Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Does anyone compost?

I was at Crate and Barrel today (sigh, I love that place) picking out furniture, and found a 1 gallon composter for $40. Thinking about getting it, but I don't know much about composting. Anyone have any thoughts?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
If you've got a garden in your new place, then definitely!

It's recommended to layer what you put in the compost, so things like green clippings, fruit and veg peelings/waste etc as one layer, then things like dead leaves, hay, straw etc for the next - this allows air in. I've also read that you can use paper in that layer. The other method of getting air into the compost heap is to turn it (the microbes that do the breaking down of stuff need air to work)

It's usually not recommended you add meat or bones to the heap - partly because they can be very slow in breaking down, but mostly because they can attract possibly unwanted visitors in the form of rats etc. It's also usually suggested you avoid putting diseased plant material in the heap, as the heat may not be enough to completely kill off all of the disease. Likewise some weeds (bindweed, f'r example).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
If you've got a garden in your new place, then definitely!

It's recommended to layer what you put in the compost, so things like green clippings, fruit and veg peelings/waste etc as one layer, then things like dead leaves, hay, straw etc for the next - this allows air in. I've also read that you can use paper in that layer. The other method of getting air into the compost heap is to turn it (the microbes that do the breaking down of stuff need air to work)

It's usually not recommended you add meat or bones to the heap - partly because they can be very slow in breaking down, but mostly because they can attract possibly unwanted visitors in the form of rats etc. It's also usually suggested you avoid putting diseased plant material in the heap, as the heat may not be enough to completely kill off all of the disease. Likewise some weeds (bindweed, f'r example).
Hrmm, I don't have a garden, but a shared back yard with some trees at the edge. Maybe my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
My husband is taking a biological gardening class (at the agricultural school where I teach CS). He's made a compost heap without any type of container, just some side support to contain it. We collect pre-sauced salad fixins (without oil and vinegar), tea bags are good, cut vegs of all types, etc. What's nice is that it doesn't smell at all and then he will use it for fertilizer if I understand correctly. Between re-cycling and the compost - we have cut our garbage to a fraction of what it used to be.

Post any questions you might have and I'll ask him.

Also - we live in a townhouse with adjacent units, separated by a low fence and shrubs - no problem at all.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Hrmm, I don't have a garden, but a shared back yard with some trees at the edge. Maybe my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it?
It shouldn't smell (unless you don't get any air in it), and it can be used in plant pots as well as on plants in the ground.
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Your neighbors will never know if you do it properly. There are several great books out there on the subject. Read read and read some more. (local library?) You'll be able to glean the basics and then learn as you go. Its not an "instant" process, takes time for good mulch. Also, look into your local "master gardeners" program in the town you live. Lots of great advice from them, and its free.

enjoy!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A gallon composter is very far on the small side of things. Almost something to put on an end table or in a corner of the bar. It may look good and show that you have good taste and care about the environment; but, if you really want to compost, save your money and go with something more natural as suggested in post #4.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
A gallon composter is very far on the small side of things. Almost something to put on an end table or in a corner of the bar. It may look good and show that you have good taste and care about the environment; but, if you really want to compost, save your money and go with something more natural as suggested in post #4.
Looking into it more, it's really just a bin you keep by your sink to carry your scraps every few days to your composting bin.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Looking into it more, it's really just a bin you keep by your sink to carry your scraps every few days to your composting bin.
It is useful to have something for that purpose if you start composting. The ones I've seen specifically for that purpose have a filter in them, which can be useful if you don't empty it frequently. And you can also get compostable liners for them!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is useful to have something for that purpose if you start composting. The ones I've seen specifically for that purpose have a filter in them, which can be useful if you don't empty it frequently. And you can also get compostable liners for them!
Yeah it had a filter. Hrrm, I need to think about this. I think I'll have to settle in first and see how I can handle it. I'm really going to focus on reducing the amount of stuff I put in the trash.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
There are pictures here of my garden, in the corner near the hedge you can see 2 composting bins. We make most of what we use.

If you are alone, without a use for compost and are just thinking to be green, composting is not for you. But... there could be places for you to bring material to and have it processed. The city here has infrastructures where you can bring material.
Look for those.

And... if you are courageous, there is worm composting. When the compost is ready, you just sprinkle it through the lawn.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

You can get indoor, electric-powered composters, too: http://naturemill.com/index.html (no idea if they're any good, as we don't have one...)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There are pictures here of my garden, in the corner near the hedge you can see 2 composting bins. We make most of what we use.

If you are alone, without a use for compost and are just thinking to be green, composting is not for you. But... there could be places for you to bring material to and have it processed. The city here has infrastructures where you can bring material.
Look for those.

And... if you are courageous, there is worm composting. When the compost is ready, you just sprinkle it through the lawn.
Hrm... think I'll be pinching some ideas from the post you linked to! We need to give our front and back gardens a thorough go over, and the topsoil bag idea will work wonders in some areas
Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Hrm... think I'll be pinching some ideas from the post you linked to! We need to give our front and back gardens a thorough go over, and the topsoil bag idea will work wonders in some areas
Top soil bags are quite a clever arrangement...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Top soil bags are quite a clever arrangement...
It seems such an obivous idea now I've read about it - one step further than grow-bags, really. But it just never occurred to me!