Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #46
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Need help revising recipe please

I'm trying to revise the Fibro recipe to get news on another specific topic but it's kicking back the changes. I think I know what the problem is, but that's the name of the feed unless the issue is elsewhere. It won't even let me save it as a recipe. May I get some help please.

Here is the recipe

#!/usr/bin/env python

__license__ = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2009, Darko Miletic <xxxxxxxxxxxxx>'
'''
sciencedaily.com
'''
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class ScienceDailySpec(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = 'ScienceDaily - Alzheimer's'
__author__ = 'Darko Miletic'
description = "Breaking science news and articles on global warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology, dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology, biology, chemistry, climate &amp; environment, computers, engineering, health &amp; medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more -- from the world's leading universities and research organizations."
oldest_article = 10000
language = _('English')
max_articles_per_feed = 1000
no_stylesheets = True
use_embedded_content = False

keep_only_tags = [
dict(name='h1', attrs={'class':'story'})
,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'story'})
]

remove_tags_after = dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'citationbox'})
remove_tags = [
dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'seealso'})
,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'citationbox'})
]

feeds = [(u"Alzheimer's Research News", u'http://www.sciencedaily.com/rss/health_medicine/alzheimer's.xml')]

The only thing I changed was the title and the feed info. I think the apostrophe in the feed line is creating the issue but don't know enough to be sure. Problem comes in because that is the name of the feed.

Also, please note, in the recipe the part including and after the apostrophe on the feed line is black as opposed to ochre/yellow. Screenshot included. Thanks.

Forgot to mention, I need to add one more feed to the feeds and don't know how to do that. A quick explanation would help.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Alzheimers.bmp (576.1 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by pghaworth; 04-25-2009 at 05:57 PM.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #47
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Your feed url has ' and that breaks the string. Enclose the feed url with double quotes like this:

Code:
feeds = [(u"Alzheimer's Research News", u"yourfeedurl")]
and adding more feeds:

Code:
feeds = [ 
              (u"Alzheimer's Research News", u"yourfeedurl")
             ,(u"bbb", u"yourfeedurl")
             ,(u"ccc", u"yourfeedurl")
           ]
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #48
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #49
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Here's what I get now and here's my recipe modified.

Could not create recipe. Error: invalid syntax (recipe 20 py, line 15). This changes everytime I make a change but the line number stays the same.

`````

#!/usr/bin/env python

__license__ = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2009, Darko Miletic <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>'
'''
sciencedaily.com
'''
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class ScienceDailySpec(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = 'ScienceDaily - Alzheimer's'
__author__ = 'Darko Miletic'
description = "Breaking science news and articles on global
warming, extrasolar planets, stem cells, bird flu, autism, nanotechnology,
dinosaurs, evolution -- the latest discoveries in astronomy, anthropology,
biology, chemistry, climate &amp; environment, computers, engineering,
health &amp; medicine, math, physics, psychology, technology, and more --
from the world's leading universities and research organizations."
oldest_article = 10000
language = _('English')
max_articles_per_feed = 1000
no_stylesheets = True
use_embedded_content = False

keep_only_tags = [
dict(name='h1', attrs={'class':'story'})
,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'story'})
]

remove_tags_after = dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'citationbox'})
remove_tags = [
dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'seealso'})
,dict(name='div', attrs={'id':'citationbox'})
]

feeds = [
(u"Alzheimer's Research News", u"http://www.sciencedaily.com/rss/health_medicine/alzheimer's.xml"),
(u"Alzheimer's Research News", u"http://www.sciencedaily.com/rss/mind_brain/alzheimer's.xml")
]

~~~~~~~~~~
I know nothing about this type of programming so I am accomplishing the separation above using carriage returns - which I'm sure is wrong. Tried using a "tab" but that didn't work either. I'm feeling really dumb right now since I took visual basic programming a while back and should be better at this even tho' it's different. Sorry, and thanks for your help.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #50
thegillons
thegillons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anyone have a recipe for U. S. News & World Report?

Does anyone have a recipe for U. S. News & World Report? If so, I would appreciate your sharing. If not, I'll try to work on it as time permits.
thegillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #51
niaiserie
niaiserie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
script login

I'm having trouble getting a script to login.
Here's the code:
br.open('https://ssl.thenation.com/user/login.mhtml')
br.select_form('tn-login')

The site html reads:
<form id="tn-login" action="https://ssl.thenation.com/user/login.mhtml" method="post">

The error output is below.
Is there any way this can be fixed either in the script or, if this type of request isn't supported, in the API?

ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Fetch news from The Nation - print edition

Fetch news from The Nation - print edition
InputFormatPlugin: Recipe Input running Python function terminated unexpectedly
no form matching name 'tn-login' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 103, in main
File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 90, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.py", line 19, in gui_convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.py", line 721, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 208, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\input.py", line 60, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\news.py", line 509, in __init__
File "c:\docume~1\greg\locals~1\temp\calibre_0.6.20_5kl 0xo_recipes\recipe0.py", line 54, in get_browser
br.select_form('tn-login')
File "site-packages\mechanize-0.1.11-py2.6.egg\mechanize\_mechanize.py", line 530, in select_form
mechanize._mechanize.FormNotFoundError: no form matching name 'tn-login'
niaiserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #52
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
select_form method only works if form has attribute name. In your case form has id which is not handled by select_form. You should use the number of ocurrence of this form within html page. It would be like this:

Code:
br.select_form(id=1)
Experiment with numbers (starting with 0) until it starts working.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #53
DevNull42
DevNull42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is there a way to have Calibre not add the date to the title metadata for fetched news? I am using default recipes. When I transfer them to the Kindle it will automatically archive the older issue as long as they have the same name. But since Calibre is adding a date to the metadata it has a different name each day.

I can go in and edit each one after they are downloaded, but I was hoping there was a way to automate the process. Thanks for any help you can provide.
DevNull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #54
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make a custom recipe based on the builtin one and set

timefmt = ''
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #55
DevNull42
DevNull42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Make a custom recipe based on the builtin one and set

timefmt = ''
Thanks so much Kovid. I didn't expect a response so fast. It worked like a charm.

I also wanted to mention that your software was the deciding factor in me getting a Kindle. Outstanding program!
DevNull42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #56
Tango
Tango began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Strategy+Business Recipe

The Strategy+Business.com recipe is not working. It's clear that registration is required and the username and password need to be supplied. However, for some reason it's not working.

Also, can somebody suggest where exactly to hard code the username and password in the recipe?

Thanks so much!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #57
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
I'm using the free Wall Street Journal recipe and the paper gets sent to my Kindle fine. However, it comes with the date as part of the title, so it doesn't archive issues like my other papers, it just keeps adding new titles (with the new dates) to my main menu. On recipes I've created myself, I put in the line timefmt = '', which seems to just leave the paper's title without a date, and they archive fine each day, saving the last 7 copies. How do I change a copy of the Wall Street Journal recipe to do the same thing? That recipe has the same line, but to no apparent effect.
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Comment out the line that sets timefmt in the parse_index function
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #59
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Thank you.

Kovid - thank you! Your help and work on this program is much appreciated.
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #60
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I want to create an recipe that can get most recent wikipedia featured articles. But there is not an RSS link for this. Any suggestion?
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote