Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #136
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I had 3 hip operations as a kid, the first one at 6. As a result, I spent 3 different summers in full body casts. One of my home school teachers always brought me books when she came. I kind of just took off from there. I probably read over 1,000 books before I turned 10 years old, easily.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Pretty hip!

(groan!)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #138
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
What got me into reading was a love of stories, fairy tales to begin with. Way before I learned to read I used to memorize stories read to me and tell them to other children, later.

When I learned to read I just read all the stories that my parents and my sister had read to me before. I was very pleased that I did not need to ask someone to read me a story at their convenience.

I do remember that the first grown-up books I read were mysteries. I probably was about 8 or so and I was given an Agatha Christie book. I was so impressed that for about a year all I wanted to read (and did read) were mysteries.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #139
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I really don't know. I started reading at a very early age, but it was mostly comic books; there was never much reading material in our house and the tiny village I was raised in as a child never even had a library. In the mid 1950's I discovered science fiction and I think that was what gave me a real love of reading.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #140
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by william z View Post
I really don't know. I started reading at a very early age, but it was mostly comic books; there was never much reading material in our house and the tiny village I was raised in as a child never even had a library. In the mid 1950's I discovered science fiction and I think that was what gave me a real love of reading.
Excellent! And welcome to MR!
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #141
liveoutloud91
liveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheeseliveoutloud91 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Coby Kyros 7022
My 4th grade teacher introduced me to the Harry Potter series. Like a lot of people I used reading to escape harsh reality, for me that was bullies.
liveoutloud91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #142
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I remember learning how to read when I was in first grade. I thought it was fascinating. I'd go to the library every week to read more books. We didn't have a TV, so I'd check out as many as I could (The local library had a 20 book limit) and I spent all my time reading.
Your library was very generous. I think mine had a 3 book limit for kids back when I was young in the 70's.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #143
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Your library was very generous. I think mine had a 3 book limit for kids back when I was young in the 70's.
Yeah, 20 books is luxury. Mine had a max of 6 around the same time as yours. That's why I went to three branches at the same time
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #144
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
My mom is a big reader of fantasy so she got me into it early. It has continued ever since and its even better now as with both Kindles on the same account we can easily share and discuss books.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #145
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
My mom is a big reader of fantasy so she got me into it early. It has continued ever since and its even better now as with both Kindles on the same account we can easily share and discuss books.
Those who have mothers like yours are the luckiest people in the world. It's a great thing to nurture the love for reading in children's hearts.
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #146
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Q View Post
Those who have mothers like yours are the luckiest people in the world. It's a great thing to nurture the love for reading in children's hearts.
Wow I felt a song coming on....

Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #147
bethany7
Enthusiast
bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!bethany7 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I had fantastic parents who read to us every night. I also inherited my Mum's Enid Blyton books and fell in love with them. I read every single one and would hunt out the others in every library I joined.
I don't remember actually learning to read. I know I was quite young, and could read before starting school, again thanks to my parents. I was told at about age 9/10 that I had the reading age of a 17 year old, which made me want to read even more! I exhausted my school schools' fiction books and would beg my parents to take me to the library.
I stopped reading as much when I went into hospital for a long period of time, and it was virtually impossible to go out and buy/borrow books. Fortunately the advent of e-readers has meant that even though I still have few opportunities to get my hands on physical books, I can get almost any book I want as an ebook. I really am grateful to these devices for allowing me to rediscover my love of reading!
bethany7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #148
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I was in a car accident when I was eight years old and consequently out of school for several weeks. Since I was living with my Grandmother at the time, she had nothing for me to do. However, she had the Harvard Classics in her garage. I read Dante's Inferno, (Didn't understand much) but I was hooked. From there I went on to Grimm's fairy tales, etc. By the time I could go outside again, I was a bookworm. Went to the library and checked out the Boxcar Twins and never looked back.

My Childhood and Teen-hood were less than steller. I needed the escape books provided and now I read for enjoyment.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #149
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
(Didn't understand much) but I was hooked.
I'm not sure I understand this. If you didn't understand it, what were you hooked on?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #150
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Passed down through the family I guess. My Mum always read a lot (as did her mother, she was a frequent visitor to the library right up until her last couple of years) and we had bedtime stories read to us when we were kids. I have a rotten memory but one of the few things I do remember from when I was young was visiting the library and the joy at being able to get 3 books at the one time! So I've always read, right from being a youngster at primary school, through my teenage years and onwards. It was also an affordable form of entertainment back in those days when we couldn't afford all the toys and stuff kids get seem to get now!

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote