Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
herrmartell
herrmartell began at the beginning.

Device: Android GT P4WiFi
EPUB on Google Play Books shows black bars

Hi. I got the Manga Guide to Calculus on ePub format. I read all my ebooks on the Google Play Books app for Android.

For what I've seen, the manga guide to calculus is all images. I've looked in to the css, and found a single code with a property of

Code:
bgcolor: #000000
But when I modify that, or anything else of the eBook with Calibre, and I upload it to Play Books, it says the book cannot be processed.

Can anyone help me solve this?

TL;DR: Book made of images shows black bars at the sides on Google Play Books.
herrmartell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
What happens if you remove that line completely?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #3
herrmartell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
What happens if you remove that line completely?
I tried it just now. I get the same "this file cannot be processed" error.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I must admit I thought the up-to-date correct CSS to use for a black background would be something like
Code:
body {background-color: #000000}
in the CSS file rather than bgcolor. But if Google Play Books is not rejecting your original it doesn't sound like this is the problem.

When you opened the epub in the calibre Editor did you run 'Check Book' to make sure there were no errors? Does the edited epub open OK in the calibre Viewer?

I don't use GPB often enough to know its quirks. Have you tried any other Android reading apps to see if your book is valid there?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Actually, jackie_w makes a good point. Are you using calibre's editor, or Sigil, or are you just opening the epub zip file and viewing the internal docs?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 10:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I must admit I thought the up-to-date correct CSS to use for a black background would be something like
Code:
in the CSS file rather than bgcolor. But if Google Play Books is not rejecting your original it doesn't sound like this is the problem.

When you opened the epub in the calibre Editor did you run 'Check Book' to make sure there were no errors? Does the edited epub open OK in the calibre Viewer?

I don't use GPB often enough to know its quirks. Have you tried any other Android reading apps to see if your book is valid there?
If you set body Background to Black, you would also need to set text to: color: white

or
assign a separate body.class to those pages without text

Calibre tweak-book (the editor) has a very good validator
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:13 AM   #7
herrmartell

Quote:
Code:
That is correct. My mistake. It is correctly written on the CSS file.

Quote:
There are no errors, just a few warnings about some -webkit specific attributes.

Quote:
Mmm no, I haven't tried other apps. But I do not wish to change from reading app, my tablet is very old and from previous attemps at reading other books, this is the one which works the best on my device.

I'm not even sure changing the black CSS to white is changing anything, since those bars do not appear on the Calibre viewer.

Perhaps there's another solution?

Quote:
Actually, jackie_w makes a good point. Are you using calibre's editor, or Sigil, or are you just opening the epub zip file and viewing the internal docs?
I'm using calibre's editor.

Quote:
If you set body Background to Black, you would also need to set text to: color: white
This ebook has no text, just images of text.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:15 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmartell View Post
That is correct. My mistake. It is correctly written on the CSS file.

There are no errors, just a few warnings about some -webkit specific attributes.

Mmm no, I haven't tried other apps. But I do not wish to change from reading app, my tablet is very old and from previous attemps at reading other books, this is the one which works the best on my device.

I'm not even sure changing the black CSS to white is changing anything, since those bars do not appear on the Calibre viewer.

Perhaps there's another solution?

I'm using calibre's editor.

This ebook has no text, just images of text.
Not to interrupt all this fun trouble-shooting, but is it possible that the "black bars" are simply the background displaying due to the aspect ratio of the manga pages/images NOT being the same as your eReader? I mean, if the aspect ratio is different--so that the image page is narrower, in width, than the device--then making the pages fit the screen exactly would distort the page.

OR, is your preference that the background color be something other than black?

Which is the desired result? That the image fills the width of the screen, regardless of other issues, or that you want to change the color of the background (that's called margin).

If the only goal is to change the background color, then you should be able to do that by changing the color in the CSS. Do you know if this Manga book is in ePUB3 or ePUB2?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 PM   #9
herrmartell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Not to interrupt all this fun trouble-shooting, but is it possible that the "black bars" are simply the background displaying due to the aspect ratio of the manga pages/images NOT being the same as your eReader? I mean, if the aspect ratio is different--so that the image page is narrower, in width, than the device--then making the pages fit the screen exactly would distort the page.

OR, is your preference that the background color be something other than black?

Which is the desired result? That the image fills the width of the screen, regardless of other issues, or that you want to change the color of the background (that's called margin).

If the only goal is to change the background color, then you should be able to do that by changing the color in the CSS. Do you know if this Manga book is in ePUB3 or ePUB2?

Hitch
The images are in fact, stretched to fill most of the screen. What is not filled by the image, indeed appears black. I want it white. Or at least, a color that could change between white and orange-yellow-ish (if I use night mode) together with the image.

My problem is, I only see those black bars on GPBs, and if I change the book's CSS (no matter if just a blank space), GPBs says the book can't be processed.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmartell View Post
The images are in fact, stretched to fill most of the screen. What is not filled by the image, indeed appears black. I want it white. Or at least, a color that could change between white and orange-yellow-ish (if I use night mode) together with the image.

My problem is, I only see those black bars on GPBs, and if I change the book's CSS (no matter if just a blank space), GPBs says the book can't be processed.
Well, I wondered if perhaps the book was ePUB3, because perhaps when Calibre editor saves it, it alters some of the ePUB3 coding. (Disclosure: I know NOTHING about the Calibre editor, really, and less than that about Google Play Books. You've been warned.)

Just as Sigil used to be not usable, for ePUB3 (or fixed-layout--another idea), because when it saved the file, it would override/overwrite the existing coding, to make an ePUB2-compatible book, is it possible that the Calibre editor is changing something in the metadata, or {insert list of possible stuff here, too long to list}, that is incompatible with the book? Like my example of trying to edit an ePUB3 file, with an ePUB2 editor?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote