Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #10096
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A salomonian decision.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #10097
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since we are all readers, can you tell me what the following words mean?

a) lycanthropy
b) maenad
c) fascicle
d) desideratum
e) lenity
f) crapulous
g) autochton
h) minaudière
i) iatrogenic
j) chulo
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #10098
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Since we are all readers, can you tell me what the following words mean?

a) lycanthropy
b) maenad
c) fascicle
d) desideratum
e) lenity
f) crapulous
g) autochton
h) minaudière
i) iatrogenic
j) chulo

a) to do with werewolves
b) vicious female nymphs that would tear men to pieces and eat them
c) simplistic?

i) illness caused by medical treatment
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #10099
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
c) a bundle of stuff
d) something that's desired
e) it's a synonym of leniency?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #10100
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
a) to do with werewolves
b) vicious female nymphs that would tear men to pieces and eat them
c) simplistic?

i) illness caused by medical treatment
a) is kind of close, but I'd like it a tad more specific
b) I will give you a point for that, but I don't think a maenad has to eat a man to be called a maenad, but perhaps you are thinking of "man eater", which in my book is something different
c) I'm afraid that one is off
i) is one point

So two points and a possibility for a third by returning a) with a little more specificity.
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #10101
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
c) a bundle of stuff
d) something that's desired
e) it's a synonym of leniency?
Sorry, wrong on all accounts.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #10102
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
a) is kind of close, but I'd like it a tad more specific
b) I will give you a point for that, but I don't think a maenad has to eat a man to be called a maenad, but perhaps you are thinking of "man eater", which in my book is something different
c) I'm afraid that one is off
i) is one point

So two points and a possibility for a third by returning a) with a little more specificity.
a) hmm... The belief that madness has to do with the phases of the moon?
b) No, I wasn't thinking of man eater. They certainly were said to tear people apart. Perhaps I imagined the eating bit.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #10103
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Is g a self-appointed king/ruler?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #10104
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I see I mis-read c!

Is c a copy of something?
Old 11-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #10105
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I see I mis-read c!

Is c a copy of something?
No. It's what I said.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #10106
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
No. It's what I said.
Kumabjorn doesn't agree. I suspect that Kumabjorn is thinking of a more book-related meaning. I think you should have a point though!

I think you got d) too.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #10107
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Kumabjorn doesn't agree. I suspect that Kumabjorn is thinking of a more book-related meaning. I think you should have a point though!

I think you got d) too.
I just looked them up in case I am going mad, and I think that they're all correct. I think I'll duck out of this quiz as I must have misunderstood something.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #10108
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Desideratum is something desired for a reason, it is the reason I wanted included.
Yes, fascicle is related to books.
Lenity does share a root with leniency.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #10109
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I checked and I now see that fascicle has meanings outside its relation to books. Botanical and anatomical meanings, I wasn't aware of. The perils of non-native speakers asking questions about English.
Two points to Bilbo1967, and my apologies. In my mind fascicle relates to the original way books where published, first as installments in magazines called a fascicle, then put together to a book. That is how authors made money back in the day. Talking about the future of publishing (now called serialization) I thought it a good word to know.
Desideratum is something desired because it is lacking, not because it happens to exist. At least according to my dictionary. It was that distinction I was after. That is one reason I love the English language, your terminology is minutely exact, although actual usage may vary.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #10110
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:

j) chulo
j) This is used around here, but different in other areas or usage. A hot looking guy (in Mexican Spanish). Although, context sometimes make it mean something else.

EDIT: did you mean "cholo" as that is different. Either not full decent (not full Spanish/Mexican) or just a gang member, etc., depending on area of use and context.

Last edited by dreams; 11-18-2012 at 03:49 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote