Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I'm probably one of the minority, but I've never used Caliber and I've never had a problem with the Sony bookstore.
you're not in the minority. i tried calibre once, but never used it again and stuck with the sony software. it works and does what it says without issue.
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
spuernase
spuernase began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramookie View Post
and stuck with the sony software. it works and does what it says without issue.
May I ask you if you purchase ebooks also from ebook stores that are not listed (or listed by default) in the Ebook-Store tab of Sony's Reader Library?

I'm asking because I would like to use this tool to buy an ebook from a store not included there. I'm not sure if it is possible to add other stores.

Regards,
Spürnase
spuernase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuernase View Post
May I ask you if you purchase ebooks also from ebook stores that are not listed (or listed by default) in the Ebook-Store tab of Sony's Reader Library?

I'm asking because I would like to use this tool to buy an ebook from a store not included there. I'm not sure if it is possible to add other stores.
You only need the software to tie the reader to your Adobe ID account. You don't have to limit yourself only to the shops listed there - in fact, you can forgo the software and just use your browser to shop.
Note that you still need to make sure that the books you buy are compatible with the reader. I.e. they have to use either Adobe ADEPT DRM or be DRM-free.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I always found good service at the Sony eBook Store. If you can find their gift cards on sale (sometimes at Target) you can get great buys too. I never liked the Library software though.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #20
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
One thing that I really like about the Sony eBookstore (that I was just reminded of this morning) is that if there's a particular author you like, you can sign up to receive updates when that author has a new title in the bookstore. Now if you could request notices for authors they don't yet have, that would be extra nice!

I think the store's biggest downfall is the absence of sample chapters, TOC to preview before purchasing.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #21
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:

Regards,
Spürnase
I know this was already answered, but I thought I'd chime in. It's very easy to add books purchased elsewhere to the Sony Library, then add them to your Collections and sync them up to the Reader. I do it all the time. Usually I buy direct from publishers or from an aggregate reseller site.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #22
ultramookie
almighty trouble creator
ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!ultramookie , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: bn nook
Quote:

Hi, yes, I have shopped for books on other stores (Waterstones before they locked out US customers and also Kobo). For these, I just shopped on their websites and ADE took care of the download and stuff.
ultramookie is offline   Reply With Quote