Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #31
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
from diybookscanner.org
Re: Ionaudio Booksaver?
by LA2 » 37 minutes ago

I received my Ion Audio Book Saver today, have assembled the parts, and started to use it. You need a standard SD card, which is not included. There is a battery compartment for 4 AAA batteries, but you don't need batteries, since the device uses power from the USB connector. The unit produces JPEG images, just like a digital camera. There is no software included to produce PDF. (But we already have ScanTailor.) It produces 5 megapixel JPEG images that are 1.5 megabytes each, so even a 2 GB card will store over a thousand pages. When you click the scan button, the device beeps, then waits 4 seconds, then comes the first (artificial) shutter sound, then waits 3 more seconds, then the second shutter sound, then waits 3 seconds and beeps. In all, this creates a 10 second cycle per spread in addition to the time you need to lift the device and flip pages. These times were measured when using a SanDisk Ultra SDHC card, 8 GB, up to 30 MB/s. I don't know if a faster SD card could shorten the times. The beeps could be embarrasing in a library environment. I haven't found a way to make it silent.
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Arbait
Can you give us a hint on features and if you were successful (a low error count) with your OCR completion (to text)?

What can you do with the USB connection? Just transfer images?
Are there any configuration settings for the camera(s)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #33
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I've just received it and...

Unfortunately...
The machine is slow and the imagequality is really terrible. Horrible even.
Take a look:

This is how it comes out of the machine [EDIT: click to get original-size images]

And photoshop can't fix it of course. Garbage in, garbage out

Another one:

There's no way you'd throw away your books and have it replaced with something like this right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HaNDY_small.jpg
Views:	2002
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	91350   Click image for larger version

Name:	aRiNM_small.jpg
Views:	1951
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	91351   Click image for larger version

Name:	VodEb_small.jpg
Views:	1941
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	91352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iwlte_small.jpg
Views:	1878
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	91353  

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-27-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: resized images
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The uneven lighting isn't good, but the real problem, it seems to me, is the uneven focus.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #35
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Has anyone got some images of the ION being used for books - I'm not really surprised by the magazine images but could still be useful if it handles books...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #36
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The uneven lighting isn't good, but the real problem, it seems to me, is the uneven focus.
The thing is.. the booksaver does not have a lighting system, so it depends on external light. In this case a window.

As for the image quality... besides a bad focus: there are vignetting, chromatic abbaration, noise, distortion.
Pretty much the worst camera ever seen.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
The thing is.. the booksaver does not have a lighting system, so it depends on external light. In this case a window.

As for the image quality... besides a bad focus: there are vignetting, chromatic abbaration, noise, distortion.
Pretty much the worst camera ever seen.
Ah - then the lighting problems are your setup, not the device.

In which case, the focus is the big problem. The other problems aren't significant for OCR applications, which I pretty sure is what this device is aimed at.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #38
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Ah - then the lighting problems are your setup, not the device.

In which case, the focus is the big problem. The other problems aren't significant for OCR applications, which I pretty sure is what this device is aimed at.

Ehm I'd say no. They're promoting the booksaver as a tool to quickly convert books AND comics, magazines, etc. It's certainly not aimed for OCR.

And even if it was, it failed in that goal too. The image quality is not enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ion1.jpg
Views:	1777
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	91389   Click image for larger version

Name:	ion2.jpg
Views:	1790
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	91390  

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-27-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Please don't post such large images. The maximum permitted pixel size is 600x600 pixels. I've resized your pictures again, adding links to the full size originals when the smaller image is clicked.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #40
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
"A picture is worth a thousand words" is definitely true in this case. Thanks for showing us how crappy the setup is, athlonkmf. The focusing is abysmal, although some of the blurriness may be due to the JPEG encoding. The fact that it's only twice as fast as my OptiBook scanner at 300 dpi makes it a complete failure in my eyes. Ouch!

Last edited by rkomar; 08-27-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fixed to reflect that it takes two pictures in about the time my scanner does one page.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You saved me a bunch of money.

Lighting is fairly easy to fix. Ikea as goose neck lamps fairly cheap.

There is no cure for poor focus (unless it was caused by low/uneven light ).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #42
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Lighting is fairly easy to fix. Ikea as goose neck lamps fairly cheap.

There is no cure for poor focus (unless it was caused by low/uneven light ).
It's hard to get bright, even lighting from cheap indoor lamps. Bright means bringing the lamp close, which results in uneven brightness over something as large as an open book (which really stands out in pictures). Sunlight is probably better than household lamps, as long as you can tilt the surface your photographing so that there is no specular reflection off the pages back up towards the camera.

It's strange that they didn't just fix the focus at the right distance in the cameras. The rig keeps the pages at a constant distance. Perhaps you're right about the light level being a problem. Maybe the aperture had to be open wide to collect enough light, and that meant a low depth of field in the pictures. It's hard to believe that they're selling something that produces such bad results.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #43
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
From the topic "Ionaudio Booksaver?" on diybookscanner

Re: Ionaudio Booksaver?
by deklerkt » Yesterday, 10:10

"I understand that tomorrow (28 Aug 2012) there is a London meeting of Ion-audio people on this Book Saver and comments I sent back to Ion NL would be taken along. Whether that will produce something new/better/improved I don't know. The one thing that should be exchanged is the camera unit for something far better. The rest, though not perfect, I think might do the job.
deklerkt"
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #44
leosmesc
leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leosmesc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Prs-t1
Hello!
I registered here only to add my 2 cents to this 3d.
I sent an email to IonAudioNL and received a reply:

"Hallo!
Will be the BookSaver available again?
And what about the focusing problem of the cameras?
Best Regards,
XXXXXXX"

"Dear XXXXXXX,

I hope we have new stock within 90 day's. I'm in contact with our use team
that they will do some modifications on the product.

Hope to have more news soon.

Kind Regards,
Konrad"

Cheers.
leosmesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #45
athlonkmf
Guru

I'm still waiting for my refund....