Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
The Register on hacking the Sony Reader

It's all based on the work done by members here.

Quote:
It’s [the Sony Reader] also comparatively easy to tweak and hack, thanks to the way it’s designed. The core operating system is MontaVista Linux, and though the speed of response of the e-ink screen and the lack of a full keyboard means that you can’t really use it as a general purpose computer, there is a fair bit that you can do with it.
How to hack a Sony Reader (The Register)

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-11-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: frontpage
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Cool
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
igorsk, you're famous !! did you see your name on that big photo of your flasher ? and the screen shot of your post ? i see calibre got some good press too.

it's great to see an article talking about all the ressources available here and the amazing community dev support. thanks very much for the link, MOzza !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
nwhitfield
Enthusiast
nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwhitfield has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I hope people liked the article; I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the hard work of the people here. I hope I haven't made any errors in there; if I have, they are entirely mine.

I've been reading here for a while, despite my relatively recent registration date, and suggested to the guys at The Register it was just the sort of thing that their readers would like to find out about.

Nigel.
nwhitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi nigel ! welcome to mobileread ! it's great you've joined us. i really liked your article ; i agree, the possibilities we have to personalise our devices thanks to the hard work and technical skills of our members are amazing and i'm constantly in awe of the things they manage to figure out. it's really useful information to get out to the reading public. thanks for commenting, i hope we'll see you participating more, now that you've registered and all.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 08-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Love the creativity!!

Dear All:

I love the creativity of MobileRead Forum.

Don't mean to at all rain on the parade... but please caution people that if they take apart a device that is still on warranty (no matter what brand) they likely are going to lose thier warranty.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
...if they take apart a device that is still on warranty ...
Robert, you do realize that 'Hack' doesn't imply hacksaw, right?

I just reviewed the article and didn't see a single mention of taking the device apart. It was about using additional software onboard and offboard the device. I only saw 6 pages, was there more where they disassembled the device?
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Robert, this isn't necessary true, as long as you are working on the software only. Some companies even support their customers in enhancing the software of a product, in particular if the product is Linux powered.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
igorsk, you're famous !! did you see your name on that big photo of your flasher ? !
One could so easily take that the wrong way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhitfield View Post
I hope people liked the article; I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the hard work of the people here. I hope I haven't made any errors in there; if I have, they are entirely mine.

I've been reading here for a while, despite my relatively recent registration date, and suggested to the guys at The Register it was just the sort of thing that their readers would like to find out about.

Nigel.
Welcome to MR

And I'd've thought it'd be right up many El Reg readers streets (although I'm biased a tad, reading both here & there)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
One could so easily take that the wrong way...