Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Installing fonts, exporting annotations

I need to replace my PocketBook 302. Having read through numerous threads, it appears that Onyx has as much trouble putting together a decent firmware as PocketBook does - but Onyx has 9.7 Pearl screens, so I'm strongly leaning towards the M9x series. I have no qualms removing the speaker to alleviate the wacom sensitivity issue. I can probably wait until the M92 is available in .us, but I may need a device sooner. I only use EPUB files.

Is fbreader available for this platform? If not, how many options do I have available for adjusting line height, hyphenation, etc of EPUBs?

Can I install my own fonts? Can I select font size?

What filesystem does the unit use for it's OS and storage? Can I create my own folder structure and copy books directly to the device without using proprietary software? Does the application support symlinks, so books that are in multiple categories need only be copied once? Ideally, I could adapt the script I wrote for my 302 with updated paths.

I saw some screencaps of an sqlite database, that was from the M90? What format are the scribbles saved in? Are the annotations, scribbles, bookmarks, etc sanely named and located so retrieving them from my laptop can be scripted? If I can automate backups, I don't mind resetting the device every so often.

I believe I read somewhere that the device doesn't have a receptacle to store the stylus - is this true? Has anyone determined if any aftermarket covers are a good fit for the device?

Thanks!

Last edited by brainycat; 10-11-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: typo
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I need to replace my PocketBook 302. Having read through numerous threads, it appears that Onyx has as much trouble putting together a decent firmware as PocketBook does - but Onyx has 9.7 Pearl screens, so I'm strongly leaning towards the M9x series. I have no qualms removing the speaker to alleviate the wacom sensitivity issue. I can probably wait until the M92 is available in .us, but I may need a device sooner. I only use EPUB files.

Is fbreader available for this platform? If not, how many options do I have available for adjusting line height, hyphenation, etc of EPUBs?

Can I install my own fonts? Can I select font size?

What filesystem does the unit use for it's OS and storage? Can I create my own folder structure and copy books directly to the device without using proprietary software? Does the application support symlinks, so books that are in multiple categories need only be copied once? Ideally, I could adapt the script I wrote for my 302 with updated paths.

I saw some screencaps of an sqlite database, that was from the M90? What format are the scribbles saved in? Are the annotations, scribbles, bookmarks, etc sanely named and located so retrieving them from my laptop can be scripted? If I can automate backups, I don't mind resetting the device every so often.

I believe I read somewhere that the device doesn't have a receptacle to store the stylus - is this true? Has anyone determined if any aftermarket covers are a good fit for the device?

Thanks!
you probably saw my screencaps. Those were intended to instruct whoever wanted to try it how to open that file.
My assumption that that is sqllite file was based on a hex dump somebody posted here. That hex started with sqllite

Here is the thread that made me ask for those details

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=373

Unfortunately nobody cooperated...

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 10-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the info. After some further research, I've decided to settle for 6" - I'm going to root a Nook Touch. It costs a fraction of what I am willing to pay, I can buy one locally, and it supports Android apps like fbreader. While I'd really like the extra screen size, I'm also going to really like the portability of the smaller device.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
Thanks for the info. After some further research, I've decided to settle for 6" - I'm going to root a Nook Touch. It costs a fraction of what I am willing to pay, I can buy one locally, and it supports Android apps like fbreader. While I'd really like the extra screen size, I'm also going to really like the portability of the smaller device.
If 10' is not a must definitely go with that!
I have a Nook Touch too and I also have a Asus eee Note.
Touch is ideal for reading documents where "Reflow" works
PDF is realy bad on Touch, even with ezPDF Reader.
It still works if you prepare the doc with a PDF editor. (cutting margins, changing the orientation and many other things)
Good thing with Touch is that is Android and you can root it and do what you want with it

Exporting annotations works as described in that link!

I also got my hands on a Pocket Entourage Edge. That one runs Android too and I must say it is a pretty cool thing. I will probably get back when I understand more about exporting comments from that thing.

PEE sure does more than Nook Touch but it is heavier and bulkier. Tocuh is very light and very manoeuvrable to say so. Well protected by a rubber back side, it is ideal when you are away! Go for it.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!

Good points, sounds like you have a bundle of great toys

I want a reader for reading epubs and possibly some RSS content. I have a DroidX that I use for connectivity and socializing, and I don't see any reason to try and duplicate those functions on another device - especially a 16greyscale/slow refresh device I also have a laptop where I do all my 'real' computing. I see the appeal of tablets but for me, I'd think they be as bulky and inconvenient as a laptop with the same functionality of my PDA.

It's great that there's so many devices to choose from though. The Touch is so cheap, even if they release a 9.7" in the next couple of months I won't feel bad about this investment.
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #6
Psy-Q
Psy-Q began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
I'd also be interested in how to install custom fonts on the M91S. I have one and tried to save them to a "fonts" directory on the SD card root, but that doesn't do anything.

I also don't see the system partitions of the device and can't mount them -- are the system partitions even exported through USB? I can only mount a directory called "boox" and one called "install", plus the SD card contents.
Psy-Q is offline   Reply With Quote