Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
How can I (re)create DR1000S friendly pdfs??

Greetings,
This is driving me crazy. The PDF file at http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/cs/pdf/9412/9412102v1.pdf is just one of the papers I'm trying to read. (this one is about probabilistic graphical models)
There is something wrong with it though. Whatever it is, it locks my DR1000S after a few page turns, usually 1 or 2.

I tried to recreate it, by printing it using free pdf printer software, but the results did not change. There are other documents which exhibit the same behaviour, DR1000S turn page is either incredibly slow, or it gets stuck during page turn.

If there is a way of turning pdfs into an dr1000s friendly form, I'd really appreciate your advice about this. I've seen thousand page documents which simply flow very fast, and sometimes a 10 page documents is impossible to read.

What is slowing the reader down, and how do I get rid of it??

Best Regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I don't know at this point but you need to say which firmware you are running as there are differences between old 1.7 and v2
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ah, my bad, sorry. This is 1.7.1
I've read about contrast issues and other problems related to v2, and I don't think I'll change to that before it (if it ever goes) goes final.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
Ah, my bad, sorry. This is 1.7.1
I've read about contrast issues and other problems related to v2, and I don't think I'll change to that before it (if it ever goes) goes final.
The R1.7.1 firmware uses an old version of poppler to render pdf-files. The R2.0-beta firmware uses a 'modern' library from Acrobat. So the problem might not exist in R2.0-beta.

If you first make a complete backup/copy of your SD-card, then install R2.0 beta (copy installation files to SD-card, reset device) to give it a try, you can go back by installing R1.7.1. (copy installation files to SD, reset device) and AFTER that restoring your full old SD-card content.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
Just tested the file here, no problem with the latest 2.0 firmware.

In general pdf's are quite a bit faster with the new firmware than with the old.

Edit: Concerning the contrast issues. I would try it yourself. I didn't see any noticeable difference.

Last edited by rvs; 09-09-2010 at 10:28 AM.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Xournal has the possibility to take a screenshot of a window, you could use that to compare the contrast performance on the DR.
Open a (pdf-) document in UDS (standard viewer). Start Xournal and use the menu: Journal->Background Screenshot. Xournal will go to the background and from the first window that you touch with your stylus a screenshot will be made. Use the TaskBar to go back to Xournal and save the document as pdf.

After installing R2.0 do the same (with the xournal version for R2.0).
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr1000s pdf problem