Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
jimsterbaby
jimsterbaby began at the beginning.

Device: PE AND EE
need e-ink screen for EE

hi anyone have a bricked EE or 1 with a broken lcd side will do. i broke mine and really miss it. will pay or trade . i have 4 PEs 2 work fine other need repair and i also have an Archos e reader that i would trade thanks for any help with this
jimsterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Burgher
Connoisseur
Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage eDGe
The EE has a standard 9.7" E-Ink screen. So it's not necessary to tear a display from another unit. Service centers that repair ereaders should have such screens. I don't know about the place where you live, but in Russia they do.
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher View Post
The EE has a standard 9.7" E-Ink screen. So it's not necessary to tear a display from another unit. Service centers that repair ereaders should have such screens. I don't know about the place where you live, but in Russia they do.
Are you saying that you can get Wacom digitizer enabled e-ink screens in Russia, if so can you name some places?

A standard non digitizer screen will not work in any of the edge devices. OK, you might get some sort of display - depends on it being optimised for the driver chip, which is not an easy job, but without the digitizer overlay you will not get any feedback from the stylus - not an ideal situation.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Burgher
Connoisseur
Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage eDGe
For example, this repair workshop claims that they can replace the screen of a Pocketbook Pro 912, which is also a 9.7" Wacom-enabled:
http://mobi03.ru/remont-pocketbook-pro-912.html

These guys sell various E-Ink screens including 9.7":
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10118

(Use Google Translate).
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher View Post
For example, this repair workshop claims that they can replace the screen of a Pocketbook Pro 912, which is also a 9.7" Wacom-enabled:
http://mobi03.ru/remont-pocketbook-pro-912.html

These guys sell various E-Ink screens including 9.7":
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10118

(Use Google Translate).
OK, it looks good - res 1200 x 825 but is a little expensive at about 200 Euro, although if the recalibrating and matching of the screen to display system is included that isn't too bad a price.

I did notice that there were some problems with correctly calibrating the screens to the devices mentioned by some people. That I can understand as it is not an easy job - certainly not one that someone should attempt without at least an oscilloscope and a couple of high quality digital meters and, of course, the knowledge of how to do it.

That being said, a direct swap of edge screens stand a much better chance of working, at least well enough to be useful, than a new screen.

Thanks for the information, I'll give it to my parts guy in the morning to go on to his small list of edge possible replacement parts.
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Also Luke from the italian ebook musem (you find him on ebci.it / forum.simplicissimus.it / here on MR) is able to do this kind of repairs, but I don't think he's got in his hands the exact screen replacement for EE.

Yes, you can't just swap the new in place of the old, there's some work to do software side (maybe even reloading waveforms?)
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
jimsterbaby

wow thanks guys a lot of info . to me it will be easier to just swap it out . endless the connection is the same on these other e-ink screens, i can get a used 1 for 375$ on ebay which is close to the 200 euro i think.i did see a peal screen on the list that would be cool.thanks everyone for your help
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure I understood what you mean.

You can't just take it out and simply replace it by connecting a new one: it's not just a matter of hardware; also you can't mount a Pearl on the EE/Pocket, you need the exact kind of screen (8 grey levels Vizplex)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
jimsterbaby

so a new replacement would have the same connection thats cool. the peal screen i was only kidding about but would be cool.so the link you left ,the screen would fit the hardware for the EE.have you gotten any thing from them before . i take a better i look quick before .do the show pics of the screen .got to make sure for that kind of mony thanks for all your help
Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
jimsterbaby

oh i get it now you saying it needs some kind of software or stuff done to it if i get a new. 1.i ask a repair shop up the street.but i asked about replacing a power switch on the PE and got if you got anther 1 if not than they cant do it.then they wanted over 100$ to do the repair.the said guy taking them apart cost the most.so i was think of doing it my shelf and bring the boards in,endless i practiced board work first .then just do it.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I'm not sure I understood what you mean.

You can't just take it out and simply replace it by connecting a new one: it's not just a matter of hardware; also you can't mount a Pearl on the EE/Pocket, you need the exact kind of screen (8 grey levels Vizplex)
There is no such thing as an 8 grey levels Vizplex. They are all 16 shades. It's just that some readers only used 8 shades like Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsterbaby View Post
oh i get it now you saying it needs some kind of software or stuff done to it if i get a new. 1.i ask a repair shop up the street.but i asked about replacing a power switch on the PE and got if you got anther 1 if not than they cant do it.then they wanted over 100$ to do the repair.the said guy taking them apart cost the most.so i was think of doing it my shelf and bring the boards in,endless i practiced board work first .then just do it.
Light dawns at last

As I said it is not the sort of thing one does on a whim - you do need some knowledge of how electronics, especially display hardware and software, works.

Replacing a switch is easy - assuming you have the correct tools and a little knowledge, there are a couple of threads on this forum giving details including the part number and supplier of the replacement switch.

Replacing the e-ink screen first requires the replacement screen to be compatible with the the driver hardware - some will be, some won't. Then, ideally, the replacement should have the same connector. With the replacement connected up the 'fun' begins. Each new screen should have a chart of its parameters - what it requires from the hardware chip to work - you have to make that happen. Sometimes it can be accomplished just by software, other times it requires hardware adjustment.

And therein you see the work involved. In many cases it is less expensive to get a replacement unit.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
jimsterbaby

ya i finely got it.i am looking to get a new EE for cheap which is hard to do even on ebay.i will look for that thread. don't look to hard to do, i will practice first on a few dead broads i have to see if i can do it. but a new one would be easier to do i think than to take 1 off and put back on.hey i have 2 PEs that have white screens and doesn't seem software related. i reloaded dingo on 1 and took a good screen and tried that.but nothing still white screen.i am thinking bad connector wire or bad board.i also got 1 that looks like the led is dead cant see the screen good on lcd side. thanks again for all the help.oh if i get a new i mat let you take apart my bad EE,will see what happens
Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no such thing as an 8 grey levels Vizplex. They are all 16 shades. It's just that some readers only used 8 shades like Sony.
All the first Vizplex had 8. EE's display has 8.

in case you want to check:
https://picasaweb.google.com/aplom77...eat=directlink

edge (Vizplex 8) / Sony T1 (Pearl 16 grey lvl)

Last edited by lorenzoens; 04-25-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
a couple of new ones seem to go for 200€ at http://www.bax-shop.nl/ ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote