Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Kobo revs up its line of e-readers, unveils Kobo Arc 10 HD tablet

Hosting the "Beyond the Book" event in NYC today, Kobo just announced a whole bunch of new e-reading devices, including the Kobo Arc 10 HD - their first 10-inch tablet, and quite a beauty it is!

To start with, below is a list of the new devices along with the specifications.

Kobo Aura

Specs:
  • Display: 6-inch E Ink
  • CPU: 1.0 GHz
  • Connectivity: WiFi
  • Storage: 4GB
  • Price: $149.99 (retail starting September 16)

Kobo Arc 7

Specs:
  • Display: 7-inch, 1024 x 600 pixels
  • CPU: 1.2 GHz MTK 8125
  • Camera: 0.3 MP (front)
  • RAM: 1GB, with 8GB storage
  • Price: $149.99

Kobo Arc 7 HD

Specs:
  • Display: 7-inch, 1920 x 1200 pixels
  • CPU: 1.7 GHz Nvidia Tegra 3
  • Camera: 1.3 MP (front)
  • Connectivity: 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0
  • RAM: 1GB, with 16GB or 32GB storage
  • Android 4.2.2
  • Price: $199.99 (16GB), $249.99 (32GB)

Kobo Arc 10 HD

Specs:
  • Display: 10-inch, 2560 x 1600 pixels
  • CPU: 1.8 GHz Nvidia Tegra 4
  • Camera: 1.3 MP (front)
  • RAM: 2GB, with 16GB storage
  • Price: $399.99

[via Engadget]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-arc-7-press-lead.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	110101   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-arc-7-hd-press-lead.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	110102   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-aura-lead-press.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	110103   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-arc-10hd-press-lead.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	110105  

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 08-27-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nothing there of interest to me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

According to Financial Post, regarding the Kobo Aura (E Ink):

Quote:
It will retail for $149 starting Sept. 16, and boasts a new screen technology that almost entirely eliminates ghosting and page refresh effects. It is the first e-Ink reader with read-it-later service integration from Pocket built-in.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Press release:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-rel...221398961.html
Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

The tablets are said to retail on October 16.
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I think those are good additions, though none of the devices feel like something I need.

The Glo works fine for me and the Aura doesn't offer enough improvements to justify buying it (no physical page turn buttons), though the capacitive touchsrceen would be nice to have.

I just bought a Nexus 7.2, so the announcement comes too late, but it's good to see that Kobo's device will also have a 1920x1200 resolution and that they state that they'll keep updating the OS.

And 10" tablets, well, I still have my iPad and I consider to get an ultrabook to replace my 17" laptop in half a year or a year, so I don't think a 10" tablet is something that fits in my devices-family-planning.

Still, I feel that those are solid additions to Kobo's product line.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Nothing there of interest to me.
Yeah, so far the devices are excellent yet don't have anything (good value, hard to beat price, etc.) that entices me to give up my e-reader or trade in my tablet.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I just bought a Nexus 7.2, so the announcement comes too late, but it's good to see that Kobo's device will also have a 1920x1200 resolution and that they state that they'll keep updating the OS.
Same here. The Kobo Aura HD has some nice specs but I wonder how long it'll take them to upgrade to Android 4.2 plus I imagine the version of Android is skinned. The Kobo is a little cheaper but I don't regret buying the Nexus 7.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
I've been wanting a lighted e-reader so have been waiting (not so) patiently for all the announcements. I am excited that Pocket is part of Kobo now--I use that all the time! And now if I could only find a picture of the pink e-reader

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
CNET Has some added details:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/kobo...-35826962.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-35826967.html

"Up to 100 pages between refresh" is due to an improved screen controller, apparently, as the screen is still Pearl HD and not the next-gen screen eInk talked about recently.

The edge-to-edge design refers to the capacitance touch that allows for a screen-level bezel in matte glass.

CNET Australia has info on the tablets:

http://www.cnet.com.au/kobo-launchin...-339345284.htm

I do hope Kobo is careful managing their tablet inventory because there doesn't appear to be anything compelling there.

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-27-2013 at 09:00 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Jewitch
Bukh libhober
Jewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the partyJewitch brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm happy with my Kobo Touch.
Jewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Same here. The Kobo Aura HD has some nice specs but I wonder how long it'll take them to upgrade to Android 4.2 plus I imagine the version of Android is skinned. The Kobo is a little cheaper but I don't regret buying the Nexus 7.
The Kobo Aura HD is a Linux eink device. The 10 inch Arc tablet is being released with Android 4.2.2.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #13
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
I have no idea why I would buy an Arc over just about any other tablet.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Seems to me the Arc 7 is a step back from the original Arc (ok SD slot and faster processor, but screen res and battery life is worse).

Why have they opted for the backs that they have on the new line? They are not symmetrical. Swapping from one hand to another will feel really odd.

I must note that it is strange lack of Kobo people here on MR anymore, along with Getsatisfaction hasn't seen one reply to a post in a looooong time. Hmmm
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
They're calling their new six inch device an Aura now? Confusing. And no bumps to the Aura Original. Bother.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote