Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #76
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The end result? No difference whatsoever. As I've stated in another thread, I've done exactly that myself - bought another complete set of HP books, and download the pirated eBooks.

However, my point is that it's unreasonable to expect media companies not to regard this as piracy. They cannot know that I've bought the extra set of books, and I rather suspect that most people who download the pirated books do not do this. I regard the media companies as being absolutely within their rights to come after illegal downloaders.
I love how disconnected the DMCA is from the experiences of normal people. It's morally okay to rip your own DVDs and It's morally okay to engage a 3rd party to do the ripping by downloading from a torrent site, but both are illegal. Media companies are within their rights to go after downloaders, but downloaders should have a balancing defence for media shifting; the lack of balance in the DMCA and similar pieces of copyright legislation is the real problem. Expecting a balanced approach to copyright law is not unreasonable.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #77
sbroome
Youngsta
sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sbroome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just embed a qr code inside the packaging.
sbroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #78
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
I love how disconnected the DMCA is from the experiences of normal people. It's morally okay to rip your own DVDs and It's morally okay to engage a 3rd party to do the ripping by downloading from a torrent site, but both are illegal. Media companies are within their rights to go after downloaders, but downloaders should have a balancing defence for media shifting; the lack of balance in the DMCA and similar pieces of copyright legislation is the real problem. Expecting a balanced approach to copyright law is not unreasonable.
Ethics and the law became disconnected a long time ago. All that matters now is greed.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #79
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Ethics and the law became disconnected a long time ago. All that matters now is greed.
Succint, and accurate. In many more realms than copyright.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #80
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Succint, and accurate. In many more realms than copyright.

Not really all that accurate, fortunately, and overly simplistic at best.

EXCEPT in the realm of copyright, where it seems to be right on the nose.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #81
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not really all that accurate, fortunately, and overly simplistic at best.

EXCEPT in the realm of copyright, where it seems to be right on the nose.
Really? Maybe I'm overly jaundiced by the likes of "The K Street Project", Grover Norquist, the Koch brothers, "Citizens United", SuperPAC's and 501(c) corporations?

You may be right though, sometimes there is a little gold in the dung.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #82
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
On that I don't agree.

Format shifting should be legal as should the tools to do so, however, it should be up to the individual to do the shifting or a 3rd party that knows you have the right to do so.

Torrenting a movie to save doing the re-encode yourself doesn't sit well with me because there's no way for the person(s) distributing the torrent to know the people downloading have the right to do so.

That's in contrast to you ripping/encoding a film at home, your neighbour pops round (who you know also owns the film) and asks for a copy to save them the time. That would be fine imo.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #83
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Really? Maybe I'm overly jaundiced by the likes of "The K Street Project", Grover Norquist, the Koch brothers, "Citizens United", SuperPAC's and 501(c) corporations?

You may be right though, sometimes there is a little gold in the dung.
Please try to keep to the thread topic, and not veer off into territory that is best left to the Politics and Religion forum.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #84
plib
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Please try to keep to the thread topic, and not veer off into territory that is best left to the Politics and Religion forum.
OK. I've smacked myself!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #85
Jobby
Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jobby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The horse has bolted. Quick, shut the gate!
Jobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #86
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I'd rather just them give me an iTunes code for the movie. This seems like too much work. But I also can do this service myself at home, which I have.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #87
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I'd rather just them give me an iTunes code for the movie.
Not enough friction
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #88
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Is this what they were talking about? It looks like a Walmart and Ultraviolet exclusive.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #89
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
Is this what they were talking about? It looks like a Walmart and Ultraviolet exclusive.
Such a mess.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #90
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Relevant blog post from a developer of DVD tools I like:
http://www.tools4movies.com/2012/01/digital-copies/
(note, I'm pretty sure his first language is not English.)
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote