Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
A more updated Review of the Nook

I give Kudos to Cnet, they did two reviews of the Nook. The first back when it came out and gave credit where it was due but displayed its bugs etc. But did point out that they were firmware fixable.

now since the the upgrades came along Cnet went back and reviewed it again.

It's very very fair.

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...?tag=mncol;lst

Last edited by boswd; 06-10-2010 at 10:41 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I can't argue with that review after putting in many hours on the nook now. I don't agree that the race with Kindle is a toss up though. When I was going through my options for ebook readers the Kindle was dead last and I would have bought a Sony reader long before the Kindle. The nook has one major feature that puts it far ahead of the Kindle. Epub support. Until the Kindle drops mobipocket I will have zero interest in one. It is also much easier to put your DRM epub and eReader files bought from other stores on the nook. With the Kindle you have to strip the DRM and convert the files.

The only issue I really have with the nook is battery life. It sucks for an eink device, but I still get 4 days on a battery and that is plenty in almost all cases. I couldn't go somewhere for a week though without bringing a charger along. I think I am happy though with the touchscreen battery life trade off over the hideous look of the Kindle.

Last edited by aagstn; 06-10-2010 at 02:07 PM.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I can't argue with that review after putting in many hours on the nook now. I don't agree that the race with Kindle is a toss up though. When I was going through my options for ebook readers the Kindle was dead last and I would have bought a Sony reader long before the Kindle. The nook has one major feature that puts it far ahead of the Kindle. Epub support. Until the Kindle drops mobipocket I will have zero interest in one. It is also much easier to put your DRM epub and eReader files bought from other stores on the nook. With the Kindle you have to strip the DRM and convert the files.

The only issue I really have with the nook is battery life. It sucks for an eink device, but I still get 4 days on a battery and that is plenty in almost all cases. I couldn't go somewhere for a week though without bringing a charger along. I think I am happy though with the touchscreen battery life trade off over the hideous look of the Kindle.

I agree 100% with what you wrote, except I seem to have a little better luck in the battery department. but that is only when I'm locked in airplane mode and only use the LCD screen when I get out of sleep and when I put it back to sleep. When I'm playing around etc with the navigation through newspapers, shopping etct I get about 3 to a maybe 4 but that does not bother me at all. I have no problems charging it when I not using, I have to charge all my other gadgets in much less time.

As far the Kindle vs the Nook, ohh man I could not agree anymore. I can't believe I was "this" close to ordering one. To me not only e-Pub but the navigation is archiac, the looks etc. But I think most Prof. reviewers are willing to put anyone ahead of the Kindle, at least not yet, it simply because they have established themselves as the Industry Leader, no one comes close to them in name recognition, and Sony has been at this a lot longer. And to Kindle Marketing department credit, they put e-book readers on the map and made them a mainstream product. Kindle is popular and has showed staying power. The Prof aren't going to knock them off the Mountain for a gadget that hasn't been out for even year at least not yet. but If the Barnes and Noble keeps up this pace then they do have the ability to get the nod as the overall better e-reader, even though I think it IS right now.

But most like what they see with and will keep an eye on the Nook. It's improvements its made in such a short time impressive and their product is solid. It is the best look and nicest navigation. But man do they need to run some actual commercials. They have one that run very sparsly and they do a great job on in store guerilla marketing but have a long long way to go to have the name recognition that Kindle does.

I hope they do . The more people who are seeing the Nook are really really likeing it.

Its a great device

Last edited by boswd; 06-10-2010 at 11:19 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote