Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Empty tag browser

Hi - My tag browser has stopped showing any information. My tags were there, organised as they should be, but have disappeared. Have I changed something unawares? I have the latest upgrade (0.7.10) loaded, but the info has been missing since at least before the last upgrade.

My cover browser doesn't appear to be working, nor when I click near the bottom of the screen does it open my browser window. I don't use these facilities very often though, it is the tag browser I really miss.

Any help would be gratefully received. Rachel
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Hi, Rachel -

On the bottom right of your Calibre window, you should see three icons: an arrow, a tag and a book. Clicking on the tag icon should open your tag browser on the left side. Clicking the book icon should open your bottom cover browser (the arrow shows your cover browser on the right side).

Alternatively, you should be seeing a yellow line on the bottom, left and right-hand side of the Calibre main screen. If you hover your mouse on it, you should get the re-size icon. If you click and hold, you can drag the botton/right/left portion up/in and that will allow you to see your tags/covers/info.

If that doesn't work, then I don't know what's wrong. I just remember that one of the new versions of Calibre defaulted to not showing everything and the above is what I did to "find" things.

Hope that helped.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

and post any output you see in the command prompt
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi Kovid

I hope I did this right - I'm not very knowledgeable. I put calibre-debug -g in the command prompt and the following came up:

link hasn't been detected!
Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.

I did notice that it returned Calibre to version 0.6.16 with the tag browser and cover browser working. I reinstalled 0.7.10 - choosing to run the repair programme offered, and ended up with the situation I was in when I first emailed you. I have rerun the command prompt and now have 0.6.16 loaded again.

I hadn't realised when I emailed before that there is also something funny going on with the recognition of my device. Although, when my device was connected I could see in the library window which books are loaded on it, when I tried to send a new book I had a message that no device was connected. I was able to send a book to my device using the save to disk button.

I hope this extra information is helpful.

Thank you

Rachel
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Rachel
Zealot

Sorry - me again

I left the command prompt window open while doing the above and while testing out whether I could send a book to my device using 0.6.16 and now have this additional information, if it is any help:

Job: 1 Get device information finished
No details available.
Job: 2 Get list of books on device finished
No details available.
Job: 3 Write pdf metadata finished
Write pdf metadata
<<
/ID [ <57E1FDB80C375CB0807B5338DAC7A79D> <02984161FC7DF749A851004A0B6C27
35> ]
/Info 671 0 R
/Root 673 0 R
/Size 672
>>DEBUG: Size=672
DEBUG: Reading numbers: 672 9
DEBUG: Reading numbers: 0 672
DEBUG: Reading XRef Section: 0 with 672 Objects.
DEBUG: Reading XRef Section: 672 with 9 Objects.

Job: 3 Write pdf metadata finished
Write pdf metadata
<<
/ID [ <57E1FDB80C375CB0807B5338DAC7A79D> <02984161FC7DF749A851004A0B6C27
35> ]
/Info 671 0 R
/Root 673 0 R
/Size 672
>>DEBUG: Size=672
DEBUG: Reading XRef Section: 672 with 9 Objects.

Job: 4 Upload 1 books to device:THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE finished
No details available.
Job: 5 Send metadata to device finished
No details available.

Rachel
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need ot do the following:

uninstall calibre

delete

c:\Program Files\calibre

c:|Program Files\calibre2

if they exists and then re-install 0.7.10
Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Rachel
Zealot

Thank you

OK, I've done that, but I'm afraid the position is the same - I still have nothing in my tag browser and the cover browser doesn't work.

I have Calibre loaded on two different computers and the situation is the same with both. I have uninstalled and redownloaded Calibre on both machines with the same result.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you

Rachel
Old 07-25-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Rachel
Zealot

Hi

I uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre again today, but still can't see my tags in the browser. I find it interesting that this is the same on my netbook (I have uninstalled and reinstalled there as well) as on my laptop.

I have been moving columns and created a new column - but I have replicated this on both machines. However, could this be the cause of my problems?

Is there anything else I can try to resurrect my browser?

Thank you
Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Can you post a screen shot showing the blank tag browser, just to be sure we are on the same page.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Rachel
Zealot

I've attached a picture below. Sorry you can't see from this, that I do have tags for each book, with the book details on the right, it's not possible to see all the columns.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre - E-book management.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	55703  
Old 07-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

when you uninstalled did you uninstall both 0.6.16 and 0.7.x?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Rachel
Zealot

I don't think I still have 0.6.16 because I updated it using the installer. When I look at my list of programs I can't see Calibre at all.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There wasa change of installer in 0.6.17 so if you are upgrading from before that you have to uninstall the old one first. That was why I asked you to delete c:\Program Files\calibre. If you installed 0.6.16 elsewhere, you will have to find and delete that as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
Rachel
Zealot

I definitely deleted c:\program files\Calibre and c:\program files\Calibre2. I've done that each time I uninstalled. I'm not sure where else to look? Currently I only have c:\program files\Calibre2.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

do you recall where you installed 0.6.16 previously?

Tags
tag browser