Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #376
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
A little off topic question:

I ordered the PW2 via my German Amazon Account. However, I would like to use it with my US account (I have two accounts). It should be pre-registered for the German Account then.

I guess it should be possible to register the kindle to another account right?

I man I could also give it to someone as a present.

Thanks
You can de-register it as you would if you were selling it to someone else. Then register it under the other account. You could also call Amazon and tell them you forgot to check the box option that designated the order as a gift.

AFAIK, it can only be registered to one account at a time though.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #377
oecherprinte
Zealot
oecherprinte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You could also call Amazon and tell them you forgot to check the box option that designated the order as a gift.
Thanks. I just changed my order and flagged the kindle as a gift. So I guess it won't be registered to any account.
oecherprinte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #378
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post

I guess it should be possible to register the kindle to another account right?
Yes. You will need to de-register it from the original account, first.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #379
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc2 View Post
I am about 30 seconds away from pre-ordering the new PW. I'm considering trading in my K3 (Kindle Keyboard I guess it's called now) and my 1st Gen Fire for credit towards a new PW. Has anyone used the Amazon Trade-In program?
Why would you do that???

I have just sent back the KPW (2012 model) that Amazon sent me after putting it next to a "basic" Kindle and my own Kindle Keyboard, because the contrast was not as good as that of my Kindle Keyboard (even with the light off), and it was nowhere near as sharp as my Kindle fire for nighttime reading, with the light turned on.

Unless you absolutely can not stand the idea of having to use two devices, I would stay with what you have. For me it is clearly the better solution.

Best regards,
Andz
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #380
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

I have just sent back the KPW (2012 model) that Amazon sent me
How much did they pay you for it?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #381
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
the contrast was not as good as that of my Kindle Keyboard (even with the light off
"Even with the light off?" The contrast improves with the light ON.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #382
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
How much did they pay you for it?
xendula, normally I get you on the spot, but right now I am kinda lost.....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #383
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Xendula seems to assume that AndyZ's trading in the Paperwhite, in Amazon's Trade-In program, but I think he's sending it back because he doesn't want it.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #384
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
"Even with the light off?" The contrast improves with the light ON.
The light didn't improve the text on the three PW1s I tried out about a year ago. They had thin faded text in areas of the screen. My Kindle Touch has much better text, and that isn't saying much as the text on the KT is only so so. Amazon could have improved the FW over the year to better render text on the higher resolution screen, but at least the early PW1s were not very good.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #385
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The light didn't improve the text on the three PW1s I tried out about a year ago. They had thin faded text in areas of the screen. My Kindle Touch has much better text, and that isn't saying much as the text on the KT is only so so. Amazon could have improved the FW over the year to better render text on the higher resolution screen, but at least the early PW1s were not very good.
Yeah, I've found nothing compelling yet in the lighted readers to make me give up my K3, but there is no doubt the "improved contrast" only applies when the light is on. The light does make the background look whiter, and without it, the contrast is decidedly worse than my K3. if Andy_T was looking for better contrast with the light off, he was not going to find it!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #386
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Xendula seems to assume that AndyZ's trading in the Paperwhite, in Amazon's Trade-In program, but I think he's sending it back because he doesn't want it.
Thank you, that's exactly what I meant
Old 09-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #387
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I had just posted in the " trade-in value for your kindle" thread and forgot to be more precise.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #388
Outrager
Connoisseur
Outrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of lightOutrager is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I believe this is a new hands-on video of the Paperwhite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStSEX0D4nM
I'm assuming like all the other videos you really can't judge the color of the light because of the camera's white balance, but from what I can see it seems the light is pretty uniform and I don't notice any blotches. Anyone who has seen them on the original can probably be a better judge of that.
Also, I think it's kind of funny how the interviewer kept asking questions that the marketing guy didn't seem to want to answer. And I think he was pretty annoyed the interviewer kept touching the screen.
Outrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #389
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yes, that was a typical review done in the bright lighting of a conference hall. So I would expect that the PW2's light was turned all the way up. That is definitely not a good way to demo it when the light is designed for use in dimly lit rooms. Interesting that the marketing guy actually said that the whites are whiter and the blacks are blacker due to the new lighting technology. I would have thought the new eInk screen might have something to do with it. He never mentioned the new screen. But this is a marketing guy. I worked for several different software companies in the past and most of the marketing folks were pretty much clueless, at least beyond the basics. They rarely, if ever, understood the finer details of our products. But that's what marketing folks are, master BSers who can sell anything to anyone.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #390
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
I believe this is a new hands-on video of the Paperwhite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iStSEX0D4nM
I'm assuming like all the other videos you really can't judge the color of the light because of the camera's white balance, but from what I can see it seems the light is pretty uniform and I don't notice any blotches. Anyone who has seen them on the original can probably be a better judge of that.
Also, I think it's kind of funny how the interviewer kept asking questions that the marketing guy didn't seem to want to answer. And I think he was pretty annoyed the interviewer kept touching the screen.
Thanks for this. It looks pretty good from as much as you can tell in a video. I had to laugh when the rep mentioned that it has an "experimental browser" and the guy replied with - it's been experimental for 5 years now. lol.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote