Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Would it be possible to hack a Canadian Kindle 2 to enable web browsing?

On my Kindle 2(an International version for Canada) you can access wikipedia but not other web sites. Wikipedia is accessed through the web browser.

Since the web browser is on my Kindle 2 and is somewhat functional then would it be possible to create a hack that would not block access to the web for sites other than wikipedia?

Presumably there is some software that is blocking access to other web sites and this could be altered to no longer do so, could it not?

Or would the blocking be done on the network end via the wireless network provider?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Yes, it seems like it is possible to work around the blocks. However I advice against doing it, since it may end in Amazon shutting down the service for you and possibly others.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
I agree that one should not abuse this service but if you used it sparingly then I don't see it being a problem. After all, we can use Wikipedia to our hearts content and what is the difference downloading bytes via wikipeida vs another use, such as downloading books from Project Gutenberg or browsing Google news - primarily text based services that aren't pulling down tons of data.

That being said, where would I find more info on this? There was a link posted to a Chinese web forum, but since my Mandarin is weak I could not figure out what I was looking for.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
sh0
sh0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Any updates on this? As a new Kindle recipient, I'd also love to know how to get around this block, only really for email and twitter, both of which apparently work very well in the US.

Jonas777, do you not feel comfortable providing links to this sort of information..? does it go against some TOS agreement clause that I have missed?

Thanks
sh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0 View Post
Jonas777, do you not feel comfortable providing links to this sort of information..? does it go against some TOS agreement clause that I have missed?
I can't give you an exact reference to the TOS but I believe there is something like "only use for intended purpose" or similar. And since Amazon is locking out anything but wikipedia for us outside the US they are probably seeing a risk of a very high bill from AT&T, I do not know what their deal looks like. Maybe they have been able to get a special deal on bytes sent to wikipedia?

Also, this site has a policy against information which they would risk being sued for, like posting how to remove DRM.

Which I hope this is not: Anyway, what you would have to do is get root access (jail brake) to the kindle and change the network configuration to not use a proxy (standard linux knowledge).
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert