Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #31
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
Thats like why climb Mt. Everest. Because it is there. lol I have so far resisted the very strong pull of the PRS 900, but stood on line like an idiot for the iPad. Still want the PRS 900. Must be strong...
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #32
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Mine was a gift, and when I was starting using it, my boy discovered again reading, thanks to it. So, to keep him reading but keep my own device, I bought one for him, but the maintenance of the two is made by me. And, I have to admit that, after buying the pocketbook for him, I wanted one for me... it's much more complete than my "old" device. So I have two for me, and the one of my boy.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #33
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
After I broke my first Irex DR800SG, and while I was waiting for a replacement (bought a new DR800), I browsed the forums and fell in love with the simplicity, size, "hackability" and portability of the Pocketbook 360.

So, now I have one and I love it!

I'm just too nervous about lugging around the big Irex in my backpack any more. This is one reader that's going to stay at home whilst the little one (with it's awesome protective cover) goes out and about with me.

Happy reading!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #34
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Thanks to to the Agency Pricing making it difficult to buy the books I want for my iPhone, I recently bought a used PRS-700. I still have a small TBR pile on the iPhone, but I've barely used it since I got the 700.

I'm thrilled to be using my library's ebook system again -worth the price of the 700. I love the PRS-700 at night, but I'm already debating buying a Kobo, PocketBook 360 or BeBook Neo for daytime reading. The 700's daylight glare is a bit annoying.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #35
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
While I usually put a lot of thought and research into buying any new e-device, the fact of the matter is that I ended up with a K2 without really noticing there were other e-readers out there. (I know, the horror!) I like to think I would've bought it anyway, but no guarantees. I know had I been looking recently, rather than a year ago, it probably would've been a tossup between the Nook and the Sony--one thing I wish the Kindle had was EPUB support.

But once I had the Kindle, I figured I was set. And I was, for over a year. Couldn't see the need for another e-ink reader, really couldn't see the need for using my iPhone as one--after all, the Kindle goes everywhere with me, and ewww....backlit screen? No!

Except that one night, I finally downloaded the Kindle app for the iPhone and realized that I preferred reading the white text on black background on the backlit screen over reading the Kindle with a book light. Mostly. Then the dispute between Penguin and Amazon came up, and I figured if nothing else, I could read BN books on the iPhone if I had to until those two quit with their stupid little pissing match. Within a month, I found there were times that I just didn't feel like packing the Kindle along EVERY time I left the house...after all, the iPhone would sync to my last spot read and it was a lot smaller.

A few weeks ago, DH brought home an iPad. I swore up and down no one would ever read on that thing. After a frustrating week where I couldn't get the damn thing out of his hands long enough to try it for myself, I caved and bought my own. I figured the only things I'd ever read on it were PDFs, which frankly suck on the K2. It now has Goodreader, Kindle, and the new BN iPad optimized app on it, and all three are in use. (iBooks is on there too, but I'm not impressed) My poor Kindle hasn't needed recharging since. My father in law asked the other day if I was keeping it, and for a moment, I thought about what it might fetch on Craigslist. Oh, the guilt....!

So technically, I suppose I'm now a three reader owner. But it was an accident, I swear. I really didn't think I'd ever use the iPad to READ.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #36
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Because I love gadgets and can never have too many books available at any time I feel for a read...it's one of my (few) vices and does not harm anybody!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #37
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Uh...lack of impulse control?

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #38
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I have multiple eReaders because I have way too much "Will" power and not enough "Won't" power when I see a gadget I want.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #39
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I have multiple eReaders because I have way too much "Will" power and not enough "Won't" power when I see a gadget I want.
Ouch! Man - that hit me a bit too close to home.

In other words - EXACTLY!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #40
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
First I bought an Ipod touch, loaded stanza an loved it. I then whished it to have a larger screen. When the Ipad came out I was sold. Last week I went on a bussines trip to the US. I got the Ipad, but also had to buy a Sony 300 for my wife (so she would let me buy my toy). Now she uses the Ipad to read the news when I'm at work and I grab de sony for a quick read when she is not using it. With good light the sony is great and easy to hold, but I do most of my reading in the afternoon or at night when my wife is asleep, then the Ipad is unbeatable (she barely tolerates the clock light).
So what I think is that there is not a perfect reader yet. With the two I can have the best of all worlds.
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #41
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Just because of different sizes and features (PRS-505 and PRS-900).
Still waiting for a good 10inch or greater reader ; flexible would be nice
Skiff or something similiar would buy me a third reader
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #42
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Well a lot of people have one reader and then another device listed that's an iPod Touch/iPhone or a PDA or other smart phone etc.

So those aren't really owning 2 readers as they probably didn't buy those primarily as readers--but just use them on the go as they're always with them and they don't have to carry around their e-reader.

Some have a portable 5-6" reader and a bigger screen reader like a DX etc. which makes sense.

I do get a little baffled by people who own 2 or more 5-6" readers though, but to each their own. Though I bet some are listing both their device and their spouse's/significant other's device that they both use.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #43
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile View Post
I've seen so many people here in mobileread who have more than two ebook readers.

Now, I have iriver Story and I don't feel any incomfortable with it.
I am just curious that why you guys have more than two readers. Is the reason that you are not satisfied with your previous one and then buy new one???
First of all, the very first week with a new gadget always is the most entertaining one.
I've got my iPad on Thursday last week and haven't even touched any of my other readers since then. (Won't last very long though, tomorrow I'll finish a book on PocketBook 360).
Second, each reader has different capabilities. I'll take PocketBook 360 with me to the beach. I'll put it in a bag and turn pages via wrist-turn-mode. I couldn't do that with any of the bigger readers.
In the evening, when on the couch, I prefer a bigger screen than PocketBook 360's 5". I'll comfortably read on iRex 800.
Another differentiator are file formats. Of course you can convert, but often the result is less than acceptable. So I've got my favorite(s) for ePUBS or PDFs.
And I've got my favorites, depending on the shop I'm purchasing my books. When regional restrictions bother me too much, I shop from Amazon - and then I tend to use Kindle natively for the AZW files.

In general, the perfect combo in my opinion would be:
A 5" reader for mobility.
A bigger (ca. 8") reader for "professional documents" (PDFs more or less in their original size and layout).
A multi-purpose unit (i. e. tablet, UMPC, netbook, ...) for browsing the web, maybe watching a movie or playing some games.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #44
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In general, the perfect combo in my opinion would be:
A 5" reader for mobility.
A bigger (ca. 8") reader for "professional documents" (PDFs more or less in their original size and layout).
A multi-purpose unit (i. e. tablet, UMPC, netbook, ...) for browsing the web, maybe watching a movie or playing some games.
That's close to what I'll likely end up with.

Though I'd probably stick with my 6" Kindle for novels. And I'd just use whatever tablet I end up with for my academic PDF reading etc. It's possible I'd ditch the e-reader if I'm fine reading novels on the tablet as well.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:42 PM   #45
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Though I bet some are listing both their device and their spouse's/significant other's device that they both use.
Damn right I am; I paid for them all, I own them all - just don't tell my wife I said that...

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote