Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Happy 200th Birthday "Pride and Prejudice"

Monday marks the 200th anniversary of the initial 1813 publication of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice":

Quote:
It has one of the most famous opening lines in literature, it turned Colin Firth into a heartthrob and it spawned a zombie spin-off. Now Pride and Prejudice has reached the venerable age of 200.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the bicentenary of Pride and Prejudice will be accompanied by a surge of Jane Austen-related events and merchandise - and articles that shamelessly hijack the novel's first sentence.

Monday's anniversary is being marked by a "readathon" of the novel at the Jane Austen Centre in Bath, which has launched an 11th-hour internet campaign to find an international star to read the first chapter.

Experts, writers and fans will read the entire novel in a 12-hour internet broadcast, which will hook up with Jane Austen societies in Australia and North America. Jane Austen societies also exist in Japan, the Netherlands and Brazil.
Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21078941
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
I'm running a Chapman edition of Pride and Prejudice at http://www.pgdp.net/c/project.php?id...detail_level=3 right now.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It is a book universally acknowledged...
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I've never read anything by Austen. Maybe one day...
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You really should read P&P - it's extremely witty.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You really should read P&P - it's extremely witty.
Just checked my Audible account and I do have it. Maybe I'll give it a go soon.

But, how much romance is in it? I don't care for romance in literature.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
I adore this book. I'm in the middle of it now.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Just checked my Audible account and I do have it. Maybe I'll give it a go soon.

But, how much romance is in it? I don't care for romance in literature.
Its basic plot is of course that of a love story, but it's not a soppy girly sort of story. I'm no fan of that kind of thing myself, and I think it's a wonderful book. It's the characters who make it such a good story: Mr Collins, the obsequious clergyman, the ghastly Mrs Bennett, and of course the seemingly appalling Mr Darcy. It's just a great book.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-25-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Its basic story is of course that of a love story, but it's not a soppy girly sort of story. I'm no fan of that kind of thing myself, and I think it's a wonderful book.
Then I'll give it a go; thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Question for anyone.

I have two Audible versions. One read by Josephine Bailey and the other by Lindsay Duncan. Which one should I listen to?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Quote:
Question for anyone.

I have two Audible versions. One read by Josephine Bailey and the other by Lindsay Duncan. Which one should I listen to?
There's a lot of personal preference there... Based on samples I'd pick the Lindsay Duncan one.
runtmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Question for anyone.

Are they both British? I strongly prefer to listen to British books read by Britons, and American books read by Americans.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtmms View Post
There's a lot of personal preference there... Based on samples I'd pick the Lindsay Duncan one.
Quote:
Are they both British? I strongly prefer to listen to British books read by Britons, and American books read by Americans.
They're both Brits. Time to sample each one.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Monday marks the 200th anniversary of the initial 1813 publication of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice":
Quote:
Experts, writers and fans will read the entire novel in a 12-hour internet broadcast, which will hook up with Jane Austen societies in Australia and North America.
Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21078941
Harry, do you have by chance a link to this internet broadcast?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't. I'd be interested in it myself.