Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Limmer
Limmer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Getting very cranky

Half of my books are only half books! I will get to read 5-6 chapters (sometimes not so much) and then the next chapters are blank or gibberish. I am running 1.4. The books are ones I read before so I know they worked at one point. They were uninstalled and then reinstalled. I have tried syncing several times and sometimes I get a little more and sometimes I don't.

Why is this happening?
Limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Try and transfer them via Calibre and see how it goes. Might be the ADE or Kobo desktop causing the issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Limmer

I am not all that tech savvy. I do not want to have to download another software. Why can't the one made for my reader do it? (not meaning to snark at you, i get very snippy when I have nothing to read,)
Old 09-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Can you provide a little more detail? Are you having problem with books purchased from and transferred with the Kobo software? Are these ePubs or PDF?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Limmer

These are books I bought off of Kobobooks.com and transferred the only way I know how, the software that was built into the reader. I have done this more than 20 times. These books HAVE worked before and after the last time I charged the device and started re-reading a book, half of it was not there.

I have updated my library and synced my device several times since finding the error and the only difference was one more chapter showed up in the book I am reading. Several chapters before and after it are blank.
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This sounds like it is books in Kobo format, and not ePub. Probably a corrupted database?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmer View Post
I am not all that tech savvy. I do not want to have to download another software. Why can't the one made for my reader do it? (not meaning to snark at you, i get very snippy when I have nothing to read,)
By using another program to transfer your ebooks to the Kobo, it allows you to isolate the problem. If the ebooks transfer fine using Calibre then the Kobo itself is not at fault.

I have a Sony reader as well and the software is patchy at best. So dodgy bundled software can be an issue for all ereaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This sounds like it is books in Kobo format, and not ePub. Probably a corrupted database?
Kobo does not have a native closed format. It uses ADE ePUB for it's main format.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Kobo does not have a native closed format. It uses ADE ePUB for it's main format.
It most certainly does. The kobo uses a proprietary format stored in an sqlite database - not EPUB. It supports EPUB via side load however.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
sabredog

They are preloaded books. Can you buy sqlite ebooks "off the shelf"?

I am not so sure you actually can.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Ghoda
Enthusiast
Ghoda is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo, Kobo for iPhone, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
They are preloaded books. Can you buy sqlite ebooks "off the shelf"?

I am not so sure you actually can.
All of the books purchased from Kobo and loaded via the Kobo Desktop software go directly into the database. I find that the formatting is better and page turns faster than EPubs so I use the desktop - database option exclusively.

As for Limmer I would try to dump the database and reset it to factory defaults (see sticky thread at the top of this forum, it has easy to follow instructions) and see if it's still a problem. If it is then return your reader post haste sir!
Ghoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
sabredog

There you go. I do not use any software supplied by my readers as I prefer ePUB. All the ereaders we have in the house can thus read the books in our library.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
when you buy the book on kobo dont use the kobo software. Log into kobo books with your web browser adn choose the epub purchase option. Then you can use ADE to load it onto your kobo. It may be that if you already bought the book through your kobo software that you can also download the epub from your browser but I am not sure about that.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
when you buy the book on kobo dont use the kobo software. Log into kobo books with your web browser adn choose the epub purchase option. Then you can use ADE to load it onto your kobo. It may be that if you already bought the book through your kobo software that you can also download the epub from your browser but I am not sure about that.
Yes you can have both. For backup purposes, I always download the ePub, even though I use the Kobo desktop software.

One difference between Kobo and ePub format is that all ePubs I've read have fixed page numbers so you can be on the same page number for 2 or 3 page turns; and therefore you can tell what page of the book, not chapter, you are on.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
One difference between Kobo and ePub format is that all ePubs I've read have fixed page numbers so you can be on the same page number for 2 or 3 page turns; and therefore you can tell what page of the book, not chapter, you are on.
Actually, the biggest difference is, EPUB supports images, the native kobo format doesn't.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote