Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #16
mykoffee
Enthusiast
mykoffee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm having the same problem and came here hoping to find help. I purchased a book from B&N that turned out to be defective and they refunded my money. I can't get it off my Nook or out of my library. On the Nook it doesn't give me the option to even archive it, let alone delete. In my B&N library it doesn't give the option to delete it only archive it, which I've done. I've gone into my Nook folder with the device plugged into the computer and deleted it there and it's gone, and yet the dumb thing still keeps showing up on my Nook. So frustrating!

I emailed B&N about this a few days ago and haven't heard back. I don't understand why they make it so hard to delete a book off this device. I'm till in the return time-frame and if this can't be resolved quickly I think I'm going to return it and try the Kindle.

Linda
mykoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykoffee View Post
I'm having the same problem and came here hoping to find help. I purchased a book from B&N that turned out to be defective and they refunded my money. I can't get it off my Nook or out of my library. On the Nook it doesn't give me the option to even archive it, let alone delete. In my B&N library it doesn't give the option to delete it only archive it, which I've done. I've gone into my Nook folder with the device plugged into the computer and deleted it there and it's gone, and yet the dumb thing still keeps showing up on my Nook. So frustrating!

I emailed B&N about this a few days ago and haven't heard back. I don't understand why they make it so hard to delete a book off this device. I'm till in the return time-frame and if this can't be resolved quickly I think I'm going to return it and try the Kindle.

Linda
You can hide archived items on nook, so it should disappear from there.
B&N support is totally frustrating me. I've got the very same reply about 5 times: "Delete from your B&N library"...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
mykoffee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You can hide archived items on nook, so it should disappear from there.
B&N support is totally frustrating me. I've got the very same reply about 5 times: "Delete from your B&N library"...

I have it set to hide archived items and it's hid others, but not this one. I cannot get rid of this damn book! No reply from CS so far. It doesn't even give me the option to delete it out of my Barnes and Noble library. I am hoping B&N customer service can go in with their magic wand and get that book out of my library for good, but now I'm starting to wonder. Last time I tried calling tech support was about this defective ebook, I was on hold for an hour and fifteen minutes before someone came on the line, checked and told me it was faulty. It's like a thorn in my side I can't get rid of...

Linda
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have it set to hide archived items and it's hid others, but not this one. I cannot get rid of this damn book! No reply from CS so far. It doesn't even give me the option to delete it out of my Barnes and Noble library. I am hoping B&N customer service can go in with their magic wand and get that book out of my library for good, but now I'm starting to wonder. Last time I tried calling tech support was about this defective ebook, I was on hold for an hour and fifteen minutes before someone came on the line, checked and told me it was faulty. It's like a thorn in my side I can't get rid of...

Linda
I've got the same thorn. And even though I can hide my 2 failed purchases, it still bothers me. Archiving is not deleting, it's a compromise at best.
Good luck with CS. To me they repeatedly stated, they can't delete but I should do so. Hey guys, I've told you 734 times, that I CANNOT delete. It's greyed out and not accessible. Typical example of CS who's been trained in theory, but actually never has been playing around. This thread clearly shows, that it's a common problem. And it would be so easy to solve... Best solution would be, automatically deleting failed purchases after 24 hours. Either you re-purchase instantaneously after having failed, or you'll never do. Someone earlier in this thread reported, his titles did disappear after some time.
For books, I've re-purchased the very same title, thus "overwriting" the failed purchase. Didn't work for magazines/newspapers though. I get the next issues, but the failed one remains.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Well, considering my failed purchases are gone, either there is a way to delete them or they expire.
Speaking of "my library" there are two UI for accessing it. If you just click on the "My BN" button on the top there're two options where you can go from there -- the small link "Visit your e-books library" in the left vertical pane or the huge horizontal "my library" section.

As far as I remember I was able to delete the failed purchases from within the "e-books library" (the link on the left).
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
mykoffee
Enthusiast

Quote:
I've got the same thorn. And even though I can hide my 2 failed purchases, it still bothers me. Archiving is not deleting, it's a compromise at best.
Good luck with CS. To me they repeatedly stated, they can't delete but I should do so. Hey guys, I've told you 734 times, that I CANNOT delete. It's grayed out and not accessible. Typical example of CS who's been trained in theory, but actually never has been playing around. This thread clearly shows, that it's a common problem. And it would be so easy to solve... Best solution would be, automatically deleting failed purchases after 24 hours. Either you re-purchase instantaneously after having failed, or you'll never do. Someone earlier in this thread reported, his titles did disappear after some time.
For books, I've re-purchased the very same title, thus "overwriting" the failed purchase. Didn't work for magazines/newspapers though. I get the next issues, but the failed one remains.

I called B&N customer service and this time the wait time was less, thankfully. The rep I spoke with said that there is no way to remove it off the Nook until it's deleted from my digital library. Since I am not able to do so on my end he said he'd submit a form to have it taken off by Barnes and Noble. He said I should wait a few days and then call them back if it doesn't disappear.

To add a few details -

-I purchased the faulty book on 1/25, before I even got the Nook, and it hasn't disappeared from my library yet. To have it show up on my Nook and refuse to leave has been frustrating to say the least.

-I can't re-download it and overwrite it because the file is faulty on their end, they've removed it for sale and are contacting the publisher.

-It's showing up in black on my Nook, not even grayed out. I've tried plugging the Nook into my pc by usb and looking in both the B&N library folder and even the my documents folder just in case, it shows up in neither.

I hope they're able to remove it on their end. It seems ridiculous to me that deleting an ebook would be this difficult. I'm still in the return window and may do it and get a Kindle instead if this can't be resolved.

Linda
Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I called B&N customer service and this time the wait time was less, thankfully. The rep I spoke with said that there is no way to remove it off the Nook until it's deleted from my digital library. Since I am not able to do so on my end he said he'd submit a form to have it taken off by Barnes and Noble. He said I should wait a few days and then call them back if it doesn't disappear.

To add a few details -

-I purchased the faulty book on 1/25, before I even got the Nook, and it hasn't disappeared from my library yet. To have it show up on my Nook and refuse to leave has been frustrating to say the least.

-I can't re-download it and overwrite it because the file is faulty on their end, they've removed it for sale and are contacting the publisher.

-It's showing up in black on my Nook, not even grayed out. I've tried plugging the Nook into my pc by usb and looking in both the B&N library folder and even the my documents folder just in case, it shows up in neither.

I hope they're able to remove it on their end. It seems ridiculous to me that deleting an ebook would be this difficult. I'm still in the return window and may do it and get a Kindle instead if this can't be resolved.

Linda
Just got another eMail from CS: Archive, un-archive, download. Not working of course. In the same eMail they promised to explain, how to permanently delete, if the archive-thingy should fail.
I hope, they don't explain I have to go to my library and delete from there...
At least hiding the titles on nook works for me...
Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
mykoffee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Just got another eMail from CS: Archive, un-archive, download. Not working of course. In the same eMail they promised to explain, how to permanently delete, if the archive-thingy should fail.
I hope, they don't explain I have to go to my library and delete from there...
At least hiding the titles on nook works for me...
Their emails response to me was to tell me that they needed more info in order to look into my inquiry - the order number or the last 4 of the cc used. I feel like I'm starting at square one again, gave them the info and explained it all over again because it will probably be a different rep that reads it.

I was in B&N yesterday and explained to the CS manager there the problem I was having, as well as a CC default error I was getting. The manager was very kind and sat down with me (had my laptop there plus Nook) to try and work through these issues. He called CS on my behalf and they promised him they'd have a manager delete the book. However, it's still there so it hasn't happened yet. Surely it can't be that hard to delete a book out of a customer's library? My problem seems to be that even though I archive it, it likes to hop back into my library and therefore shows up on my Nook. It's the book that will not go

Linda
Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Their emails response to me was to tell me that they needed more info in order to look into my inquiry - the order number or the last 4 of the cc used. I feel like I'm starting at square one again, gave them the info and explained it all over again because it will probably be a different rep that reads it.

I was in B&N yesterday and explained to the CS manager there the problem I was having, as well as a CC default error I was getting. The manager was very kind and sat down with me (had my laptop there plus Nook) to try and work through these issues. He called CS on my behalf and they promised him they'd have a manager delete the book. However, it's still there so it hasn't happened yet. Surely it can't be that hard to delete a book out of a customer's library? My problem seems to be that even though I archive it, it likes to hop back into my library and therefore shows up on my Nook. It's the book that will not go

Linda
Does this book show as "archived" in your webbrowser?
That's working perfectly for me for the 3 issues I've got (1 failed book purchase, 2 failed newspaper/magazine purchases)?
Do you archive on nook or in your webbrowser? I've had the "hopping back" issue as well, when trying on nook. Via webbrowser, it sticks.
Then I can hide the archived titles. I don't like that (knowing there's something in the background. Never being sure whether I accidentally may have hidden a "good" book) and I'll keep pushing CS. But t least my nook isn't clustered with "garbage".
The "Default Credit Card Unavailable" did solve itself after some hours. But they've sent an eMail, next time to unregister and re-register nook.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
mykoffee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Does this book show as "archived" in your webbrowser?
That's working perfectly for me for the 3 issues I've got (1 failed book purchase, 2 failed newspaper/magazine purchases)?
Do you archive on nook or in your webbrowser? I've had the "hopping back" issue as well, when trying on nook. Via webbrowser, it sticks.
Then I can hide the archived titles. I don't like that (knowing there's something in the background. Never being sure whether I accidentally may have hidden a "good" book) and I'll keep pushing CS. But t least my nook isn't clustered with "garbage".
The "Default Credit Card Unavailable" did solve itself after some hours. But they've sent an eMail, next time to unregister and re-register nook.
Yes, I'm archiving it via my web browser, it will show as archived for a while and then the next day pop back up into my library, time and time again. I cannot even archive it on my Nook, it only gives me the option to download, if I select that I get an error message, I assume because I received my money back for this book and technically have no longer paid for it.

I notice they have this book back up for sale, so I assume it's been fixed, but it's at twice the price I paid. Although I'm tempted to purchase it again just so I can properly download and delete it, it seems to me CS should be able to solve this problem for me without me having to spend more money. After it failed when I purchased it from B&N and they told me their file was defective I purchased it elsewhere, and honestly it was not that good.

Linda