Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
DanBenton
DanBenton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Previewer issues

Hi

Anyone else having trouble with the new-look Kindle Previewer? I've made an update to a Mobi file that I know is fine, but opening it to check in KP (regular Kindle mode) it opens on a page that's blank except for the first three letters of the opening chapter heading ('CHA'...). Paging forward then back gets the full page, so the text is definitely all there, it just looks like there's something wrong with the start page.
I'm certain the file's still fine, but the previewer problem's freaking me out. Has anyone else had this problem, or anything else strange with previewer?

Cheers
Dan
DanBenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
Sounds like a bug in your mobi. That said, Kindle previewer is pretty rough and ready, and very intolerant of minor gremlins. But if works in previewer, then it's usually bug free.

Try firing it into Calibre and use the book reader for a second opinion. Or K4PC, you can change the aspect ratio of the view by resizing the window. If your page pops back into the correct format on resize and page forward & back, then you definately have a spacing issue in your file. Check for a rogue <br/> tag or similair.
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
sonofpendragon
Member Retired
sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
I know the names are so annoyingly similar, but do you mean the KDP preview option when using KDP to upload and publish? Or do you mean the stand-alone prog, Kindle Previewer? I suppose things may have changed, but just a few weeks ago, it was proved to me that the KDP previewer was highly inaccurate when showing complex files, so of course when you don't know this, you are led into a false sense of security and happily assumed my book file was hunky dory - it wasn't. But I was also told that the Kindle Previewer is far more accurate, and a file with images and tables etc that looks ok using the Kindle Previewer, will be ok in the final published ebook. This is how it turned out, so I no longer trust the KDP previewing function for complex files (it is fine for simple text only ebooks though, musn't totally decry it), but I do, or perhaps did at least, trust the Kindle Previewer. Perhaps if someone can clarify which this thread is about? If the latter, then I am back to square one, with some new books in the pipeline at least.
sonofpendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
wordpotion
wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wordpotion knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
My Kindle Previewer was updated today to 2.31.

The first thing that I noticed is that "enter" empty rows are not presented correctly like the previous version did.

UPDATE
Ok I found the solution...section DEVICES should be selected for a proper model. Problem solved.

Last edited by wordpotion; 01-24-2012 at 06:41 PM.
wordpotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
DanBenton
DanBenton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi

I meant Kindle Previewer, the standalone, and it's only been an issue since the new version was released. The files display fine on a regular Kindle, and in the 'Devices' versions apart from the standard Kindle.
These are files that also displayed fine on the older version of Kindle Previewer (2.2? 2.30? Whichever the last major release was). Anyone else having that problem?

Dan
DanBenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert