Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
druzyek
druzyek began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Newbie questions

Hi!
I just got a nook a few days ago and I really like it. I have a few basic questions though.

1. Why can I look up words and change the font when using ePub format books but not PDF?

2. Does the feature that shows the book covers on the touchscreen not work with books you transfered from your computer instead of buying them from B&N?

3. Any suggestions for a durable cover alternative? I am in South Korea at the moment and I don't see being able to have one from B&N shipped here (high shipping costs and tarifs).

EDIT 4. Is there any way to change the time? My clock shows the right hours but is a few minutes off.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by druzyek; 06-11-2010 at 03:16 AM.
druzyek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by druzyek View Post
Hi!
I just got a nook a few days ago and I really like it. I have a few basic questions though.

1. Why can I look up words and change the font when using ePub format books but not PDF?

2. Does the feature that shows the book covers on the touchscreen not work with books you transfered from your computer instead of buying them from B&N?

3. Any suggestions for a durable cover alternative? I am in South Korea at the moment and I don't see being able to have one from B&N shipped here (high shipping costs and tarifs).

EDIT 4. Is there any way to change the time? My clock shows the right hours but is a few minutes off.
Thanks in advance!
1. The PDF format was developed to always look the same on every system. Everything is fixed, and not meant to be changed. This is the reason most PDF files (created for a larger screen) look bad on a 6 inch reader.

2. "Coverflow" does indeed only work with books in your B&N library. If you use Calibre to put your other books on the Nook, it will create a picture of the cover that is shown on the touchscreen.

4. My clock is also some 5 minutes fast. As yet I have found no way to force the Nook to synchronize the time again with my wifi network.
I hope that in the next firmware it will be possible to adjust the time.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
druzyek

Thanks for your reply.

1. That makes sense. Do you know why, though, you can't use the dictionary with PDFs?

2. Do you mean Calibre can make your other books appear in the B&N library? I will have to try it out. I haven't been able to register yet since I have no wifi/3G connection in South Korea.

Last edited by druzyek; 06-11-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Druzyek. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

1. That makes sense. Do you know why, though, you can't use the dictionary with PDFs?

2. Do you mean Calibre can make your other books appear in the B&N library? I will have to try it out. I haven't been able to register yet since I have no wifi/3G connection in South Korea.
1. The Nook manual just says that this is not possible.

2. Calibre creates a small jpg picture of the cover, and puts this in the my documents folder together with the book. When you open the book the picture is shown on the touch screen. There is no "cover flow".

As for registering. You can use the Wifi of your home network. If you have no Wifi at home upgrade your router or buy a Wifi access point. Those are really cheap these days.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
druzyek

@geertm: lol. I will buy a wireless router just so that I can register my nook. I guess it does have the advantage of letting me access wifi from absolutely anywhere in my one room efficiency apartment as well.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
@geertm: lol. I will buy a wireless router just so that I can register my nook. I guess it does have the advantage of letting me access wifi from absolutely anywhere in my one room efficiency apartment as well.
Well I did .. well not a router but I purchased a wireless access point, just so I could register. Now I use the access point all the time, for my iphone and for my laptop as well as for the nook.

I only paid $70 for the access point, but I believe I'm getting value for money out of it :-)
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote