Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
114,000 iPad 3G Email Addresses Exposed

DailyTech reports that "a group called Goatse Security has published the personal email addresses of 114,067 iPad 3G purchasers".

Apparently AT&T left a public interface to their database unsecured. Ouch, what an error! Especially when some of the emails released are of prominent people. "Among them are New York Times Co. CEO Janet Robinson, Diane Sawyer of ABC News, film mogul Harvey Weinstein, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, and even White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel."

I hope nobody at MR was among those affected. The spam fallout may be awful.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
If they didn't get credit cards or passwords, shouldn't be too much of a problem.
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
but Apple is alll about exploiting the "insecurity", right?
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I really don't like the headlines for this piece of news. The security hole was at AT&T, but the way the headlines read, you'd think there is a major security loophole with the iPad. Sure, if you have an iPad 3G, you must use the AT&T network, but still, I find it misleading.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I really don't like the headlines for this piece of news. The security hole was at AT&T, but the way the headlines read, you'd think there is a major security loophole with the iPad. Sure, if you have an iPad 3G, you must use the AT&T network, but still, I find it misleading.
Not really. If you read past the paragraph where it says - "DailyTech reports" (with the news papers headline - "AT&T's Gaping Hole Exposes 114,000 iPad 3G Buyers' Email Addresses") you read on the next paragraph, in this post, that it was AT&Ts fault.

"Apparently AT&T left a public interface to their database unsecured."

That many e-mail addresses exposed is news, no matter the who or the what of it.

What is really bad is that White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel is using an unsecured communication device.

I do, and you probably do not, know the incredible stupidity of that.

Please understand - I AM NOT TALKING POLITICS. I'm talking the security of our president, and of our country.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert