference between Windows8, WP8 and Windows8RT).

Also, the Windows8 "tablets" are 1.xkg luggable behemoths with barely 6 hour battery life. No thanks.

Any changes on Android or iPad?

Any way to increase the storage capacity of iPad or Android tablets (using WiFI HDs or some alternatives) that remain 100% searchable and indexable?
A lot of android tablets come with expandable storage options, iPads don't, though.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
paaThaka
Connoisseur

Yes, Androids do come with expandable storage.

But can you get a fully indexable PDF repository of 64+64GB on Android tablet with a HD or larger screen (enough for paper reading, lower res don't cut it for maths and diagrams)?

The hunt continues.

Almost broke down and bought Acer W700 with Windows8 (not RT), but the 6 hour battery life and 1kg weight finally put me to my senses. Not to mention the silly price
Old 11-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
pagem
pagem began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Two years on, has anyone found an Android PDF reader with indexed searching?
pagem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Well, for anyone still searching, I've found a solution for PDF indexes. QuickSearch PDF app on Apple app store. (paid). But works charms. Seems like I can't take index out and put it on my other ipad. It indexes the file everytime I put it on there. Only PDF support (no epubs).
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 AM   #13
nami
nami began at the beginning.

I found docsearch (and docsearch+) so useful for searching large epubs, although it has some problems with Persian script.
nami is offline   Reply With Quote