Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Holy Cow! ... Literally!

I finally saw a Nook for the first time at my local B&N. When I picked it up I almost dropped it. I'm spoiled by PDAs and my jetBook. This thing weighs a ... a pound! I played with the user interface, which seems reasonable, but overdone. Needless to say, I couldn't get over the size and weight of the thing. Is the Kindle of a similar heft? I'll have to see when they come to Target. Right now, I'm patting myself on the back for the jetBook purchase. (Ow, ow, shoulder!)

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Um... the average hard cover book weighs 12 ounces, the nook weighs 12.1 ounces.

Maybe you should get a couple small hand weights and try some curls or presses? Wait, I'm not sure if they make half pound weights... try emptying half the water out of a 16oz bottle of water and try that.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I finally saw a Nook for the first time at my local B&N. When I picked it up I almost dropped it. I'm spoiled by PDAs and my jetBook. This thing weighs a ... a pound! I played with the user interface, which seems reasonable, but overdone. Needless to say, I couldn't get over the size and weight of the thing. Is the Kindle of a similar heft? I'll have to see when they come to Target. Right now, I'm patting myself on the back for the jetBook purchase. (Ow, ow, shoulder!)

Regards,
Jack Tingle

if the nook is heavy then you have other issues to worry about. This thing is very light.

People actually Troll e-book readers? Seriously?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Actually the size of the Nook was the one factor other than price that had me passing time and again on it. I like the size of the Jetbook and Sony 300 better. I found the weight a touch more than I liked, but it was the dimensions that took me the longest to adjust to. I would hold it by the bottom and feel like it was going to topple out of my hands. I just had to get comfortable holding it two handed instead of one handed like the Jetbook. It took a bit, but thankfully I got to borrow one from a friend and once I adjusted to it I definitely loved the Nook.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I haven't picked up the nook, but I do understand the question. When I picked up my Kindle I was surprised by its heft. Geez, folks its not that I (or J. Tingle) are saying its heavy, just that it is not as light as we expected.

My opinion is that there are two factors that increase its (perceived) weight. First, it is a bit heavier. The metal back does add some weight to it.

Secondly, Tingle compares it to a PDA or jetbook. Consider how you hold a PDA. You grasp the entire thing with one hand. My Kindle is too large to hold that way. It has a larger screen plus a keyboard. As a result, you hold it by "pinching" the bezel. You have a grip on the edge of the thing. Although your fingers project out underneath it, it doesn't just rest in your hand. It's simple physics. With some of the weight outside the surface of you hand it makes the pressure on your grip even higher.

Of course, I am quite comfortable with the weight and use of my Kindle. However, I do think its appropriate to note that both its actual and perceived weight are higher than I expected. And with the Kindle's metal back and larger surface area (keyboard) it also feels heavier than my Bookeen that has a similar screen size.

Anyway, I'm not sure how these comments apply to the nook, but I do believe that a nook will feel heavier than a PDA (and probably heavier than a 5" jetbook that doesn't have a secondary screen).
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
At 12.1 oz, the Nook is the heaviest 6" EInk device in the E-book Reader Matrix. There are many at about 10 oz, but the lightest are 6-7 oz and the 5" EInk devices range from 5 to 8 oz.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
At 12.1 oz, the Nook is the heaviest 6" EInk device in the E-book Reader Matrix. There are many at about 10 oz, but the lightest are 6-7 oz and the 5" EInk devices range from 5 to 8 oz.
I just don't see the issue. We're talking ounces not pounds. Like I said, it's the same weight as a book. Weight isn't one of the things I even considered when looking for an ereader. If it was, I would have stuck with my T/X.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Look, people just want to find fault no matter what!

World shattering news a 6" ebook reader with a 2nd LCD screen on the bottom and with wi-fi and 3g weights more than a 5 inch ebook reader... I'm surprised who would have believed that!.

come on folks we are talking about a few grams here or there and that is what you judge your ereader on.. I'm not going to buy that glass of coke, someone has put a straw in it ..it's too heavy now...
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Yeah, I'm wishing that I had waited a year before picking up a new ereader. I ended up buying a Sony PRS-505 from B&N(lulz %$^&#^%#^&!!!) because I felt that the screen degradation with the touch film just wasn't worth it at the time, and THEN B&N popup with the nook about 7m later. (Kind of annoying since ebook devices had, basically, stagnated for for something like 6 or 7y.)

Then I heard of Spring Design's Alex, but I HAD been expecting it to come out at a competitive price, and now just laugh $400 for the Alex, right...

So it looks like all of you people who got the Nook made the right choice, although I'm really interested in that new e-ink only from Asus. Did you see how responsive the screen was from that E3 video? Although from what I can tell ATM it seems that a rooted Nook is MUCH more flexible.

(I still have grave reservations about the Sony. Non-easily replaceable batteries just aren't for me(which is why I'll also NEVER buy an Apple mobile product/notebook) as I'll like use the thing until I kill it now, which is why I was so hot to pick up a new reader last year as I had cracked the screen on my trusty Palm IIIx, my eBookman has the bad backup cap so it loses all content on batt change and I never bothered to pickup an MMC card for it, and my REB (RCA/Gemstar) died a few years ago so I was more or less SOL for a reader ATTM.)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Where is the "literal" Holy Cow involved in all this?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
come on folks we are talking about a few grams here or there and that is what you judge your ereader on.. I'm not going to buy that glass of coke, someone has put a straw in it ..it's too heavy now...
Again I think the dimensions of the nook or Kindle for that matter are a bigger factor than the weight. When you move up from smaller, one handed devices it is an adjustment. I would imagine using the iPad is an even bigger issue since it is so much bigger and heavier. I can't even imagine getting used to that for long reading sessions, but I'm sure in time I could. You just have to change the way you are used to holding a book reader.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Where is the "literal" Holy Cow involved in all this?
xkcd: Literally

pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
xkcd: Literally
I think he meant that the Nook was heavy, like a cow. But, wait, isn't that a metaphor
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #14
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I was indeed speaking of the weight. It was meant semi-humorously, so the xkcd reference is apt.

A couple of the earlier posters may be right though, it may be the balance more than the weight that surprised me. I seldom use two hands on a reading device, electronic or paper[1], and the Nook seemed to need two hands. I also disliked needing two hands to manipulate the menus. On either PDAs or the jetBook, you can do almost anything with one hand. The most common exception is deleting a file, which pretty much requires two hands, either for a stylus, or for some coordinated button pushing.

Regards,
Jack Tingle

[1] Paper books sometimes allow one-handed page turning. Sometimes not.
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Here is how I hold my KooNooK on the train.

I lay my Nook on my palm/wrist with my four fingers (no thumb) wrapped and placed on the page up/down frame. It is very sturdy and comfortable to hold and press page up/down.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote